very bitter about not being able to do medicine....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so what!!I know I'm not only speaking for myself when I say it takes a longer time for me to understand/register/apply concepts and do problems in my sciences than someone of high "intelligence" ( or so they say so) or someone who "gets it" right away. But at the end of the day I win!!

this is because...I did alot better in a physics exam, then the girls/guys who sat around me who would constantly be bothered if I didn't understand a concept, and then them having to explain it to me (my prof asks group questions). Yuck. I could see the look in their eyes, internally saying "wow, this girl knows absolutely nothing, I can't believe she wants to go to med school"

but you know what? at the end of the day, I worked my butt off to understand and do well.

so...so what if it takes me longer to "get" or understand things!!:)
:thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad.

Why are people called trolls/attacked for being honest?
Beverley Hills. MDPrincess. I guess it is inevitable to feed the damn things...

Last edited:
If you really have a passion for medicine...why not try to be a PA or nurse.

:thumbup: NP, RN, PA....or a pharmacist
do not despair. you can still work in the medical field;) and it can still be very fulfilling.

Members don't see this ad :)
and I figure if I do this med school thing people would finally think i'm not dumb.

Newsflash buddy: You're as dumb as a rock because you can't pull decent grades in college.

"But nobody will respect me." You're not looking for a meaningful career, you're looking to fix some God-complex.

It sounds more like a "Daddy* had boundary issues" complex. Seen it once, seen it a thousand times.

*Daddy, Uncle Paul, Papa Joe, Nana Doreen, it's all the same.

Your immediate problem is you prefer whining and feeling sorry for yourself over performing objective analysis of what went wrong, and making positive changes. The larger problem is you have no idea what you want or who you are.
You have food, shelter, and the opportunities to do so much more than many people on this planet. Life is too short to be spent navel gazing, get some help and make it happen.

he said he had bipolar disorder which caused most of the low marks... if that's true then its NOT his lack of effort that caused it... but the bad hand of cards he was dealt.

I say if you truly want it.... do everything you can to get the bipolar under control. Realize that this disorder has hindered your dream up to this point, and will likely hinder your future success as well., Until you overcome it, you will never acheive the goals you set out for yourself.

Start a new degree or perhaps go to the school and tell them of your plight to see if they change the W's (since you were ill). Rewrite the MCAT when your mentally able and keep trying.

I agree. OP, u have bipolar and the best thing you can do for yourself now is to get better. See a doctor and get it under control. I know you must be thinking that most people in the world don't understand you. So why ask the ppl on SDN for answer? Go to a doctor and get help. Surround yourself with ppl who can help you instead of ppl on the web who don't understand your story. Get better first. Then fight the battle. In the end, even if you fail, you tried.

By the way, I have a friend who has ADD and she kind of in the same situation as u. lots of W and bad grades. But she did her best and got in to medical school in NY.

well, honestly, and i'm gonna get alot of drama about this..but ALL my life..the only thing i've yearned to do was please and impress people. and I figure if I do this med school thing people would finally think i'm not dumb.

Maybe think about a career in entertainment. I don't mean being a clown--of course--but I do mean things like writing, or playing music, or acting. People always need to be entertained, and at least for me, a good entertainer is quite pleasing and impressive. But others' opinions of you aren't usually built upon specific attempts by you to change others opinions of you, if that makes sense. What I'm trying to say here is that you must first please and impress yourself, and then these favorable opinions you seek will naturally arise.

Best of luck.

Your immediate problem is you prefer whining and feeling sorry for yourself over performing objective analysis of what went wrong, and making positive changes. The larger problem is you have no idea what you want or who you are.
You have food, shelter, and the opportunities to do so much more than many people on this planet. Life is too short to be spent navel gazing, get some help and make it happen.

This pretty much sums it up.

you're not missing out ...

if i had known beforehand what medicine is really like, I would've gone to pharmacy school.

God damnit. The frequency of these kinds of posts is really making me wonder. (Not to mention Panda Bear's entire blog)

It sounds more like a "Daddy* had boundary issues" complex. Seen it once, seen it a thousand times.

*Daddy, Uncle Paul, Papa Joe, Nana Doreen, it's all the same.

it comes from abusive backgrounds with shi**y families.

I know some people are gonna grill me on this..but i just have to be honest. its because its not that hard to become a PA or a nurse, and most aren't respected by society as in they're not seen as in the same status as doctors are. and also, my parents would prob not like the idea. I'm notttttt saying i don't respect them myself, but i know the kids in highschool who used to think i was dumb would still think i'm dumb if i become a nurse or PA..please don't take offense, i'm just saying how i feel

Reeks of self-entitlement and elitism.

