This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smurf4halp

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
AMCAS 2014 instructions, page 36: "You must inform the Admissions Office of each medical school to which you apply if you are convicted of, or plead guilty or no contest to, a misdemeanor or felony crime after the date of your original application submission and prior to medical school matriculation. This communication must be in writing and must occur within ten (10) business days of the occurrence of the conviction."

Did you plead guilty? Your statement above "the guilty plea that led me to the deferred sentence will be withdrawn once my 12 months are up...." suggests that you have plead guilty. Therefore you are instructed by AMCAS to inform the admissions office to each school to which you have applied in writing. The sticky part is when the clock starts ticking given that the statement "of the conviction" in that last phrase. However, you will have a criminal background check done and this will come up and you could have your offer withdrawn because you failed to report rather than for the crime itself. (Whether the school would withdraw an offer due to the crime itself is a question I don't know the answer to; I wouldn't see a current student being expelled over something like this but how an admitted applicant would be treated is up in the air.)

My advice to you would be to contact every school you've applied to in writing TODAY.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think that this is something you can hide. Your biggest problem is that you're accpeted and then the school finds out, you WILL be dismised.

As it stands, I suspect you're going to need several years pass between now and applications. If you can prove to an AdCom that this was a one time, stupid mistake, there are people who believe in redemption. but right now shwos that youmake very poor choices, and aren't worth taking the chance on.

Hello SDN.

I have been searching this entire forum on something related to mine, and could not find one satisfactorily.
Last month, I have been charged with retail theft. The circumstances notwithstanding, it was one of the worst lapse of judgements I have ever had. What is worse is that I am currently applying to medical schools, I have said 'no' to all their 'have you been convicted' stuff (since the incident happened AFTER the primaries and secondaries), and have actually been accepted to a school, pending background check. I ended up getting a deferred sentence for 12 months and the charges will be dropped afterwards (so no conviction). However, in the meantime, I am sure that Certiphi will get this and many questions will arise.
I was considering updating the schools, as I remembered the 10 day clause on the AMCAS, but my lawyer told me that I have no need to do so, as I technically was not 'convicted', and the guilty plea that led me to the deferred sentence will be withdrawn once my 12 months are up, suggesting that the '10 days' are not in action yet. Whether or not this is technically and legally sound (I'm assuming it is, since I am no great shakes at law), I have recently began to feel ill at ease and have been contemplating just telling the schools, despite the fact that I am late and may just definitively screw my future over. However, the recency of my actions and severity of it makes me realize how hard it will be to sell to the people of the medical school that I will never do anything of the nature again, that the state recognizes this and will dismiss my charge after 12 months - I am frightened and angry that I have brought this upon myself.
Finally, please don't feel the need to lecture me. I have lost enough sleep as it is, as this uncharacteristic incident apparently has caused me to let my entire family and friends down and my future destroyed.

Yes, and this is something we take very seriously. There's tons of evidence that dishonest doctors start out as dishonest students. Therefore, things like this get on our radar immediately, and even if a single interviewer likes you, the committee as a whole would likely reject you, especially considering how recent this is.

If you were 30 and this happened 10 years ago, one could put it to youthful immaturity and stupidity. So, you do have a chance to eventually redeem yourself, by showing that this was a one time thing.

Is this thing regarding a 'several years pass' a serious recommendation? If so, everything might be ruined with this one mistake I made, and I don't see how I can proceed with my pursuit in medicine. It really is crushing to see all my efforts wasted on a moments mishap.