Very frustrated & Depressed, Any Advice Please!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ankit1ag

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am fine now.

Ankit

Members don't see this ad.

honey relax,
If you thought you had it bad, then heres what you should know

my first attempt 13- ( 6P, 4V, 3B)
second (Jan) - 17- ( 6P, 3V, 8B)

I myself have been very depressed and I am going to give my last shot in may. I already frantically registered, thinking that the seats my get filled, but if my practice tests do not reflect the scores I want, then I will probably not take it

Have you tried doing the 1001 EK books. I am going to try doing those, since they hammer down all the concepts. I would give anything for an 8 in Verbal.
PM me if you want to talk. I am south asian too, and i can definitely relate to the suicidal tendencies, since the family starts thinking that you are a wrothless piece of **** and that you should die because seemingly some of their friends kids did way better than us.

Dont be depressed, cheer up. Give it one last shot, do it with your heart into it and see where you were cheating yourself. I knoow where i was cheating myself, and wasting time. But then I said to myself that If I dont create change then the change will create me. hang in there and lets pray that may will work out a lot better for both of us

Good Luck! :luck:

ok first of all...hand over the rope...yes, that bottle of pills too, behind your back j/k. Suicide is never the answer (not j/k). Especially when you are this close to success. do u have some sort of text anxiety? if you were scoring in the 30's and high 20's, in practice tests, maybe u should focus on calming down and relaxing a bit while taking the test...? Instead, if u keep thinking oh my god oh my god oh my god, i'm taking the real mcat, oh my god, i have to get a 27, (while instead, u should be paying attention to the passage at hand) then it won't turn out well. If you don't have test anxiety, then i would say spend more time reviewing ur practice tests and seeing EACH and EVERY question..why u got it right or wrong. Make notes on the patterns you see about what questions u tend to miss. Learn how to recognize these types of problems for the future. Taking practice tests is key ONLY if you review them properly. Otherwise, nothing is learned or gained except maybe a little physical/mental endurance. Also just "memorizing" equations will not be enough. This time around when you study, try and take a few different examples and apply them. See how they work...and why they are a law or rule. Secondly, try and integrate subjects, like physics and chemistry or biology and chemistry. By integrate, I mean, learn the certain *favorite* mcat topics where the sciences meet. Like for example, Bernoulli's equation of fluid of flow and blood pressure. Things like that where the sciences meet are good topics to understand and apply. You are only 2 points away from your guaranteed spot in a medical school...don't give up the marathon at the last 100 yard dash. GOOD LUCK

Please don't do anything so drastic as killing yourself. Seriously, you can still make a wonderful contribution to the world in the field of healthcare, even if you don't qualify for this particular program. So, you graduated in three years and you've been working and studying since. Good for you. Also, at least your scores went up. So, apply to some other schools (MD and DO) and you'll probably be accepted somewhere. Also, if medical school doesn't work out for you, think about other areas of healthcare that might interest you. I know you had one idea in mind, but sometimes life throws some obstacles in the way. Imagine if you were a star athlete and that's all you knew how to do (no education) and you suffered an injury that rendered you unable to play that sport anymore. That would be tragic, but in this case at least you have already earned your undergraduate degree and there are many opportunities for you out there and even if your family puts a lot of pressure on you, remember that you need to live for yourself and not for them (as hard as that is to do).

So, stop thinking such depressing and fatalistic thoughts. Try your hardest on the next MCAT and if it doesn't qualify you for this program, look into other options. Medical school is still within your reach. Don't give up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Were you taking practice tests before the real thing? Was your score on the practice tests consistent with your score on the real thing? That might help you to know if anxiety got to you on the test or if it is something else.

I don't have much advice for you on how to improve - that depends so much on how you learn and what the problem is with your score. If you are in a combined BA/MD program you are obviously very bright because those are pretty competitive.

I do hope you will seek help - not for the MCAT but because of how upset you are over it. No amount of longing to have a certain career is worth talking about ending your life. PLEASE TALK TO SOMEONE!

Cant you just get your BA or BS degree and apply elsewhere? If so, your 25 could get you into some D.O. programs if you have a good GPA. If your set on an MD, polish up your app elsewhere and you got a shot.

I agree with a previous poster who said that you need to carefully review your previous exams. When I was studying for my Jan MCAT, I used one day to take my exam and the next day to carefully review it. I checked why I got the wrong answers and why I got my right answers. By the time Kaplan 5/6 rolled around, I peaked at 35 by simply reviewing the previous 4 exams carefully. I didn't score as high as my peak on the real MCAT but it still got me a score in line with my overall Kaplan average.

Also, did you find yourself short on time during the real MCAT? Perhaps you were spending too much time finding the perfect answer instead of narrowing down possibilities and moving on.

Try to rely on your testing strategies when taking your exams and go back to basics, too! The AAMC likes basic science questions that you can easily skip over while studying. Things like basic conversions between the different units of pressure or the core temperature of a human being. That being said, a lot of the MCAT doesn't test recall but it tests how well you can eliminate possibilities with your testing strategies. Develop your own when reviewing old exams too! Kaplan's don't work for everyone.