Members don't see this ad :)
Listen- if you can't hack it in undergrad, you're gonna fail out eventually in med school. this is a blessing in disguise, whether you realize it or not. find a different path. Have you seen how many docs are miserable? If you're not a troll, then I seriously suggest you find something else, it's well worth your time.

p.s. doing what your parents want you to do is the surest way to failure. parents live with outmoded desires/expectations. Life isn't going to give you a pension if you work for 30 years with the same company. This is the 21st century, you have to be flexible and malleable. There is more to life than being a physician. Heed this warning and avoid it.

Last edited:
Imagine how female docs feel - all those years of medical school, all that money, the nice white coat, and patients and their families still call us "nurse". :eek:

Thank goodness you did not waste your time and money to end up like that.

he said he had bipolar disorder which caused most of the low marks... if that's true then its NOT his lack of effort that caused it... but the bad hand of cards he was dealt.

I say if you truly want it.... do everything you can to get the bipolar under control. Realize that this disorder has hindered your dream up to this point, and will likely hinder your future success as well., Until you overcome it, you will never acheive the goals you set out for yourself.

Start a new degree or perhaps go to the school and tell them of your plight to see if they change the W's (since you were ill). Rewrite the MCAT when your mentally able and keep trying.

The bipolar disorder may have been a factor in the OP not doing well, this is true. I can't really argue with that. But it is one of several factors, IMHO. The OP has also admitted that he or she has no real interest in medicine. Basically, the OP only wants to do medicine because s/he thinks that becoming a doctor will make others respect him/her and because s/he will be able to earn a high income. In other words, the reason the OP wants to do medicine is to curb some self-esteem issues.
If the OP had a genuine interest in medicine, s/he would have probably put forth a lot more effort into his/her classes. That is what most premeds, who have a real passion for medicine, do. The passion for medicine is what drives so many premeds to become gunners, shooting for nothing less than an A.
In my opinion, the OP needs to take some time to mature and find something s/he is passionate about before committing to any kind of career. And s/he needs to pick a career for the right reasons, not because s/he thinks it will impress other people.

Keep in mind that there are MANY avenues you can take to get rich, have a respectable career, have a meaningful life, have an ENJOYABLE career.

There are many options:

business
law
engineering
starting a company
phd
other medical disciplines (pharmacy, dentistry, therapy)
etc.

You may be right, medicine might not be in your future, but that doesn't mean you cannot have an equally fulfilling career.

Look at your options, maybe something else is an even better fit!
Please don't recommend law, phD, pharmacy, dentistry, or therapy to a person who can't get into med school. Those programs are academically competitive and strenuous just like medicine.

It's like telling the OP- "If your grades are terrible, then you could try something else that you can't do with terrible grades."

:thumbup: NP, RN, PA....or a pharmacist
do not despair. you can still work in the medical field;) and it can still be very fulfilling.
hmmm... nurse or pharmacist???

Let's see. Does anyone realize how difficult it is to get into pharmacy school? I'm starting to think not. :rolleyes:

Let's see. Does anyone realize how difficult it is to get into pharmacy school? I'm starting to think not. :rolleyes:

I'd say it's easier to get into pharm school than med school. It's still difficult, but relatively speaking not as difficult.

Have you tried to get into pharmacy school?

No, but I have many friends who have and they ended up getting into pharm school and not med school.

GPA requirements are a lot lower for pharm school and the level of competition is not as high as for med school.

Go do some research, and then we'll talk.

I have done research. How do you think I know the GPA requirements? I'm actually considering applying to pharmacy school if med school does not work out for me so I have looked at this.

I have done research. How do you think I know the GPA requirements? I'm actually considering applying to pharmacy school if med school does not work out for me so I have looked at this.

Your personality is absolutely unbelievable. First the thread about "not settling" for medical schools, and now this. Good luck with the application/interview process.

Your personality is absolutely unbelievable. First the thread about "not settling" for medical schools, and now this. Good luck with the application/interview process.

oh comeon. there is something said about people with enough cash to get into med school.

What is your problem with me considering pharmacy schools as an alternative?

Did you expect anything less from someone who resides in Beverly Hills?

What is your problem with me considering pharmacy schools as an alternative?

Absolutely nothing. However, it's not cool to go head to head with a pharmacy student and look down on their accomplishments.

Absolutely nothing. However, it's not cool to go head to head with a pharmacy student and look down on their accomplishments.

I'm not looking down on anyone's accomplishments. I stated that pharmacy school is difficult to get into but not as much so as medical school simply because so many people are trying to get into med school. The applicant pool is larger so it makes it more competitive. It is true that GPA requirements are lower so it's possible that someone with stats that couldn't get into med school could still get into pharm school. I don't see anything wrong with saying that. I'm stating the facts that I know about both admission processes not putting anyone down.

sorry:oops: i did not mean to offend you. just wanted to suggest other options to the OP.

