Very high MCAT, somewhat low science GPA, am I safe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gearsofwar3

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated with a 3.6 overall and 3.4 science. My MCAT is a 41. I wonder if my combo of stats will make me competitive at mid to upper mid schools? Also, will my MCAT score screen me out of "lower ranked" schools? I've heard of super applicants getting auto rejected from schools with lower averages, but I feel that my lowish GPA will safe me from being considered "over qualified" at these schools. My goal is to get in somewhere MD, that's all.

From the chart published my AAMC, I see that applicants with my stats (3.6-3.8 overall and 39+ MCAT) have close to 90 percent chance of getting in somewhere - a very promising sign.

Lastly, my ECs are above average, I am a music major, and I am from California. the first two should work in my favor, the last, I dont think so.

Do you guys think that my 3.4 science will raise a red flag given my MCAT and overall GPA, which seems to be more important than the science GPA given that AAMC uses overall in their chart. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Being overqualified is a myth concocted by people that couldn't mask their arrogance enough to make the school believe it was actually worthy of their oh-so-holy presence. That's not something you need to worry about as long as you can clearly express that you have an interest in attending those schools. If you can't do that, then don't expect much.

Do you go to a school known for grade deflation? If so, I wouldn't expect your lower GPA to hurt you. The killer MCAT will certainly help you and demonstrate to those reviewing your application that you're intelligent and capable.

Since you say that your goal is just to get in ANYWHERE, my guess is that you'll be fine. You may not get into the top schools, but based on what you've provided I don't see why you would run into any issues apart from bombing the interview.

I just graduated with a 3.6 overall and 3.4 science. My MCAT is a 41. I wonder if my combo of stats will make me competitive at mid to upper mid schools? Also, will my MCAT score screen me out of "lower ranked" schools? I've heard of super applicants getting auto rejected from schools with lower averages, but I feel that my lowish GPA will safe me from being considered "over qualified" at these schools. My goal is to get in somewhere MD, that's all.

From the chart published my AAMC, I see that applicants with my stats (3.6-3.8 overall and 39+ MCAT) have close to 90 percent chance of getting in somewhere - a very promising sign.

Lastly, my ECs are above average, I am a music major, and I am from California. the first two should work in my favor, the last, I dont think so.

Do you guys think that my 3.4 science will raise a red flag given my MCAT and overall GPA, which seems to be more important than the science GPA given that AAMC uses overall in their chart. Thanks

You'll get in somewhere. Apply to US MD/DO. Apply to as many places as possible. Take out a loan if needed. I would say 99/100 times you'll get a US MD slot. New York Med and Chicago Medical school would be places I would say you would get in. I think the high MCAT helps because you can help the school boost their scores. Unless you have some felony conviction, your getting in somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if my combo of stats will make me competitive at mid to upper mid schools?

I think you need a GPA and MCAT above the school's median scores to be considered out-and-out competitive, but you certainly have a shot at mid to upper mid tier schools, and I am certain you'll get an acceptance somewhere. With good EC's and interview skills, my guess is that you'll have multiple acceptances to choose from.

Is this supposed to be a stealth brag thread or something? You know damn well you are getting in somewhere :rolleyes:

You are fine. Great score and stats. Goodluck

The ones who didn't get in with your stats (~10 or so percent of them) probably made one or more of the following mistakes.

1.) Applied the last week possible.
2.) Applied to 1 or 2 schools
3.) Applied to only the top 5 schools.

Don't do any of those and you'll get in.

The ones who didn't get in with your stats (~10 or so percent of them) probably made one or more of the following mistakes.

1.) Applied the last week possible.
2.) Applied to 1 or 2 schools
3.) Applied to only the top 5 schools.

Don't do any of those and you'll get in.

Other possible reasons:
4) Very poor interviewing skills
5) Unsupportive LORs
6) Lack of ECs

gearsofwar3 said:
My goal is to get in somewhere MD, that's all.
I think with a 41, you'll do fine.

Great job with the MCAT, man!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Showing that despite low GPA, MCAT can be defeated real good.

I think the 41 will be able to compensate for the lower science GPA.

You already asked this in the disciplinary action thread.