Vermont versus Drexel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MongutheDoggy

Reaction score
What are people’s opinions of the two when compared to each other?

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I would choose Vermont. Drexel is going through some difficulties with the Hahnemann closure. They are opening a second medical campus in West Reading, currently under construction. In a few years, I might feel differently, but for 2021 I'd choose Vermont. I think Vermont is ranked a little higher and has a more manageable class size. I like Vermont's curriculum and the Vermont/Connecticut campus options.

Reactions: 1 user
I would also say Vermont because of the Hahnemann debacle, the smaller class size, and the rotation locations. On top of that, their current building feels pretty old/worn down (I guess half of your pre-clinical years would be in the new building, but that seems like a hassle to move halfway through). Moving to Reading, Pittsburgh, or Northern CA for rotations? That was a big no for me too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually think you could do well at either tbh. Med school is what you put into it. As the above poster mentioned their west campus should be open by the time you hit the wards. Tbh third year clinical sites are not always so close together but it does give you opportunities for clinical sites serving different hospitals and populations. I think the hanemman closure is overblown as their large class had multiple sites even then-meant way more for the residencies there. Obviously lots of CA people so Drexel May have opened a site. Where it does matter is home residency departments to get letters of rec (those would come from rotation sites). Being in philly your opportunity to rotate at Jeff or penn in any specialty also exists if those letters are lacking. For some people the small class and remote locale of Vermont and more homogenous class size would be off putting. Philly suits some people. Run the numbers, get a roommate. You can do well from either! Good luck doc

I actually think you could do well at either tbh. Med school is what you put into it. As the above poster mentioned their west campus should be open by the time you hit the wards. Tbh third year clinical sites are not always so close together but it does give you opportunities for clinical sites serving different hospitals and populations. I think the hanemman closure is overblown as their large class had multiple sites even then-meant way more for the residencies there. Obviously lots of CA people so Drexel May have opened a site. Where it does matter is home residency departments to get letters of rec (those would come from rotation sites). Being in philly your opportunity to rotate at Jeff or penn in any specialty also exists if those letters are lacking. For some people the small class and remote locale of Vermont and more homogenous class size would be off putting. Philly suits some people. Run the numbers, get a roommate. You can do well from either! Good luck doc

VT would be my choice--students are very happy, class size is smaller. On the VT campus, you have the same faculty for clinical rotations that you do for M1/M2, so you get to know them well (good for LOR). If you are concerned about the remote location or the lack of diversity in the VT patient population, you can choose the CT campus, which is much more diverse (both in patients and staff).

Go for UVM. Having lived in Philly for a bit, Drexel is at the bottom of the barrel in an oversaturated healthcare market. I agree with the above comment that they get overshadowed not only by UPenn but also Jefferson and Temple.

I‘m a Drexel student and can second that the Hahnemann closure is overblown by people who don’t know much about it. Also I’d be interested in hearing what the above posters mean about Drexel being so “overshadowed”? Philadelphia is a big city with clinical opportunities to go around, not to mention Drexel has clinical sites across PA and even one in CA, if that one sticks. I don’t hear many horror stories about rotations and we still have a solid match list.

That being said, I would go with whatever option is cheapest and/or the location you’re most interested in. To my knowledge, neither is a much more ”renowned” school. Just wanted to point out that both cons for Drexel I’ve see aren’t really cons from a current student’s POV, but take that as you will. Real cons of Drexel I would say are having to potentially move for 3rd and/or 4th year and the crazy high tuition. Other than that, I love my professors and feel administration is receptive to our needs.

Reactions: 1 users