Princess you're not making many friends here are you?

Did you expect anything less from someone who resides in Beverly Hills?
Don't get intimidated by someone with their location as BH. If they had Chatsworth, Calabasas, Laguna, Hollywood Hills... what else, West Hills, Westlake... Then I'd be like, oh okay, stand back. But people who reside in BH generally don't have balls.

Last edited:
hey...if your a girl and ur semi attractive, keep your body lean and tight and ill hire you for my private pratice in like ten years.

and if your a guy...then the patients that you will have evitably killed from forgetting drug interactions thank you now.

I'm not looking down on anyone's accomplishments. I stated that pharmacy school is difficult to get into but not as much so as medical school simply because so many people are trying to get into med school. The applicant pool is larger so it makes it more competitive. It is true that GPA requirements are lower so it's possible that someone with stats that couldn't get into med school could still get into pharm school. I don't see anything wrong with saying that. I'm stating the facts that I know about both admission processes not putting anyone down.

Stating truths that are also controversial topics is the fastest way to get attacked on sdn. On the one hand, you have those that are defending something they have ties to or think highly of, and on the other hand you just have people who just say "But it's true!" And perhaps there's also a slight chance that this fact can be use deftly by trolls. Just a chance though ;)

Most ridiculous and entertaining thread I've seen in a while.:laugh:

I don't know if your interested in anesthesia, but honestly nurse anesthetists cover the vast majority of surgeries these days...while the anesthesiologist sits in the lounge reading the paper.

Really?

If you wanted to become a physician badly enough, you could do it. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to apply to DO schools with a 3.7+ and 30+ MCAT a few years from now. I only say DO schools because AACOMAS completely forgives classes that you retake. Once you get your head straightened out, you're only obstacle is your own willpower and fear of student loans.

Dude, not to burst anyones bubble, but if you are going into medicine because of the glamour, money, and the respect garnered upon you by the general public, I think you missed that gravy train by 20-30 years.

Peoples perception of healthcare and doctors in general is not what it used to be. I've talked to a lot of people in the field and honestly, sometimes its hell.

Find something else you'd like to do. If you are looking for honest advice, take some time and explore what you'd really want for a career. If you decide to go back after medicine, then you can do it later.

Oh, and lots of the time, PAs, nurses and techs are more respected than the docs. Keep that in mind.

sorry, for the rant...but I just need to get this out..
I hate that I'm so freaking stupid, that I'll probably never get into medicine. I've wanted this for a long time...yes alot of my reasons are shallow, but its so so hard to let go of this dream...I mean how can you let go of a dream you've held on to for sooo long? I feel like a different person now, now that I know I'll never make it.

and I'll never make it because my grades stink and I have more W's than the fingers on you and your moms. I hate this I hate my life, and I hate that my dream will never come true of being a doctor. maybe I should let go and find something I'm good at. I swear, if I was getting all A's then I wouldn't have had doubts of not getting into med school. I'm a big let down to myself , and especially my parents.

i would consider myself blessed. getting into medicine for the wrong reasons would end up making for a miserable life. there are a lot of perks to being a physician, but the sum of those perks don't outweigh how much BS, stress, etc. you have to deal with. so if you aren't in it for the right reasons, it's simply not worth it.

so be happy you're not going to find yourself hating medicine as a 3rd year medical student with 100K of debt hanging over your head and in too deep not to finish. now, you have the chance to find something that truly makes you happy.

theyre doing you a favor you are lucky bastard.. go do something useful with your life like start a business and make lots of money. Nobody respects a doctor. even doctors

I hate that I'm so freaking stupid, that I'll probably never get into medicine. I've wanted this for a long time...yes alot of my reasons are shallow, but its so so hard to let go of this dream...I mean how can you let go of a dream you've held on to for sooo long? I feel like a different person now, now that I know I'll never make it.

and I'll never make it because my grades stink and I have more W's than the fingers on you and your moms. I hate this I hate my life, and I hate that my dream will never come true of being a doctor. maybe I should let go and find something I'm good at. I swear, if I was getting all A's then I wouldn't have had doubts of not getting into med school. I'm a big let down to myself , and especially my parents.

sorry:oops: i did not mean to offend you. just wanted to suggest other options to the OP.
I didn't take any offense. :cool:

Hopefully, with time, the OP can figure it all out. Maybe the OP's life will straighten out sooner rather than later. We can only hope for the best. After a little soul searching, I think the OP should get a second chance to be whatever s/he wants to be.

The idea of DO sounds promising, especially if they do academic forgiveness.

vader-fail.jpg

No one is stupid. Don't ever scold yourself stupid! :)