The AAMC got rid of the 3 MCAT limit with the new year so take advantage! Try again! One or two days of doubt is fine, but stay proud of yourself. You got into a program that few others can get into and you kept your GPA higher than others at a competitive school. You know your stuff. You'll do fine.

Best of luck! And keep us updated!

The AAMC got rid of the 3 MCAT limit with the new year so take advantage!

You know what this means?

BIG BUCKS$$$

Hello,

I am just very sorry for myself and am so depressed right now that I don't even want to continue living my life since I can't even take advantage of the great opportunities that have come my way. Let me explain:

I am in an 8 year combined medical program which requires at least a "9" on each section or a total score of a "30" with no section less than a 7. In order to get promoted to med school from undergrad you have to fulfill these mcat requrirements as well as GPA stuff.

I have been trying so many times that now I am just frustrated with life.

Aug 05: PS-6, VR-7, BS-7 Total: 20O
Aug 06: PS-8, VR-8, BS-8 Total: 24M
Jan 07: PS-7, VR-8, BS-10 Total: 25Q

I have tried everything. I took the Kaplan course twice. In 05 I took the classroom course and scored lower than my Kap Diagnostic and got a full refund. Then in 06 I took the Kaplan Private tutoring and still couldn't get what I needed. Now for Jan 07, I re-read all the Kaplan Books and did all their tests, read all the science Princeton Review mcat course Books, read all the examkrackers 6th edition books and listend to ek AO in the car on my drive to work, and did all the AAMC prax tests and scored in the low 30's and high 20's. I also did the whole EK 101 passages verbal book.

And you know what the best part about 07 is, I didn't have to go to school since I graduated in three years. All I had to do was study for MCAt and work part-time. There are so many people out there that are saying that it was so easy to complete the 27 score requirement.

I am such a sorry, sad, idiot who can't even get a 27 which is at the 50% percentile even after all the money I've spent on this stupid MCAT exam. I've paid $630 just in testing fees, $2000 in the private tutoring, $500 in all the EK stuff.

All I had to do was get a 9 in each section and I would be in. I am such a ******* who should just jump off a bridge.

The reason I am writing this is because I might be able to take the test for one last time in April/May and would like any advice all you bright sdn'ers can give me. I am so confused and frustrated after opening my Jan scores last night, I really wanted to kill myself.

Please help...Thanks for reading this...I just had to vent out my feelings somewhere,

Ankit

Please please please see a counselor if you are serious about suicide. That is not something to consider even jokingly. It isn't the end of the world. There are always options if you want medicine bad enough: 1. Retake it even though it is past 3 times. 2. consider going to the carribean or a DO school. 3. consider applying to a smp program. 4. applying broadly if the rest of your app is good and hoping you can still get in somewhere.

Please understand that you are not alone. I, too have had a hard time. In three years, I have brought my score from a 23 to a 26 and have also done kaplan twice, etc. -- so I understand the frustration.

But I promise you it is not worth the pressure you are putting on yourself. You have to find a way to step back and see the larger picture. It is too easy to become immersed in this whole process and lose sight of what is really important in life. It has taken me 3 years and endless introspection to realize the MCAT is not that important in the grand scheme of life - it is an important exam, but not worth affecting yourself mentally this way it has.

You are trying to get into medical school, and you will. Even if it means going to a different school, etc., you will find a way. And once you are in, the MCAT score becomes completely meaningless.

Please take a break from the whole process. Step back for at least a few weeks and focus on other things in your life -- family, travel, hobbies, etc. You will come back to the process with a renewed perspective and fresh ideas.

And it definately doesn't hurt to sit down and talk with a counselor to clear your head, like another poster mentioned.

I hope you take my advice, and please keep us posted how you are feeling.

Adam

First of all, this is just a test to get you into med. school. With a little work and RELAXING, you will boost that score by a few points or more.
I used to have terrible test anxiety (MCAT) and with repeated practice, I finally got over it and got a healthy score. I think that the key thing here is to de-stress and de-emphasize the importance of this exam--at least psychologically. You will do just fine, and you are almost there!!!! Stay strong. I agree with the above post---don't think about the score while taking the exam; knock each block down and refresh at each break. No going back, dwelling on questions or anything like that. much :luck: :luck: :luck:

You Can Do It!!!:)

You've improved every time you took the MCAT. Just remember to relax, and BE CONFIDENT. Fourth time's the charm.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, OP, I third the advice to seek some counseling. There sounds like a much bigger problem at hand than your MCAT, a problem which may, in fact, be hurting your MCAT performance. Take a hint from Einstein, "the significant problems we face can not be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." If after all your work, your attempts have not generated the results you are looking for, you may wish to radically shift yourself and what you are doing. After all, no matter how hard you study, or how much money you throw at it, if you are not addressing the right thing, it won't necessarily work. It looks like to me that you are indulging in a lot of self-blame and focusing a lot of anger and negativity inward. This is counterproductive. Indeed, your current attitude have have something to do with your performance. Please talk to someone who can give you the guidance you want and need.

