Very early chances for Matching in Psych (MS3 who just got Step score)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sunde

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a DO student looking for for any early feedback regarding matching into psych. I just received my Step 1 score and got a 221. Get my COMLEX score in September and will hopefully get a score 500+. 3rd quartile in terms of class rank, if that matters.

Other than that, rotations have gone well so far, and I'm confident I'll be able to get some good LoR's.

I also have one low-impact, peer reviewed published paper written on Alzheimer's Disease, but no real research. Hopefully I'll be able to write up a case report or present a poster by the time applications are in.

Candidly, I came to medical school to become a psychiatrist. I worked as an addictions counselor at a major academic psychiatric hospital for many years before starting medical school. Hopefully this experience will be recognized in some way by PD's when it comes to commitment to the specialty.

I plan to apply to about 100 programs when the time comes. So, if anyone has a second to provide some premature feedback/guidance/chances (assuming Step 2 goes well), it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I also have one low-impact, peer reviewed published paper written on Alzheimer's Disease, but no real research. Hopefully I'll be able to write up a case report or present a poster by the time applications are in.

How is that not real research?

Members don't see this ad :)
Candidly, I came to medical school to become a psychiatrist. I worked as an addictions counselor at a major academic psychiatric hospital for many years before starting medical school. Hopefully this experience will be recognized in some way by PD's when it comes to commitment to the specialty.

This seems like should be the selling point of your app. May be worth calling someone you previously worked for/with for an LOR if they knew you well enough.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

I am a DO student looking for for any early feedback regarding matching into psych. I just received my Step 1 score and got a 221. Get my COMLEX score in September and will hopefully get a score 500+. 3rd quartile in terms of class rank, if that matters.

Other than that, rotations have gone well so far, and I'm confident I'll be able to get some good LoR's.

I plan to apply to about 100 programs when the time comes. So, if anyone has a second to provide some premature feedback/guidance/chances (assuming Step 2 goes well), it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Pretty sure you'll be fine as long as you have a good personality.

Reactions: 1 user
This seems like should be the selling point of your app. May be worth calling someone you previously worked for/with for an LOR if they knew you well enough.
Thanks for the advice. Was thinking about attempting to do a rotation at the old hospital/get a LOR, but not sure if that'll be possible with COVID.