Very low gpa and looking for masters programs. HELP!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Madisonleandra

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a junior in college and unfortunately my overall GPA is a 2.67 (did horrible in organic chemistry). Even though I know my gpa is too low to apply for dental school I was wondering what majors could I look into for a masters program. I have already heard of doing biology, medical science, and post-baccalaureate pre-med programs....but because I wanna save money and be close to home are there any other majors I could look into for my masters?

Members don't see this ad.

Do an informal post-bacc at the uni close to home

you were asking for a cheap major to do a master in? All majors should cost about the same, they are calculated by tuition rate/credit. Official post-bacc programs, especially those offered to the pre-med usually are very expensive but they offer very good science courses that could help you prove to the admission committee you can handle tough science. when you have a low gpa like that, don't think that you could just be in any master program, do well in it and it will fix/mask your undergrad gpa. What the school wants to see is whether or not you could handle the tough bio science courses like Immunology, Histology, Physiology ect...So taking master in like public health won't help you at all because you will be taking social sciences instead. So, follow the advice above, do informal post-bacc, take as many upper division courses as possible, and got As in them to even have a shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do an informal post-bacc at the uni close to home
Would you clarify what you mean by "informal post-bacc" please? What would be considered a formal post-bacc? Sorry, I'm not familiar with the phrase. Thanks.

informal = you register and take classes on your own, you get to choose the classes you want to take, any amount of credits you want, and at any university you want, at your convenience. Ppl typically take either pre-req courses if they haven't done so (usually the ones who were non-science major decide that they want dentistry later in their time. Some others, if they are science majors but got low gpa, then they retake science courses or take some more hard cord science courses.

formal post-bacc: a structured program, offered by many universities. You have to apply and got admitted. They have certain classes that you have to take (mostly really good biomedical science courses). Some programs offer at guarantee admission to the partner med/dental school upon completion of the program with good grades.

Reactions: 1 user