Good luck. :luck:

After relaxing today and just reassuring myself that I have a lot of potential and good credentials, I don't feel that I need to mentally or physically hurt myself. All I want to do, is get a decent score on this exam because I will never be happy if I know that I couldn't do it.

I am going to start studying again while being very calm. I need to stop being so serious and have fun in life. There are a many people in this world that have much bigger problems than me. I know I will be a good doctor, but I just want to prove to myself that this test is not a obstacle in my life!

So if you have any suggestions on how to tackle this test, please let me know.

Thanks,

Ankit

After relaxing today and just reassuring myself that I have a lot of potential and good credentials, I don't feel that I need to mentally or physically hurt myself. All I want to do, is get a decent score on this exam because I will never be happy if I know that I couldn't do it.

I am going to start studying again while being very calm. I need to stop being so serious and have fun in life. There are a many people in this world that have much bigger problems than me. I know I will be a good doctor, but I just want to prove to myself that this test is not a obstacle in my life!

Thanks,

Ankit
Check out the 30+ MCAT study habits thread; tons of good advice there from high scorers over the past several years. And I agree with the other posters; no test score is worth harming yourself. If you start feeling like this again and you can't or won't see a counselor, then call a crisis hotline. There are people who can help you. Best of luck to you. :)

Please Please Please don't take it as it is the end of the world. Everyone here has posted good advice thus far. I am also a multi MCAT taker/reapplicant so I know what it's like to fail and then pick yourself up and keep at it. I can vouch for many of the people on this forum who can give you solid advice that will help you toward your goal. Good luck with everything :luck:

If you've read the Kaplan, TPR, and EK stuff twice, knowledge is NOT your problem. It has to be relaxation. I would SERIOUSLY look into some Yoga, Zen Buddhism, or some other relaxation technique before I took the test, I've heard that hypnotism has helped some people as well. I am 100% serious in saying this, picking up another prep company book probably won't help you at all. Take a few practice tests that you haven't taken yet before the exam, get some professional relaxation help, and BELIEVE IN YOURSELF.

Ankit,
You are obviously an intelligent person and a good test taker to get admitted to the guaranteed program, which I believe is highly competitive. You just have to realize what it is about the mcat that you are finding it so difficult to overcome? your scores are fairly even across the board so you can't just focus on one section, but it sounds like PS is what you are having most difficulty. Definitely don't give up just yet. You are luckier than most in that all you have to do is get the minimum req. score and you will be set without going through the whole crapshoot of admissions. Take the time to realize exactly what aspects of PS are giving you most trouble, is it the physics or chem? Are you missing any particular kinds of questions consistently? mechanics, EM, titrations? you can always go back to a basic phys or chem book and re-learn your weak topics. Improving on mcat is difficult but certainly doable, and just signing up for random test prep programs is not going to do it. You have to realize your own weaknessess and then seek help accordingly. My situation was a bit different it that I was having serious trouble with verbal and I consistently scored 6 in practice tests and eventually on real thing but did well on sciences. I was really frustrated and kept beating myself over it as to why I couldn't do it? I decided not to use my ESL status as an excuse and worked very hard for it. A year later I retook it and scored a surprising 10 and I was set. It was all my own hard work after realizing my weaknessess and using the right resources to study. So narrow down the things you really need to focus on but keep reviewing others and don't take it until you are fully ready for it. Try not to use your resources prematurely until you feel comfortable with the subject matter. If you need specifics on how I improved on verbal I can tell you a lot of things but it sounds like if you can rock your PS and BS which in my opinion are much easier to improve upon than you can get your 30 and not have to worry about verbal. Besides what you have already used as resources I am not sure there's much more outthere; I thought EK was by far the best materials which you've already used. But as I said doing random prep questions w/o feeling comfortable with the material isn't going to help. you really have to do some digging to find out what it is about the mcat that troubles you. Also, more people will be able to give you appropriate advice if you pinpoint your problems rather than just asking how to improve on mcat.

Thanks,

Ankit

I just wanted to let you know not to feel bad because I know several several people who couldn't even break 20 and even after multiple tries in some cases didn't get close to 24 or 25 so don't feel dumb. you just need to assess what is causing you to not perform to your full potential and work on that.

I agree with oxeye. First your health and safety. Next, how were you doing on practice tests...

Glad to see that you're fine now. I haven't taken it myself yet, but this is just something I always do and it always works ( many a time, I have had a >30% jump on tests using this never-failing strategy :D)

do a post-mortem. one day, just sit and think about what went wrong and what you're going to do about it.
you're way better off than most people if you're already in a program.
doing this PM always helps, because in a way it also helps you get over that shock.. that weird thud you experience when you can't answer a question and that basically messes up all the subsequent ones..
good luck studying!

Here's my story! I took the August '06 exam and received a 17M (7P,3V,7B). I used Exam Krackers for the January exam and raised my score to a 26M (9P,9V,8B). We won't discuss the writing score :p I found the EK method very helpful so I would definitely give it a try. So don't give up! It does take a lot of practice so be prepared for that. Good luck!! :luck: :luck: :luck: