very confused, need some help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boone

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am so confused right now. i hear one good thing about smu, then i hear 2 bad things. i don't know what to do. i was thinking about applying to auc. does anyone know what they consider to be a competitive GPA and MCAT score? i really need your all of help. i just want to be a doctor, but a respected doctor. thanks guys i appreciate it!!

Members don't see this ad.

SMU is still relatively new, but I think they are improving. However, I'd still apply to SGU, AUC, and Ross if you are considering going the caribbean route. The amount you spend in applications is absolutely nothing compared to what you are going to invest in your education. Spend the money, it is worth it.

I graduated from SMU last year, so I can't really say much about the basic science years. The school did try very hard to get students what they needed, even if they didn't always come through. The school seems more stable now that they have moved to the Caymans. I really liked that St. Joe's was available as well. Now that you can do 2-3 semesters in Maine is a plus (Portland is really nice, as is the St. Joe's campus). I'm pretty certain the school will survive, and probably thrive.

However, the school does not yet have approval for California or New York. New Mexico depends on having California approval. Texas has been problematical for some students. Hopefully the school will have California soon, but it shouldn't be something you rely upon.

Also, the school doesn't really have their stuff organized to help students get into residencies yet. Most the students are spread all over creation, so providing support is difficult. Career counseling is non-existant. I wrote my own Dean's letter because the one the school wrote left much to be desired (the person who wrote it hadn't had much experience or guidance, and didn't know me at all). Ms. West and Ms. Kerr are very supportive and try to be helpful, but they don't always have the resources. I've not had trouble with time delays with the school since the start of my clinical years.

The administration has always been open to the students. The students had alot of input about the school while it was in Belize. When ever I have had a problem, the school had always been willing to work with me to solve it (for example- my "Dean's letter").

All in all, I think SMU is a good school. Once it has California approval, it will be a better school than AUC or Ross. But as an FMG, I'd recommend that you go to a US school if you can!