VERY late acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IshPsych

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I'm currently a student at LECOM and classes have been in session for about a month now. My first choice, CCOM, just notified me that I have been accepted to the class of 2009. At this point, if I were to go ahead and take the CCOM seat, I'd lose the first semester's tuition as well as a month's rent, not to mention the month invested in medical school already.

The reason I'm even considering this is because of family. If I do accept, I would have the opportunity to spend the breadth of my medical school educutation in my home town, Chicago. I am not miserable here but I do miss being in Chicago, dreary Erie isn't much of a place relative to it.

In the end I think I'd be a happier person, but do you guys think it's worth it? I'd have to withdraw and move back by Tuesday (today is Friday) which is the first day of classes at CCOM.

Thanks for your input, I greatly appreciate it.

Regards,
TornBetween

Members don't see this ad.

TornBetween said:
Hello guys,

I'm currently a student at LECOM and classes have been in session for about a month now. My first choice, CCOM, just notified me that I have been accepted to the class of 2009. At this point, if I were to go ahead and take the CCOM seat, I'd lose the first semester's tuition as well as a month's rent, not to mention the month invested in medical school already.

The reason I'm even considering this is because of family. If I do accept, I would have the opportunity to spend the breadth of my medical school educutation in my home town, Chicago. I am not miserable here but I do miss being in Chicago, dreary Erie isn't much of a place relative to it.

In the end I think I'd be a happier person, but do you guys think it's worth it? I'd have to withdraw and move back by Tuesday (today is Friday) which is the first day of classes at CCOM.

Thanks for your input, I greatly appreciate it.

Regards,
TornBetween

It would be quite a bit of money, but your happiness is important.

Put it this way: if the total cost of tuition at CCOM were increased by one semester of LECOM's tuition, would that kill it for you, or would you still go?

I personally think that being where you (and significant other if this applies to you) are going to be happiest is the most important thing... You can always pay back a more in loans when you're done.

Members don't see this ad :)
Something to consider: will you be able to take out more loans to cover the cost this semester? If you have already maxed your government and private loans at LECOM you might want to give CCOM's finical aid office a call to see if you can get an increased private loan amount.

Kubed said:
Something to consider: will you be able to take out more loans to cover the cost this semester? If you have already maxed your government and private loans at LECOM you might want to give CCOM’s finical aid office a call to see if you can get an increased private loan amount.

Definitely go where you'll be most happy! You can't turn down Chitown...well, the western burb of Downers Grove anyway. Good Luck! I'm sure that you'll be able to secure some private funding.

Have a look at our exam schedule before you make up your mind....

After living in Buffalo, NY for two years longer than intended, it really gets to you if your heart is not in it. I'm out of here at the end of the semester, off to sunnier places.

My $0.02: Although my friend is in your class at LECOM, if you'll be happier at CCOM then that is priceless. Tough noogies about the $$ if your wellbeing is at stake. Pardon my redunancy, but if you'll be happier elsewhere and have the golden ticket in your hand - move! - You'll be grateful in the end.

Oh come on Buckeye ;) - would you really rather have only 1-2 exams per class??? Really??? Failing one exam could really screw up your grades :) It is a rather heavy exam schedule but at least there's room to improve if you don't do well on one test.

And if you think exam schedule is difficult *this* quarter, wait until the spring....we had 26-27 exams last spring quarter :p .

being happy is most important... but that first semesters tuition is a lot of money... Quite a dilema. Good luck

Ask if they will allow you to use your "acceptance" as a ticket for transferring into the 2nd year class?