very bitter about not being able to do medicine....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

intuition

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
sorry, for the rant...but I just need to get this out..
I hate that I'm so freaking stupid, that I'll probably never get into medicine. I've wanted this for a long time...yes alot of my reasons are shallow, but its so so hard to let go of this dream...I mean how can you let go of a dream you've held on to for sooo long? I feel like a different person now, now that I know I'll never make it.

and I'll never make it because my grades stink and I have more W's than the fingers on you and your moms. I hate this I hate my life, and I hate that my dream will never come true of being a doctor. maybe I should let go and find something I'm good at. I swear, if I was getting all A's then I wouldn't have had doubts of not getting into med school. I'm a big let down to myself , and especially my parents.

Members don't see this ad.

I hate that I'm so freaking stupid, that I'll probably never get into medicine. I've wanted this for a long time...yes alot of my reasons are shallow, but its so so hard to let go of this dream...I mean how can you let go of a dream you've held on to for sooo long? I feel like a different person now, now that I know I'll never make it.

and I'll never make it because my grades stink and I have more W's than the fingers on you and your moms. I hate this I hate my life, and I hate that my dream will never come true of being a doctor. maybe I should let go and find something I'm good at. I swear, if I was getting all A's then I wouldn't have had doubts of not getting into med school. I'm a big let down to myself , and especially my parents.

Some people aren't built for certain things. For example, not everyone can be a pro basketball player. Cheer up, life isn't all about being a doctor, even for those who are doctors.

Some people aren't built for certain things. For example, not everyone can be a pro basketball player. Cheer up, life isn't all about being a doctor, even for those who are doctors.

i understand ...but I 've always wanted to do something GREAT with my life, do something respectable to earn people's respect, and get rich...and honestly, now i won't have it :(

Members don't see this ad :)
i understand ...but I 've always wanted to do something GREAT with my life, do something respectable to earn people's respect, and get rich...and honestly, now i won't have it :(

You can always do something great with your life even if you aren't in medicine.

Did you have some personal issues that resulted in the W's?

it sounds like you really werent interested in medicine for the right reasons anyway. dont you think you would have eventually been miserable? you'll find respect of your peers by excelling at something youre good at and feel passionate for.

and now you have the opportunity to actually accomplish these things...

it sounds like you really werent interested in medicine for the right reasons anyway. dont you think you would have eventually been miserable? you'll find respect of your peers by excelling at something youre good at and feel passionate for.

well, honestly, and i'm gonna get alot of drama about this..but ALL my life..the only thing i've yearned to do was please and impress people. and I figure if I do this med school thing people would finally think i'm not dumb. and its not even that its also a great option financially, and the hours are good too, and its a very respectable field, and I really enjoy interacting with people

If you really have a passion for medicine...why not try to be a PA or nurse.

You can always do something great with your life even if you aren't in medicine.

Did you have some personal issues that resulted in the W's?

yesssssssssssssssss

I have bipolar disorder..so the semester's where it wasn't much of a problem i'd get 3.7's and the semesters where it got really bad, i ended up with a few C's and B's and prob 1 A, and there was even a semester where I had to leave with all Ws because it got sooooo bad

I don't know if your interested in anesthesia, but honestly nurse anesthetists cover the vast majority of surgeries these days...while the anesthesiologist sits in the lounge reading the paper.

It's called a post bac program. find a school that fits you and go for it.

If you really have a passion for medicine...why not try to be a PA or nurse.

I know some people are gonna grill me on this..but i just have to be honest. its because its not that hard to become a PA or a nurse, and most aren't respected by society as in they're not seen as in the same status as doctors are. and also, my parents would prob not like the idea. I'm notttttt saying i don't respect them myself, but i know the kids in highschool who used to think i was dumb would still think i'm dumb if i become a nurse or PA..please don't take offense, i'm just saying how i feel

It's called a post bac program. find a school that fits you and go for it.

i know about that but I'm already in 60 K debt (seriously) and I'm poor so i don't have the money. and its not even that entirely...just doing a program doesn't guarantee anything, so whats the point..i mean I def would have if I knew i'd suceed but i don't feel like i would since i did so bad in undergrad if you know what i mean. and I was looking at med school classes and I honestly don't think i'd be able to digest the material

Members don't see this ad :)
trollish thread. who would ever write such a thing.
i've been trolled because i had similiar grades and i want to live my dream. and not a DO but an MD.

i had a semester of W's because my grades were so crappy i thought that W's would be better to my GPA.

here troll, here's a cookie

people like you, intuition, often end up in politics.

I know some people are gonna grill me on this..but i just have to be honest. its because its not that hard to become a PA or a nurse, and most aren't respected by society as in they're not seen as in the same status as doctors are. and also, my parents would prob not like the idea. I'm notttttt saying i don't respect them myself, but i know the kids in highschool who used to think i was dumb would still think i'm dumb if i become a nurse or PA..please don't take offense, i'm just saying how i feel

I don't think you are in a position to judge. Sorry.

trollish thread. who would ever write such a thing.
i've been trolled because i had similiar grades and i want to live my dream. and not a DO but an MD.

i had a semester of W's because my grades were so crappy i thought that W's would be better to my GPA.

here troll, here's a cookie

wow, great forum..where i can get helpful advice without being attacked

wow, great forum..where i can get helpful advice without being attacked

did you really expect to start a thread like this and not be subjected to it?

edit for ******ed post

When you apply to med school, make sure you mention in your personal statement about how you want to earn people's respect and want to get rich. Mention getting rich in your first sentence. That always gets everyone's attention.

