VERY GOOD application... but what happen with your MCAT???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctorsoon2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been studying for the MCAT for a little over 5 months now. I have used EC... gone through the books 10+ times ect ect. I started out making 18 on the exam and now I am around a 25. I am obviously not very good at these timed tests. I have the material done well, its the time and tricks that seem to always get me. My test day is only 40 days away and I have begun to wonder if I should take it? If I did take it this would put me at a 24-27 MCAT.

BUT, will the low MCAT prevent my acceptance? I think that is the question I should be asking and the reason I am writing this now. I believe I have an above average application (besides the MCAT). In fact, I believe I have a very good application... let me explain.

Major: Physics

GPA: 3.9, I have made A's in every science class (Math and advanced physics classes included) except Biochem (B) and an A+ in Ochem II.

Extracurricular Activities: Research - I have done 3+ years of research, presented posters at 3-4 national conferences in different states. I have become a research assistant and a research ambassador. All this research is due to me being accepted into three different research programs (first at my university do to so).
Medical Exposure- I started out thinking about pharmacy and so I am a licensed tech, I have gone through an EMT program (40+ hours in hospital). This was really good exposure because it was hand-on (i.e. I did the CPR not just watched). I have also shadowed and volunteered...all the regular. I plan to complete a competitive class (been accepted into already) that is taught by the president of a medical school. I will sit in class with current medical students and follow doctors around ect.
Study Abroad- Through the Honors college I took a class on India Architecture (completely out of my major or interest) at the end of the course we took a two week trip to India and looked at all these structure in detail (i.e the Taj mahal), I have also been accepted to study at Oxford England (so excited!!) in January, where I will be taking more physics classes.
Internship- I completed an engineering internship at NASA (strongly subject you do things other than medical to stand out... become interesting).
Others- I have done many other typical things such as tutor, teach and help smaller kids, volunteer, become the president of toastmasters (public speaking organization)

Interview - This has always been my all time strength (people skills)

Awards - I have received an award for best student at Organic Chemistry and one for best student at Physics

O and Im a Minority (Hispanic)

My Point and Question: If I take the MCAT now it will be low but I think I have a good chance anyway. Do you think my "other factors" are good enough for me to take it now (low MCAT score) and give the application a try?

Members don't see this ad.

URM with a 3.9, and 27MCAT?

I'd say you're made for some school out there.
However, I think you should try to get your practice tests to a 30 before writing.

Members don't see this ad :)
URM with a 3.9, and 27MCAT?

I'd say you're made for some school out there.
However, I think you should try to get your practice tests to a 30 before writing.

Depends on what type of Hispanic; most are not considered URM. If you're from anywhere in South America, Central America (outside Mexico), Cuba, then your not considered URM and will need a MUCH higher MCAT than your practice scores for an US MD school (A 27 in this case is not a Great Chance of getting in). I agree he should try to score at least a 30 before writing.

I am half Mexican (family came from mexico city). Fathers side, so I'm legally so. My mom is white and I look completely white (benefits of a minority without the discrimination of skin color :))

40 days is plenty of time to bring your score up. If I were you I'd be studying for that thing full time until test day, however. Take a leave from your job, EC's etc. until the test is over ... the MCAT is important and you do not want to go through all this studying for it again.

I am half Mexican (family came from mexico city). Fathers side, so I'm legally so. My mom is white and I look completely white (benefits of a minority without the discrimination of skin color :))

LOL, props for calling out your situation honestly.

I have been studying for the MCAT for a little over 5 months now. I have used EC... gone through the books 10+ times ect ect. I started out making 18 on the exam and now I am around a 25. I am obviously not very good at these timed tests. I have the material done well, its the time and tricks that seem to always get me. My test day is only 40 days away and I have begun to wonder if I should take it? If I did take it this would put me at a 24-27 MCAT.

BUT, will the low MCAT prevent my acceptance? I think that is the question I should be asking and the reason I am writing this now. I believe I have an above average application (besides the MCAT). In fact, I believe I have a very good application... let me explain.

Major: Physics

GPA: 3.9, I have made A's in every science class (Math and advanced physics classes included) except Biochem (B) and an A+ in Ochem II.

Extracurricular Activities: Research - I have done 3+ years of research, presented posters at 3-4 national conferences in different states. I have become a research assistant and a research ambassador. All this research is due to me being accepted into three different research programs (first at my university do to so).
Medical Exposure- I started out thinking about pharmacy and so I am a licensed tech, I have gone through an EMT program (40+ hours in hospital). This was really good exposure because it was hand-on (i.e. I did the CPR not just watched). I have also shadowed and volunteered...all the regular. I plan to complete a competitive class (been accepted into already) that is taught by the president of a medical school. I will sit in class with current medical students and follow doctors around ect.
Study Abroad- Through the Honors college I took a class on India Architecture (completely out of my major or interest) at the end of the course we took a two week trip to India and looked at all these structure in detail (i.e the Taj mahal), I have also been accepted to study at Oxford England (so excited!!) in January, where I will be taking more physics classes.
Internship- I completed an engineering internship at NASA (strongly subject you do things other than medical to stand out... become interesting).
Others- I have done many other typical things such as tutor, teach and help smaller kids, volunteer, become the president of toastmasters (public speaking organization)

Interview - This has always been my all time strength (people skills)

Awards - I have received an award for best student at Organic Chemistry and one for best student at Physics

O and Im a Minority (Hispanic)

My Point and Question: If I take the MCAT now it will be low but I think I have a good chance anyway. Do you think my "other factors" are good enough for me to take it now (low MCAT score) and give the application a try?

A 3.9 sGPA means you are more than capable of acing the MCAT. I suspect this is more of a self-confidence issue - anxiety/panicking/not thinking clearly when under stress.

Maybe take a week off, go on vacation, on a long hike, and come back to it. It helps.

A 3.9 sGPA means you are more than capable of acing the MCAT. I suspect this is more of a self-confidence issue - anxiety/panicking/not thinking clearly when under stress.

Maybe take a week off, go on vacation, on a long hike, and come back to it. It helps.

Great advise, but I have done a bit of a break... did not help. I am a precise but slow thinker and these timed tests kill me. When I review my exams I am constantly saying, "I knew that, if I just had more time to think about it". Nonetheless, I will keep pushing!

Last edited:
Just to update this old thread in case others ever find it in a search. I applied this cycle and was accepted. I got three interviews, one prematch offer. I applied very early, the second day the app was open...

Reactions: 2 users
Just to update this old thread in case others ever find it in a search. I applied this cycle and was accepted. I got three interviews, one prematch offer. I applied very early, the second day the app was open...
Congratulations! Just curious, how did your MCAT situation play out?

Congratulations! Just curious, how did your MCAT situation play out?

I ended up with a 25 MCAT score. I was accepted prematch on the first day to my top choice with a nice scholarship. I am an MS3 now and score right at average on STEP 1 (230) and have had no issues passing exams. Looking back, its that I knew the material but not the questions for the MCAT. If I would have done 1000+ questions instead of reviewing material I have no doubt 30+ would of happened. Of course the scores are all different now.

Congratulations on your acceptance and success in medical school. However, i sincerely hope that your perspective on discrimination has advanced since then and that you recognize how deeply problematic this comment is.

Congratulations on your acceptance and success in medical school. However, i sincerely hope that your perspective on discrimination has advanced since then and that you recognize how deeply problematic this comment is.

Is that not the truth, it really comes down to what you identify most with. I can think of 10 ways being Hispanic has made things more difficult. Then, I think of 10 things that have helped. In the end, Its how much effort you put in and your character that really matters.