Very little time to decide, help me figure out which school has the happiest students PODIATRY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1061140

Hey all, I submitted my application to 6 podiatry schools a week ago and received 5 interviews. I wont have much time to decide between schools if i have more than one acceptance because of how late i applied so i need some advice. What i really want from a school is to have a support system and a administration that wants me to succeed and will lift me up if i am doing bad or am stressed, rather than a school who will look to make things more difficult than they have to be or find ways to make life as a pod student hard.

Ive read a few places that NYCPM is really only good for their residency and that they tend to cause their students a very hectic and stressful life do to bad professors and tons of examinations. Can anyone who attends or knows speak on that? I am aware medical school is extremely difficult regardless but does this reputation hold true?

On the flip side which program has the happiest students?

any input would be welcomed!

Members don't see this ad.

Happiest is subjective. You can go to any school and be miserable. You can go to any school and be happy.

If you are worried about performance, pick the school in the best location + support system for YOU outside of the faculty.
Picking the right "school" will not magically make you pass.

Reactions: 3 users
My only recommendation is to pick a school that offers optional attendance...other than that everything else YMMV.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My only recommendation is to pick a school that offers optional attendance...other than that everything else YMMV.
No truer words have been spoken. This is absolutely a big deal (for me anyways) lol.

Reactions: 1 user
I would say that KSUCPM has a reputation for having an extremely supportive faculty and a very family-like vibe. Think of a "midwest nice" type of atmosphere. It's definitely a place where you'd feel the staff and faculty care about you and your success. That's not to say that students don't have their gripes as they do everywhere else, but I don't think you'd find a nicer faculty. Campus is also very beautiful and the local cost of living is excellent. Feel free to DM me if you have any other questions!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Ive read a few places that NYCPM is really only good for their residency and that they tend to cause their students a very hectic and stressful life do to bad professors and tons of examinations. Can anyone who attends or knows speak on that?
Third-year NYCPM student here: I wouldn't say all professors are bad, there are few good ones who have office hours for extra help. I don't know if NYCPM is really good for their residency so I won't comment on that. Everything else you heard about NYCPM is probably true.

You should care more where you will be the happiest and not where other students are happy. No that it's not important, but "happiness" is subjective. When we talk about being happy at a certain school, it is about your own best fit at that school. So pick based on your values, needs, wants, etc. What will make me happy about the school might not be important for someone else.

Only 9 schools that will help you achieve the same objective/career outcome. All comes with their own gripes, benefits, etc.

Consider CoL and the environment that will help you perform at your best. You will be spending $300k anyway so might as well place it that will give you the best return.

You should care more where you will be the happiest and not where other students are happy. No that it's not important, but "happiness" is subjective. When we talk about being happy at a certain school, it is about your own best fit at that school. So pick based on your values, needs, wants, etc. What will make me happy about the school might not be important for someone else.
True but it isnt easy to know which school that will be. I think i may go with Kent because there seems to be a strong support for students.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you by chance know which ones are/are not?
NYCPM if I am not mistaken is known for having a strict attendance policy.

Here at Scholl, you have "mandatory" classes but they are mostly labs or clinic workshops.

NYCPM if I am not mistaken is known for having a strict attendance policy.

Here at Scholl, you have "mandatory" classes but they are mostly labs or clinic workshops.

Did they change that recently? When I was at Scholl pretty much every class in 2nd year and half the classes 1st year had attendance sheets circulating around regularly for mandatory attendance. Professors would also regularly refuse to upload powerpoints or lectures for students to download outside class because they wanted butts in chairs or they got their feelings hurt.

Not signing in was a ding to your "professionalism".

go to the school that will make you the happiest in 7 years when you start paying back your student loans. That school will be the one that leaves you with the lowest total amount owed. HINT: it is not NY or philly.

Did they change that recently? When I was at Scholl pretty much every class in 2nd year and half the classes 1st year had attendance sheets circulating around regularly for mandatory attendance. Professors would also regularly refuse to upload powerpoints or lectures for students to download outside class because they wanted butts in chairs or they got their feelings hurt.

Not signing in was a ding to your "professionalism".
I do not know how recent this change was but I have a feeling it was like this for a while. I hear the jokes from my uppers saying that they finally showed up for class for once.

A lot of the lectures, PPTs, PDFs (heck, even past years lecture recordings) etc. are uploaded the weekend prior to the start of the week.

Anatomy cadaver labs only have 3 mandatory... the rest of the scheduled labs are optional. Probably due to COVID though.

The ding to "professionalism" is still there for both DPM and MD, but I feel like it's not as intense as before.