Why are people called trolls/attacked for being honest?

chocolate or peanutbutter?

Why are people called trolls/attacked for being honest?

The OP is criticizing other jobs because they aren't "prestigious" enough. Come on, give me a break. You think most doctors wake up and are fulfilled because the world thinks they are Gods? I don't think so.

OP if you can't make the grades, thats tough. Find a new dream if one is impossible. Just because a person has a dream doesn't mean it will/is destined to come true. Sorry.

The OP is criticizing other jobs because they aren't "prestigious" enough. Come on, give me a break. You think most doctors wake up and are fulfilled because the world thinks they are Gods? I don't think so.

OP if you can't make the grades, thats tough. Find a new dream if one is impossible. Just because a person has a dream doesn't mean it will/is destined to come true. Sorry.

i never said i don't think they're prestigious enough...just the people around me, and probably everywhere too.\

and I know I hate that i can't make the grades, i blame it on self esteem

i don't know how i'm gonna let go of this dream though....

To the OP:

Well, you obviously don't have any true interest in medicine. You don't have to look at medicine like its the priesthood, but most people who go into it have some kind of passion for it. They like the science behind it, and are interested in making a difference in the lives of others. You already know you don't have any real interest in medicine. If you had, you would have put a lot more effort into getting better grades.
It sounds like you're more interested in prestige and money, which are among the last reasons you should choose medicine, especially since income has gone down considerably for physicians due to lowered reimbursements. There are plenty of other prestigious and lucrative careers out there besides medicine. Why not try your hand at something like business administration or investment banking?
On another note, why do you care what your parents think of your career? Its your life, not theirs. You have to do something you're good at and you find fulfilling. You don't pick a career just to get approval from others.

Try Optomotry, its easier to get into, you are still called doctor and you will make a lot of money. Its 9 to 5 unless you work at a mall. Podiatrist and Chiropractors also do well.

OP, there are lots of great jobs where you can get rich and earn people's respect other than medicine, real estate agent, hedge fund manager, personal trainer to film stars....just use your imagination. I mean go on the Hedge Fund Manager forum, those folks are crazy but they get respect and you have a better chance of getting rich....wait a minute, how about a character actress in the next Sex and the City Movie, or just get a job at Google and get some good stock options.

First of all, get on some medication for that bi-polar disorder and go for a physician assistant if you really want to help people. If you just want to prove yourself to others i'm afraid the light at the end of the tunnel looks very bleak.

Keep in mind that there are MANY avenues you can take to get rich, have a respectable career, have a meaningful life, have an ENJOYABLE career.

There are many options:

business
law
engineering
starting a company
phd
other medical disciplines (pharmacy, dentistry, therapy)
etc.

You may be right, medicine might not be in your future, but that doesn't mean you cannot have an equally fulfilling career.

Look at your options, maybe something else is an even better fit!

Make a difference, be a k-12 teacher.

Why are you bitter? You did not do what you needed to in order to get accepted. Go ahead and find another career path. Medicine is not the only worthwhile profession.

Why are you bitter? You did not do what you needed to in order to get accepted. Go ahead and find another career path. Medicine is not the only worthwhile profession.

I have to agree here. If you had achieved a strong GPA and a good MCAT score, your bitterness might be understandable. But you didn't do the work needed to achieve admission to med school. No one gets handed the opportunity to study medicine. You have to earn it.

Make a difference, be a k-12 teacher.
Seriously.

Intuition, I remember you. I do because your posts are always so negative and I find that funny given your screenname.

Also, yes you were going into medicine for all the wrong reasons. I mean, if you really had any passion, you'd play up that "bi-polar disorder", go do a post-bac, and redeem yourself.

Oh, and you really have no respect for some of the hardest working individuals in medicine. You're crying about pre-med classes, yet mouthing off about nurses and PAs. Go become one, go see how easy it is, and get back to me.

"But nobody will respect me." You're not looking for a meaningful career, you're looking to fix some God-complex.

Oh, and you really have no respect for some of the hardest working individuals in medicine. You're crying about pre-med classes, yet mouthing off about nurses and PAs. Go become one, go see how easy it is, and get back to me.

Hey, in med school, I've met plenty of nurses and PA's who really know their stuff and are absolutely dedicated to patient care. They are invaluable to the team. So if that's not respectable, I don't know what is.

Man, I TOTALLY agree with what you're saying. Except, for me, just replace med school with Jessica Alba...

Hey, in med school, I've met plenty of nurses and PA's who really know their stuff and are absolutely dedicated to patient care. They are invaluable to the team. So if that's not respectable, I don't know what is.
Definitely. My granny was a nurse for a thousand years. She was very dedicated.

