Very annoying dilemma regarding letters of recommendation.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mattrex35

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the ADEA application, if I can recall, we have a maximum of 4 slots/recommendations. I have 2 slots reserved for 2 science professors, and 1 slot reserved for my dentist. However, some schools force you to have 1 non science/liberal arts recommendation. I'm not close with anyone in the non science field. I really want a LOR from my research instructor, since I've co authored papers and have known him for more than 3 years. My dentist and my research professor I'm equally very close with, so sacrificing one will physically hurt me :/

Every school has a different set of letter requirements. Out of all the schools I'm applying to, only 1 require a non science. The rest are more liberal with who applicants should pick. I'm a first time applicant, so I'm new to this. Many schools require 3 letters, but I'm going to get 4. When I submit my application, are dental schools going to get all 4 regardless? Will they ignore one of them depending on which school and the requirements?

Was anyone in the same situation? Do I have to make that sacrifice? I really wish there was a choice to have more than 4 letters of recommendation, so that I can hand pick which letters to send to each school, since every school has such a different requirement.

edit: I actually have one liberal arts professor I have in mind, so I'm good with that. Now its just me deciding between my instructor and liberal arts professor.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm posting here because this is a question I want to separately get answered. One of the schools I'm applying to (NOVA) requires 1 liberal arts recommendation. But many other schools want 2 science, 1 dentist, and one professional/adviser. NOVA is one of those schools I want to get in, but I've also applied broadly to many other schools that don't need a non science. If I were to replace that nonscience with my research professor's recommendation, will I get an automatic rejection from NOVA because I didn't have a non science recommendation?

Either drop the letter from your PI and take a non-science course next semester and get a letter from that instructor to meet the requirement, or contact Nova directly to explain your situation and ask if they are willing to make an exception.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm posting here because this is a question I want to separately get answered. One of the schools I'm applying to (NOVA) requires 1 liberal arts recommendation. But many other schools want 2 science, 1 dentist, and one professional/adviser. NOVA is one of those schools I want to get in, but I've also applied broadly to many other schools that don't need a non science. If I were to replace that nonscience with my research professor's recommendation, will I get an automatic rejection from NOVA because I didn't have a non science recommendation?
I didn't even realize NOVA had the liberal arts letter requirement until you mentioned it. I never submitted a liberal arts recommendation but just finished my interview at NOVA this past week. They didn't mention it in the interview and I highly doubt it will be the deciding factor of an acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
When I submit my application, are dental schools going to get all 4 regardless?
Yes
Will they ignore one of them depending on which school and the requirements?
Unlikely - they will probably look at the letter and consider it, even if it's not part of their requirements (because it's still a confidential letter that talks about you).
What you can simply do is put your research professor's letter on AADSAS, and then email Nova saying you've filled all four slots on AADSAS with strong letters, and that you would like to send your non-science letter in separately, and ask how they'd like to receive it (mailed by the writer, emailed by the writer, etc). I think it's best to get a non-science letter (I'm sure you've taken GEs) just for them, rather than risking it and not sending one in, and having your application be rejected because of that and then losing that chance and app money. Doughboi got lucky! But, a requirement is a requirement and I would really try not to risk it.

Reactions: 1 users
@predntl @doughboi @artist2022 Thank you so much for your replies! Concerning my lack of knowing a liberal arts professor, I actually have one I'm pretty close with, so I'm good with that. Artist2022, thank you for the response, I will definitely contact them.

Reactions: 1 user

I applied with two science prof and 2 dentist and have received several interviews, including Nova. if that helps

i also applied with 2 science, 1 dentist and then i had my boss from my work write me one (totally un-science related and not dentistry at all) and also got an interview at nova plus 4 more. I would go with the person who is going to write you the best letter (probably your research instructor) for that last slot. An amazing letter from someone you know well will benefit you more than an ~okay one from a liberal arts professor.