Very Low EC, High GPA/MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noobertuber

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated in May in three years from a small private school with a double major in physics and mathematics and a 4.0 gpa. Since I only recently decided to go into medicine, I haven't taken many of the medical school chem/bio prerequisites, and I don't have any medical extracurriculars. That said, I have all of this year to devote to little else.
  • GPA: 4.0
  • MCAT: 518 (130/131/129/128) (predicted from FLs; taken 6/30)
  • White male California resident
  • No clinical experience, but am shadowing/researching starting this week
  • Math paper submitted, should be published eventually
  • ECs include karate, math competitions, programming competitions, and game development
Can my experience in math/physics/computer science help offset low ECs? Also, should I wait to apply until I receive my MCAT score?

Members don't see this ad.

Take this next year to finish up on your med school pre-reqs, get some clinical experience, and apply next year.

You should aim for at least 150-200 hours of clinical experience (paid or volunteer), at least 100 hours of non-clinical volunteering with those less fortunate than yourself, 50 hours of shadowing (at least some in primary care). All of that added to your GPA and (hopefully good) MCAT score should give you a successful application cycle...next cycle! Applying this cycle without any clinical experience will likely not end well for you.

Reactions: 1 users
Take this next year to finish up on your med school pre-reqs, get some clinical experience, and apply next year.

You should aim for at least 150-200 hours of clinical experience (paid or volunteer), at least 100 hours of non-clinical volunteering with those less fortunate than yourself, 50 hours of shadowing (at least some in primary care). All of that added to your GPA and (hopefully good) MCAT score should give you a successful application cycle...next cycle! Applying this cycle without any clinical experience will likely not end well for you.
This