I don't understand why it means so much to you and why you are so upset if you clearly said yourself that your reasons for wanting to be a doctor are shallow. Why are you worrying so much about what other people think of your career choice? Especially people who "thought you were stupid" in HS..what, are you worried about reunions that happen every 10 or so years? You shouldn't go into any career, especially not one in which you sacrifice so much for, for your parents. And I'm sure the prestige/respect you feel of being called "Dr." lasts for maybe your first day of internship until you realize it isn't the cushy respect-gaining job you've pictured. Not from a lot of patients who think they're right even though they've had 0 yrs medical training and not from some of your senior colleagues. In residency you'll likely be not earning very much $, working long hours & not be able to go out & do the things & have the things your friends who already have a stable, good job do.

This all probably isn't what you want to hear, but maybe it's good that you're forced to consider other careers now. But if it is what you really want, you should consider DO, PA, and dare I say nurse?? If you love the science, medicine & helping people..if you can deal with not having an M.D. after your name, which isn't everything in life. I'm sure people know DO's aren't flipping burgers at Wendys.:rolleyes:

Edit: I'm not saying it's not a respectable or admirable job, just that it doesn't =respect from everyone you come across. And the sacrifice is obviously worth it for some people. You just seem to be going into it for the wrong reasons.

Last edited:
I don't understand why it means so much to you and why you are so upset if you clearly said yourself that your reasons for wanting to be a doctor are shallow. Why are you worrying so much about what other people think of your career choice? Especially people who "thought you were stupid" in HS..what, are you worried about reunions that happen every 10 or so years? You shouldn't go into any career, especially not one in which you sacrifice so much for, for your parents. And I'm sure the prestige/respect you feel of being called "Dr." lasts for maybe your first day of internship until you realize it isn't the cushy respect-gaining job you've pictured. Not from a lot of patients who think they're right even though they've had 0 yrs medical training and not from some of your senior colleagues. In residency you'll likely be not earning very much $, working long hours & not be able to go out & do the things & have the things your friends who already have a stable, good job do.

This all probably isn't what you want to hear, but maybe it's good that you're forced to consider other careers now. But if it is what you really want, you should consider DO, PA, and dare I say nurse?? If you love the science, medicine & helping people..if you can deal with not having an M.D. after your name, which isn't everything in life. I'm sure people know DO's aren't flipping burgers at Wendys.:rolleyes:

It seems to me that the OP has a lot of personal/identity/intellectual issues to sort through before she will be ready to pursue any career effectively. To be honest she is probably just venting because, to her, it seems like nothing in her life goes right. However, once she pulls herself out of the abyss she may actually be able to look at life and find some sort of meaningful purpose (and/or career).

go to law school, study medicine like in your dreams so you can become the best malpractice lawyer possible, and that should placate any bitterness you have.

It seems to me that the OP has a lot of personal/identity/intellectual issues to sort through before she will be ready to pursue any career effectively. To be honest she is probably just venting because, to her, it seems like nothing in her life goes right. However, once she pulls herself out of the abyss she may actually be able to look at life and find some sort of meaningful purpose (and/or career).

I was going to add something to that effect but decided my post was long enough.

Keep in mind that there are MANY avenues you can take to get rich, have a respectable career, have a meaningful life, have an ENJOYABLE career.

There are many options:

business
law
engineering
starting a company
phd
other medical disciplines (pharmacy, dentistry, therapy)
etc.

You may be right, medicine might not be in your future, but that doesn't mean you cannot have an equally fulfilling career.

Look at your options, maybe something else is an even better fit!

If he can't maintain grades even close to med school level, I don't see engineering working out too well... Same goes for the PhD, pharmacy, but hey definitely go for business.

you're not missing out ...

if i had known beforehand what medicine is really like, I would've gone to pharmacy school.

edit for ******ed post

intuition, I feel this serves you well.

Its not that you're stupid, its probaby that you aren't inspired. Work harder and freaking study your material. Go to a D.O. school or do a post-bac. Stop trying to fix some sort of deep God-complex by becoming a doctor. It isn't going to work for you.

Bottom line: Stop feeling sorry for yourself and do something about it.

Things are referred to as swallow because they will ultimately result in disappointment. There are a lot of people who do things for shallow reasons.....and they are miserable and regret doing so.

Keep your head up. Find something you love for the right reasons and go kick some butt!!

I have to agree here. If you had achieved a strong GPA and a good MCAT score, your bitterness might be understandable. But you didn't do the work needed to achieve admission to med school. No one gets handed the opportunity to study medicine. You have to earn it.

he said he had bipolar disorder which caused most of the low marks... if that's true then its NOT his lack of effort that caused it... but the bad hand of cards he was dealt.

I say if you truly want it.... do everything you can to get the bipolar under control. Realize that this disorder has hindered your dream up to this point, and will likely hinder your future success as well., Until you overcome it, you will never acheive the goals you set out for yourself.

Start a new degree or perhaps go to the school and tell them of your plight to see if they change the W's (since you were ill). Rewrite the MCAT when your mentally able and keep trying.

Join the NBA I think that its pretty prestiogious and you only have a 7-10 workshift :thumbup: