Vertebrate bio vs. Cell bio vs. genetics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PedioDr0185

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys which class do you all recommend that I take for next semester because it will be most beneficial to me in dental school? The choices are cell biology, vertebrate bio (anatomy of various organisms...i think there is a cat dissection) or genetics (with a emphasis on human heredity).

Also does anyone have any info on Indiana University School of Dentistry? There are a lot of people that are saying they were rejected already with DATs in the 20s and decent GPAs.

Is IUSD comparable to Boston and NYU?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say either the vertebrate class or cell bio. Genetics isn't really going to help in dental school. I'd probably go for the vertebrate class. The dissections will help with working with your hands...

I'd take whatever you're most interested in.

Members don't see this ad :)
D) none of the above

party....hahahahahahha

i don't know what the vertebrate class is like, but cell bio is way more useful than genetics. cell bio will come in handy for immunology and other cell related stuff, but you'll probably never see the genetics stuff again.

i don't know what the vertebrate class is like, but cell bio is way more useful than genetics. cell bio will come in handy for immunology and other cell related stuff, but you'll probably never see the genetics stuff again.

Agreed. Cell biology will kick your butt while you're taking it, but it definitely helped me out for my upper division biology classes (molecular microbiology and immunology) and it will help you with dental school. Cell bio fo' sho'.

I have taken all 3. I think both vertebrate anatomy and cell bio will be useful once you're in dental school. As someone mentioned already, cell bio will help with immunology and other related fields and the anatomy in my opinion will give you an introduction to the terms and some info for gross. The lab was great at my school for vertebrate anatomy... lots of dissections. If I had to choose one of the three not to take, it would be genetics. It's a great class, I just don't see one using it all that much once in dental school and the lab is just busy work... at least it was for me.

I've taken immuno and micro already....

I took the vertebrate morphology class, and it was the most challenging class I ever took. Nonetheless, I learned a lot and now feel pretty comfortable with memorizing a large volume of information, which is definitely useful in dental school. Knowing the muscle insertion, origin, function will definitely help you with the anatomy course in dental school. The upper div cell bio was alright... it's somewhat a repetition of what you learned in general bio but much more in-depth. As others suggested, I would rather take vertebrate morphology over genetics. Best of luck to you!

-Dentalist