Very confusing thing my interviewer told me after the interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

5sosfan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a reapplicant, and after the interview, she said that my interview improved from last year. However, she said that the whole process is extremely competitive. She also I was competitive and hoped I applied to other schools since she knows I'll make a good doc..

Is there a point in trying to interpret what she meant by her statements?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't look too far into it. It seems like she was saying you did well in your interview, you're a good candidate, and you will make a good doctor. I'm sure it will turn out well.

Reactions: 1 user
You did well. You did better than last year but you aren't assured admission this year at that school... nonetheless you are a good candidate for medical school, the interviewer had a favorable impression of you and hopes that you'll get in somewhere else if you don't get in there.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You did well. You did better than last year but you aren't assured admission this year at that school... nonetheless you are a good candidate for medical school, the interviewer had a favorable impression of you and hopes that you'll get in somewhere else if you don't get in there.

Not to hijack OP's thread, but I had an interviewer who was soooo effusive with my application (my scores, grades, telling me that I would make a great doctor, etc) that after I thanked them profusely, I began to get sooo paranoid thinking that perhaps they were testing me on whether I could take a compliment.

Paranoia 101.

I'm a reapplicant, and after the interview, she said that my interview improved from last year. However, she said that the whole process is extremely competitive. She also I was competitive and hoped I applied to other schools since she knows I'll make a good doc..

Is there a point in trying to interpret what she meant by her statements?
She's being both polite and honest. We're trained not to build up false hopes.

Reactions: 2 users
Not to hijack OP's thread, but I had an interviewer who was soooo effusive with my application (my scores, grades, telling me that I would make a great doctor, etc) that after I thanked them profusely, I began to get sooo paranoid thinking that perhaps they were testing me on whether I could take a compliment.

Paranoia 101.
That one interview represents a fraction of the total application assessment. Never assume that an effusive reaction is the equivalent of, "You're a shoo-in!"

Reactions: 1 users
That one interview represents a fraction of the total application assessment. Never assume that an effusive reaction is the equivalent of, "You're a shoo-in!"

Oh not at all.

I am reminded of the late Benny Hill and his sketch about never ASSUME anything because if one does, one makes an ASS out U and ME!

Somewhat related: I had one of my interviewers outright, explicitly tell me I would be getting in. Is this something that happens from time to time?

Somewhat related: I had one of my interviewers outright, explicitly tell me I would be getting in. Is this something that happens from time to time?
It probably does, but it shouldn't.

SDNers are advised to count on NOTHING until you have the accept in hand.

Adcoms do overrule the interviewers.

Reactions: 2 users
It probably does, but it shouldn't.

SDNers are advised to count on NOTHING until you have the accept in hand.

Adcoms do overrule the interviewers.
I'm very cautiously optimistic about this, but yea. My gut feeling was the same.

@Goro what happens if the interviewer is on the adcom and spends 75% of the interview selling you on the school and the city?

She's being both polite and honest. We're trained not to build up false hopes.

The school I got accepted to played their cards so close to their chest I honestly thought it was a rejection! They need to play poker lol

Why do you even bother responding to lame kids who just want to get their egos stroked by an adcom?

kettle.jpg

Reactions: 3 users