Very depressed...feel like the possibility of me getting into Creighton is shot.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joleybear

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was already a long shot and it's really the only school I can go to... I live in Chicago with 3 kids, 2 have disabilities and I am trying to apply for 2019. Well, I need Organic Chemistry II and I also need to be done with in-person courses by the Fall. My elderly parents are my only help as far as a sitter and they can't do this forever. So my option is pretty much come up with close to $2000 to take my last math and Chemistry course at community college or transfer Schools for one semester and look flaky. VERY flaky considering I am taking a course this Summer in Community college so it would be 3 schools in one year... -_- Any idea what I should do? I'm not sure if I'd be able to take one class next spring (Organic Lab only) because I dont know if it would be while my kids are in school (wouldnt need a babysitter) or not.. Obviously the college has no idea what times the classes will be yet for Fall 2019 (times of day) so I am really in a tough spot.

EDIT: Just got the possibility of someone co-signing for a loan for me to take Organic Chemistry II at community college along with calculus.....bad idea? or do you think it is ok as long as I ace them?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just got the possibility of someone co-signing for a loan for me to take Organic Chemistry II at community college along with calculus.....bad idea? or do you think it is ok as long as I ace them?

Don't risk it...Not to be a downer but if you don't? Just go with the original plan of transfering to another school. If it looks flaky, it looks flaky. It's the circumstances you have and you just have to do what you need to do. You can explain your background in your personal statement or something so they have some idea why.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, I go to whatever school I can to get my prerequisites done. And I had an interview for the UMN, I think you will be okay. Just be prepared, I know the U has a partially closed file policy and I don't think they see your grades or where you attended. I would check the school's policy about how they conduct interviews. Don't stress about it, get them knocked out and do well. Like other posters mention, pharmacy school is hard. You will have to find a support system other than your classmates to get through.

I do know of someone personally who had a kid with developmental disabilities. before going to medical school and was a single father. He decided to see the kid on weekends and let him live with relatives. It was the best decision he made because he wanted to provide a stable home life. The workload in these programs are high and be prepared to be away from your kids. You will still have to have a great support system. It's sounds like your parents are aging and will not be able to help as much, what's your plan?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You are making this into a much bigger deal than it is. You can very easily take the courses at a community college without jeopardizing your admission chances.

Reactions: 1 users
I was already a long shot and it's really the only school I can go to... I live in Chicago with 3 kids, 2 have disabilities and I am trying to apply for 2019. Well, I need Organic Chemistry II and I also need to be done with in-person courses by the Fall. My elderly parents are my only help as far as a sitter and they can't do this forever. So my option is pretty much come up with close to $2000 to take my last math and Chemistry course at community college or transfer Schools for one semester and look flaky. VERY flaky considering I am taking a course this Summer in Community college so it would be 3 schools in one year... -_- Any idea what I should do? I'm not sure if I'd be able to take one class next spring (Organic Lab only) because I dont know if it would be while my kids are in school (wouldnt need a babysitter) or not.. Obviously the college has no idea what times the classes will be yet for Fall 2019 (times of day) so I am really in a tough spot.

EDIT: Just got the possibility of someone co-signing for a loan for me to take Organic Chemistry II at community college along with calculus.....bad idea? or do you think it is ok as long as I ace them?

you shouldn't be paying 2,000 USD for a class. I think i paid around 400 USD for organic chem at a community college. Also consider moving out of Chicago it's a dying city located in a nearly bankrupt state.

you shouldn't be paying 2,000 USD for a class. I think i paid around 400 USD for organic chem at a community college. Also consider moving out of Chicago it's a dying city located in a nearly bankrupt state.
I dislike Chicago but my fiance loves it and doesnt want to leave. Anyway its 2000 for the last 2 courses... so Im paying $2800 for my last 3 classes total. Expensive. I am still doing it though I guess.

I dislike Chicago but my fiance loves it and doesnt want to leave. Anyway its 2000 for the last 2 courses... so Im paying $2800 for my last 3 classes total. Expensive. I am still doing it though I guess.

You'd be so much better taking those courses as a community college, spend less money, and most of the community colleges will let you pay by a payment plan, which does not increase the amount you pay them, but sets up automatic payments to split it over the course of the semester. As long as you have it set up before the semester's official due date, they will not dis-enroll you.

That said, my pre-reqs have been taken at 3 different community colleges in our county's community college system. I chose classes based on professor, the times available that worked with my schedule, and convenience. If asked, I would simply say that you chose that location due to classes that worked for your schedule that maximized your time so you could put more time towards study (especially for O-Chem classes).

Also, changing schools for ONE semester - not flaky. Sometimes it's more about making the right decision for you and saying so.

PS - Calculus + Ochem, you are very brave.

Schools care far more about the grades you got in your pre-reqs, then they care about what school you took them at. Still, this can't be said enough, it will be extremely difficult to find a job in super-pharmacist-saturated Chicago. I strongly recommend that you don't pursue pharmacy, if you are unable to move at all. Some guy posted on the main pharmacy board that only 48% of his school's 2017 class got jobs working in pharmacy. Most likely because his school is in a super-saturated area (maybe even Chicago!) and the people who didn't get jobs, weren't willing to move. Also, I agree with the poster who urged you to find other child-care options. Pharmacy is a difficult course, and you will need to treat it like a full-time job (at the minimum, plan on having childcare for your children 40 hours a week, because you will need a minimum of 40 hours/week for classes, assignments, studying, and testing. )