Very low GPA, applying for Fall 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

8808995pharm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 2.6 cumulative GPA right now, and I have one more semester to go before I graduate. I'm hoping to graduate with at least a 2.75 this Spring (granted I get good grades this Spring semester). I want to take the PCAT this summer and was hoping to apply for Fall 2017 for pharmacy school. I know this is an awfully low GPA, so what do you think my options are?

Do I still have a shot? Can I compensate by scoring really high in my PCAT?

Someone suggested that I should consider doing a masters in biology and apply for pharmacy after that. What do you think?

I'm currently a pharmacy technician at a local pharmacy, and I intend to volunteer at the hospital this Spring.

Any help or advice is appreciated. I really have my mind set for pharmacy, I only wish I focused more during my first 2 years of undergrad so I wouldn't be in this situation.

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend looking into doing a masters degree that is science intensive to show you are capable of doing upper level course work and youll need to crush your PCAT. I was in the same boat but worked hard to make my academic image look better and now I have acceptances coming in this year.

Post bacc is the way to go. If you have one year left, your gpa can rise to at least a 3.0 with all A's.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
These people are crazy, apply away! I'm sure people with sub 2.0 will be accepted soon. You have 130 chances, take them all!!

Reactions: 4 users
These people are crazy, apply away! I'm sure people with sub 2.0 will be accepted soon. You have 130 chances, take them all!!
pass the stuff youre smoking over. it must be good.

Reactions: 5 users

Schools only care that you have a pulse and tons of student loan money.

Reactions: 1 users
apply to all the new schools. I have heard sub 2.5 GPAs are getting accepted. If you have the required credit to get 400,000 in student loans they want to accept you.

Interviewer: You have a GPA of 2.1 and PCAT score of 30. Also, I haven't seen any pharmacy experience or extracurricular activities.

Candidate: But my pulse was measured to be 70 when I got here, and I am involved in activity. As you can see, I can breathe and move around.

Interviewer: Fair enough. Now, do understand that tuition will cost you $50k each year for the next four years. Are you able to afford that?

Candidate: I don't have it right now, but I can always borrow money for that.

Interviewer: Congratulations. You're accepted.

Reactions: 10 users
Thanks guys for the motivation! I think I may just have a chance!!

I know volunteering is big, but someone told me that volunteering at a hospital is really cliche (especially when applying for med/dental/pharm). I'm still going to volunteer a bit at the hospital, but do you guys recommend any other ideal places to rack up some volunteer hours?

Thanks again!

Thanks guys for the motivation! I think I may just have a chance!!

I know volunteering is big, but someone told me that volunteering at a hospital is really cliche (especially when applying for med/dental/pharm). I'm still going to volunteer a bit at the hospital, but do you guys recommend any other ideal places to rack up some volunteer hours?

Thanks again!
maybe join some clubs or orgs at your school?

I have a 2.6 cumulative GPA right now, and I have one more semester to go before I graduate. I'm hoping to graduate with at least a 2.75 this Spring (granted I get good grades this Spring semester). I want to take the PCAT this summer and was hoping to apply for Fall 2017 for pharmacy school. I know this is an awfully low GPA, so what do you think my options are?

Someone suggested that I should consider doing a masters in biology and apply for pharmacy after that. What do you think?

I'm currently a pharmacy technician at a local pharmacy, and I intend to volunteer at the hospital this Spring.

Any help or advice is appreciated. I really have my mind set for pharmacy, I only wish I focused more during my first 2 years of undergrad so I wouldn't be in this situation.
Find newer programs and apply. They are accepting students with below your GPA everyday. Look at California schools. There are 13 schools and many of them didn't fill their classes last year. Plus, California schools don't usually ask for the PCAT

Look on PharmCAS at minimum GPAs. See if you meet the minimum for any schools. If not, a post bacc may help, but only if you buckle down and do well. You need to figure out why your grades are so low and fix it. If you can't, you run a high drop out risk, which means paying back loans with no supporting degree.

lol don't worry, you will likely be accepted

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 2.8 and a PCAT of 38, I've gotten contacted for interviews from 2 schools. Apply broadly. It can happen.

Interviewer: You have a GPA of 2.1 and PCAT score of 30. Also, I haven't seen any pharmacy experience or extracurricular activities.

Candidate: But my pulse was measured to be 70 when I got here, and I am involved in activity. As you can see, I can breathe and move around.

Interviewer: Fair enough. Now, do understand that tuition will cost you $50k each year for the next four years. Are you able to afford that?

Candidate: I don't have it right now, but I can always borrow money for that.

Interviewer: Congratulations. You're accepted.
lol on point..

So I was in a similar situation, graduated with a BS, and a 2.7 GPA. I didn't figure out what I wanted to do until a couple years after graduating. I did some pre reqs, and a year long post bacc, averaging about 3.9 on GPA, and got a 95 composite on the PCAT. I've also been volunteering with a couple charities that mean a lot to me, and working as a tech for a couple years at a retail store.

I've gotten about 7 interviews, and so far 3 acceptances with the others pending. One of these is a top 10 school on US News ranking, so apply broadly.

Honestly, look at why you want to do this job. It's going to very competitive, and getting into school is just the beginning. You're going to have to apply and compete again for rotations, residencies, fellowships, and jobs. Do charity work that means something to you, give back to your community, and do it for yourself, not just because it looks good on an application. Since your GPA is low, look for ways to prove to an admissions committee that you're able to handle a heavy academic course load. Finally, know why you want to do this as a career. The interviews and essays will ask you about a million different ways as to why you want to enter this competitive field, and if you're just reciting what you think sounds good, they will know. If you're second guessing this job, I suggest getting more experience until you're sure one way or the other.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions, I'm still going through the process so I don't know much, but I'll offer what I can

So I was in a similar situation, graduated with a BS, and a 2.7 GPA. I didn't figure out what I wanted to do until a couple years after graduating. I did some pre reqs, and a year long post bacc, averaging about 3.9 on GPA, and got a 95 composite on the PCAT. I've also been volunteering with a couple charities that mean a lot to me, and working as a tech for a couple years at a retail store.

