very difficult personal situation and admission to Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

felitix

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My situation looks terrible, but I can't stop dreaming about Med School.
- I'm 38 years old woman, soon divorced with 2 children age 4 and 1
- the reason for divorce is - home violence, my husband has a pending case for hitting me
- we will be separated by May 1st, my MCAT is scheduled for June 18th and I have no idea how could I study under current circumstances
- I will stay with my children and will not have enaugh money to cover our monthly cost of living
- I'm a foreigner, English is my second language, I have no other family then my children
If I score low on MCAT do you believe admission commitee will see my situation as a reason for that?

I don't have any degree, I was only doing prereqs, majority of them in community college, but my GPA is about 3.7 - 3.8. Totally I have 118 credit hours, some transferred from abroad.
I have a lot of international work experience, I'm fluent in 3 languages, I have always dreamed about medicine and never got a chance to study, I worked in the hospital as a technician when I was 20 and 21. Right now I'm voluunteer tutor in the college science learning center.

Is there any chance for me to become a med student? Should I talk to someone like academic adviser in med school and present my situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

- the reason for divorce is - home violence, my husband has a pending case for hitting me
- we will be separated by May 1st, my MCAT is scheduled for June 18th and I have no idea how could I study under current circumstances
- I will stay with my children and will not have enaugh money to cover our monthly cost of living
- I'm a foreigner, English is my second language, I have no other family then my children
If I score low on MCAT do you believe admission commitee will see my situation as a reason for that?

I don't have any degree, I was only doing prereqs, majority of them in community college, but my GPA is about 3.7 - 3.8. Totally I have 118 credit hours, some transferred from abroad.
I have a lot of international work experience, I'm fluent in 3 languages, I have always dreamed about medicine and never got a chance to study, I worked in the hospital as a technician when I was 20 and 21. Right now I'm voluunteer tutor in the college science learning center.

Is there any chance for me to become a med student? Should I talk to someone like academic adviser in med school and present my situation?

I feel so very sorry that you have to go through that; it is unfair and completely sucks that this man is such a douche. It might be better to take a year off to get everything in order.

Please take care

I think this would be your best course of action; your situation is definitely unique, and anything any of us here could say would really just be speculation. You also might get some help speaking to people in the Non-trad forum.

I sincerely hope everything turns out well for you :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

You need to apply as "disadvantaged", because you have no family, financial problems and you have dependents (your children). I think you should find a job, take care of your kids, transfer to a university, and apply a year later. You need to prove to the adcoms you can handle university level course work.

You are very unique and I'm sure that will appeal to the adcoms.

if your mcat's too low study and retake it.

I'm sorry to hear of the stresses in your life. Adcomms will still expect you to have a competitive MCAT score, so don't take it until you are ready and consistently scoring in your target range. Right now, your children come first. Be sure they are safe and secure before you worry about your educational future. Are there any women's shelters in your area? Your school probably has a counselor who can help you with resources in your area.

Delay the MCAT. It doesn't sound like you are ready for it academically or emotionally.

You need to investigate the reqs for med school admissions for foreign students with credits from abroad, along with an understanding of how much more you have to go to earn a degree in the US. My guess is you are perhaps 1 to 2 years away from a degree, with the point being that you do not need to take the MCAT yet.

Have you done a prep course? Well worth the money...