Very Low Gpa (2.1), try masters (Last 60hour) ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

verylowgpa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a very low overall gpa of about 2.2 over about 200 hours. This is due to trying different paths during college, taking various classes here and there, not doing well, distractions etc... But I have recently graduated with a BS in biology from my most recent college with a gpa of 2.9 (gpa from most recent college), but my overall is still 2.2 counting previous colleges. My grades were fine for most of my pre-dental classes; its the other random classes i've taken which drove my gpa way down.

There is no way to increase my gpa now since I have too many hours. So I am mainly looking at masters programs that only looks at your last 60hours.

I saw some masters enhancement programs which require 3.0 in the last 60 hours. If I retake another 30 hours (about a year), my GPA for my last 60 hours can be above a 3.0. I do have good volunteer and shadowing hours.

If I get into one of these master programs and do very well, like 3.8+ grad gpa and get a very good DAT >20. Is it still possible that dental schools will overlook my horrible undergrad? or will they not even consider my application seeing the very low undergrad gpa even if I have excellent Masters gpa?

This route could take me 2-3 years before applying to dental school. 1 year of postbac classes to bring my last 60hr gpa to 3.0, and then a year or two master program.

I just hope my terrible undergrad career wont haunt me for the rest of my life even if I prove through a graduate program that I have changed.

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your GPA is the lowest I've seen. By "distractions etc..." I hope you mean financial problems, death in the family, health issues etc. You need to get a 4.0 and not a 3.8 in your situation for a grad GPA . You would also need to get far above a 20 on the DAT. You will probably have to do two years, retaking classes and taking upper level/grad level classes for schools to "forgive" your Undergrad GPA. 200 hours is a lot... I'm sorry for being frank, but in your situation, you should have a plan B in terms of career choice.

Reactions: 1 user
Um.. How about a new identity and start fresh?

I am sorry! I dont know what else to say about 2.2 and 200 hours.
For you to bring it up to 3, you need to do about 200 hours and get 4.0 which is not only difficult but also unrealistic.

Try masters or smp. And do extremely well on dat like othwr said and impress the hell out of adcom.

It sure looks like a very tough situation.
Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think I've ever told anyone to give up on dentistry here, but it's almost like you tried to fail...shyfox is right: You had to have some REAL excuse to get that gpa over 200 hours. That is one of the most extreme GPAs I've ever seen. I say don't waste more money and time at this point and just get a job for now.

https://www.tmdsas.com/dental/academic_fresh_start.htm

probably your best and only shot. good luck.

This program looks amazing for people who did terrible in undergrad and have been working for 10+ years and want to change careers. As it states it is an all-or-nothing plan. OP if you truly want to get into dental school and it's been 10 years since your last undergrad class and there is nothing tying you down to where you're currently living (if outside of Texas) then I would say move to Texas and do this.

This program looks amazing for people who did terrible in undergrad and have been working for 10+ years and want to change careers. As it states it is an all-or-nothing plan. OP if you truly want to get into dental school and it's been 10 years since your last undergrad class and there is nothing tying you down to where you're currently living (if outside of Texas) then I would say move to Texas and do this.
wow I never knew there was such a forgiving program like this...hell yeah drop everything and get your ass to texas and do this for sure.

You'll need to add another 2 years to start this plan. From there, 2.5 years to complete those 90 credits. If you want it that bad, then do it, but financially and realistically, it's probably not a good choice. If you fail, you wasted so much money and time. A lot of risk so think about it wisely. If you weren't up to the challenge before, what makes you think you are up for it now?

So even if I did excellent on Masters + DAT, that horrible undergrad gpa will still shut out all Dental Schools? If that's the case, it seems that spending money on a Masters program might end up being a waste. If the masters can at least guarantee some return in terms of a better/higher paying job, then it might be worth the risk in going through with it, but if a science masters will pay not much more than a BS in biology, then its not worth it.

There are also some other programs i've been looking into that mostly look at your recent performance rather than overall. Programs such as nursing, hygienist etc... So I need to decide if its worth taking the masters route and stick with Dental, or should I just try to get into one of these other programs.

So even if I did excellent on Masters + DAT, that horrible undergrad gpa will still shut out all Dental Schools? If that's the case, it seems that spending money on a Masters program might end up being a waste. If the masters can at least guarantee some return in terms of a better/higher paying job, then it might be worth the risk in going through with it, but if a science masters will pay not much more than a BS in biology, then its not worth it.

There are also some other programs i've been looking into that mostly look at your recent performance rather than overall. Programs such as nursing, hygienist etc... So I need to decide if its worth taking the masters route and stick with Dental, or should I just try to get into one of these other programs.
It's just a lot of time and money that you will be investing for an increase in probability. Remember that there are people with high GPA and DAT and get rejected. The application process is a game of odds. If there a dental school near you, go and ask if you can make an appointment with the Dean. His insight will be much better than mine or anyone else here on this site. Just be prepared for tough love.

I've seen people with 2.xx GPA getting their GPA up to 3.xx with hard work, but because of the number of credits you have already, that is probably out of the question, it will simply just take too long to offset the 200 hours worth of 2.2.

The texas's academic fresh start seems like a really good option for you if it fits your situation.
I wonder why they don't have such program in all 50 states. If it has been 10 years since you graduated, you should be given a second chance if you want a career change.

I've seen people with 2.xx GPA getting their GPA up to 3.xx with hard work, but because of the number of credits you have already, that is probably out of the question, it will simply just take too long to offset the 200 hours worth of 2.2.

The texas's academic fresh start seems like a really good option for you if it fits your situation.
I wonder why they don't have such program in all 50 states. If it has been 10 years since you graduated, you should be given a second chance if you want a career change.
If he wants it badly and works his ass of, then I can see some schools making the exception.