SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

very difficult for asian males to get into med schools?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DrPsychiatry, May 10, 2007.

1. DrPsychiatry

DrPsychiatry Go Angels! 2+ Year Member

May 1, 2007
    An attending from UCsaid that asian males have it the toughest.
    One asian guy that volunteers with me has 31 and 3.7. The attending who also happens to be in adcom told him that his stat is pretty low for UC (esp since he is asian)
    But I've met a couple hispanic guys with the similar stats that got into UCSF and UCLA. It sucks because people want to always find ways to poke at asian males for being so bright. Share your opinions please. Also, i hope to know what other asian males feel about this

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Old ortho

Old ortho 2+ Year Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Asian males need a little better number than 3.7 / 31 to get into UCLA. Maybe GPA of 3.9 and MCAT 34 would help, with good EC's.

4. braluk

braluk SDN Surgerynator Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Apr 30, 2006
    The Big Easy
    Just a reminder, because these type of race threads generally degenerate into shouting matches about race and whatnot, to keep with the topic of the OPs original post and not let it turn into what often becomes a race comparison thread.

5. jeshani

jeshani 7+ Year Member

May 8, 2007
    They say Asians do really well in sciences(lol i have no idea why).. so maybe they expect alot from them.. and they dont want the "no-so-good" Asians in their school?

6. Doctor~Detroit

Doctor~Detroit this poll sux!!! 2+ Year Member

May 9, 2006
    i wouldn't doubt that asians have it tougher than other races/ethnicities. i don't think it has to do with sterotypes as much as the fact that they're over-represented in the applicant pool relative to the general population.

7. kdburton

kdburton Ulnar Deviant 5+ Year Member

Sep 3, 2005
    Asian males are over-represented in medicine, so schools that have some sort of race/ethnic quotas (even informally) will probably expect higher performance from asian males.

8. dragonark

dragonark 10+ Year Member

Oct 31, 2006
    I'm suprised they even let non URMs into medical schools anymore...

:beat:

9. Bengalswillwin

Bengalswillwin Banned Banned

May 6, 2007
    And yes, I am surprised they even get dates in this country anymore... :laugh:

jk

10. AnesthesiaMD

AnesthesiaMD 2+ Year Member

Jan 4, 2007
    I'm not asian, but I think this kinda BS ought to be illegal! I thought medical schools weren't supposed to discriminate based on creed, sex, color, national origin etc...

11. mikeinsd

mikeinsd predictably unpredictable 2+ Year Member

Nov 4, 2006
    best.comeback.ever.period.

wait - i dont get it :confused:

anyhow, I believe I have heard many times that the group of people with the hardest time are east asian males, as they have a largest ratio of (med school applicants) / (general population)...

have no idea on validity, ive just heard that thrown around a few times, and as long as we beating dead horses....

12. soeagerun2or

soeagerun2or Banned Banned 2+ Year Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Is his TOEFL > 213 (computer) or 550 (paper)?

13. geogil

geogil Still training. 7+ Year Member

May 1, 2006
    I think the folks who have the hardest time getting in are those who think their race/gender/sexual orientation is the deciding factor rather than their grades/scores/interview skills. If these guys would give half the energy they devote to trumpeting alleged discrimmination into studying for the MCAT, they might just be in the accepted-to-medschool club.

14. riceman04

riceman04 10+ Year Member

Mar 21, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Here we gooooooo!!!!! (in Princess Peach's voice)

15. stereochemistry

stereochemistry Walking Carpet 5+ Year Member

Jun 20, 2006
  16. crimsonkid85

crimsonkid85 7+ Year Member

Jul 3, 2006
    so it's harder getting into med school as an asian guy. it sucks, but whining or feeling sorry about yourself isn't going to do anything. discrimination is still an issue in this country, but it's a lot better here than elsewhere! good luck.

17. Tiagao

Tiagao Member 7+ Year Member

Sep 9, 2004
    "Dr. Psychiatry"????......hmmmm............interesting

The whole scam makes you wonder what those people are thinking, doesn't it.

18. Critical Mass

Critical Mass Guest

Feb 23, 2007
    Cali is a different world than the rest of the US. Biggest barrier is being a Californian.

I can't feel bad for Asian dudes because they deprive me of dating the segment of Asian ladies who will only enter committed relationships with them. A few of us European descendents have something to offer too, ya know?

19. DrPsychiatry

DrPsychiatry Go Angels! 2+ Year Member

May 1, 2007
    I am not trying to claim tat Im a MD. I am worried since I have a little lower stats than the volunteering fellow. Im an aspiring psychiatrist though

20. crimsonkid85

crimsonkid85 7+ Year Member

Jul 3, 2006
    if your mcat is lower, retake the mcat. if your GPA is lower...well. i dunno.

21. spicedmanna

spicedmanna Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Then the answer is simple: raise your stats. There's no reason to pull the race card. If you have the stats they are looking for, my guess is that you'll get a chance.

22. Funky

Funky This space is for sale 10+ Year Member

Feb 15, 2006
    NY
    I think the problem here is that he's a californian, not so much that he's an asian male.

23. Long Dong

Long Dong My middle name is Duc. 10+ Year Member

Aug 8, 2004
    The Best Coast
    I think it's both being Califronian and asian.

As for the women, why would you even want to get with those types of girls anyways. They are usually the FOBs, who don't date outside their nationality let alone their race. The hotter ones are usually more open minded. I personally prefer the white women.:D

To the OP don't dwell on this to much, just bust your but and improve your app anyway you can. If you are good the cream will always rise to the top.

24. Green Pirate

Green Pirate Neurotic Neuro Enthusiast 5+ Year Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Critical Mass doesn't discriminate based on insignficant things like personality and language barriers. :laugh:

25. eternalrage

eternalrage Even Kal has bad days... 10+ Year Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Yeah I have to agree usually the uber hot asians are the whitewashed ones.

Of course they have their fair share of uglies too (Sandra Oh)

26. Long Dong

Aug 8, 2004
    The Best Coast
    CM doesn't seem to discriminate based on large adams apples ether.:lol:

27. gsmithers68

gsmithers68 2+ Year Member

Nov 29, 2006
    +pity+ +pity+ +pity+ +pity+ +pity+

28. spicedmanna

spicedmanna Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

:beat: +pity+ :beat: +pity+ :beat: +pity+ . . .

29. Critical Mass

Critical Mass Guest

Feb 23, 2007
    I'll swap leftovers with you then. :thumbup:

30. interstellar

interstellar intergalactic planetary!! 5+ Year Member

Feb 15, 2006
    lulz.. best game ever.

31. Long Dong

Aug 8, 2004
    The Best Coast
    Your on. Hook me up, just as long as they don't have tighter abs then me or more veins on there abs like the girl in yellow in your avatar, and I'll hook you up wit all the no english speaking FOBs I know. Holla at ya boy when ya out in So Cal.

32. inside_edition

inside_edition Waitlisted Member 2+ Year Member

Jul 6, 2006
    the fact that they don't speak english can make it kinkier. think about it. while you're hooking up, you have absolutely no idea what she's going to do next or the fact that she may even bring a culturally specific sex position that'll...well you can figure it out.