I've gotten about 7 interviews, and so far 3 acceptances with the others pending. One of these is a top 10 school on US News ranking, so apply broadly.

Honestly, look at why you want to do this job. It's going to very competitive, and getting into school is just the beginning. You're going to have to apply and compete again for rotations, residencies, fellowships, and jobs. Do charity work that means something to you, give back to your community, and do it for yourself, not just because it looks good on an application. Since your GPA is low, look for ways to prove to an admissions committee that you're able to handle a heavy academic course load. Finally, know why you want to do this as a career. The interviews and essays will ask you about a million different ways as to why you want to enter this competitive field, and if you're just reciting what you think sounds good, they will know. If you're second guessing this job, I suggest getting more experience until you're sure one way or the other.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions, I'm still going through the process so I don't know much, but I'll offer what I can

This eases my worries a bit. My cGPA for Pharmcas will end up in the 2.6-2.7 range, but I finished my B.S. in Biochem with a 3.92, have 9200+hrs tech experience, and got a 98 composite on the PCAT. Im hoping I get close to the same amount of interviews that you were able to.

This eases my worries a bit. My cGPA for Pharmcas will end up in the 2.6-2.7 range, but I finished my B.S. in Biochem with a 3.92, have 9200+hrs tech experience, and got a 98 composite on the PCAT. Im hoping I get close to the same amount of interviews that you were able to.

How long did you study for the PCAT and what resources did you use?

How long did you study for the PCAT and what resources did you use?
To be honest it was a last minute decision to take it. I paid the late fee in December to take it in January. I had finals for my last semester of undergrad, so I only dedicated about 20 hrs max to studying for the PCAT (but I also got my degree in Biochemistry, so it was more of a prep for the question types rather than the material itself). I used the Kaplan Test Prep. I'll swear by it. There is no reason to waste your money on any other prep. I believe it was around $35 on Amazon and comes with two practice tests that are LITERALLY the exact same format/question type/difficulty as the actual PCAT. By the time I took the real thing, it was as if I was taking it for the 3rd time. It honestly kinda felt unfair that there was a resource like that lol. Anyone with a strong science background (which you should have if you're planning on being a competitive applicant) should by more than okay with just the Kaplan Prep. Not saying its a guaranteed 90+, but its pretty damn close.

And to comment on the theme of this thread, with my stats mentioned above I applied to Western New England University, University of St. Joseph, Long Island University, Touro, and Albany College of Pharmacy. I received a secondary app from Touro, but decided not to complete it because I decided against going to school in the city. I was denied by LIU. I received interviews with WNE, USJ, and Albany. I declined Albany and interviewed with WNE and USJ. I was accepted by both. I've decided to attend USJ. Long story short, low GPA can be overcame as long as the other aspects of your app are solid. Work hard and it will pay off. Thats what I've learned.

I am on the same boat here...I am a current senior graduating with a B.S. in biological sciences.
After a few years of searching, I discovered that there is so much more to becoming a pharmacist behind a drug store counter. I hope to gain more insight into the pharmaceutical industry or even specialize in related areas.
However, the major problem is my gpa (~2.8). I have had problem motivating myself to study in my sophmore year due to personal problems and was hopelessly lost. However, I recovered and brought myself up. Within the past year, I have been involved in research for Huntington Disease and participated in a mentorship program that deals with underprivileged High school students. I also plan to take a year off and pursue working in retail pharmacy after I graduate.
I understand that gpa is a major factor in admission to a Cali-pharmacy school and since this is a limiting factor for me, I am in dire need to direction.
Also, what is this post bacc that brought grades up?
Should I take the PCAT, score in the 80+ and give up on Cali schools? Please let me know.

I've been in the same position for a while, and searched this topic many times wondering the same thing. Well, I have some more words of encouragement. I screwed around back in the day and really didn't have a career path in mind. I had thought about pharmacy, but I wasn't focused and I didn't see the classes I was taking as a step to my future... they were just more school.

Anyway, I took 10 years to finally get my degree in chemistry (taking 1-2 classes at a time for the last few years with some semesters off in there too, all paying cash). Now one caveat is I've always been good at taking standardized tests. In 2009 I took the PCAT twice and scored an 87 then 91 composite. However I did not yet have my degree and let's just say I was searching for schools without a minimum GPA. Needless to say that attempt was fruitless.

Moving forward a few years, I had 8 years experience in a pharmacy, I finished my degree with all A's after going back including PChem II with an A- (5 classes over 3 semesters, still going slow) and retook Organic I and II, A&P I and II and labs, and took Psychology in 2014-15 with A's in all but A&P II lab where I had a B+. ALL that still barely brought my GPA up because I had far too many credits. But it got me over the minimum for many schools... a very sad and embarrassing 2.502 overall. When I say barely, I mean BARELY over the minimum. So to offset this I resolved to blow the PCAT out of the water. My old scores had expired and I really needed to wow the schools to get interviews. So that's just what I did. I scored 95 composite on the PCAT and that seemed to do the trick. I was flooded with "Hey apply to our school!" spam. Maybe that was just from signing up to Pharmcas, but that had never happened before.

I applied to 8 schools and was invited for 4 interviews. Auburn, Samford, Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED), and Mercer. Auburn and Samford were first. I had plenty of family that attended pharmacy school at both schools and the interviews went well but they were concerned with my high PCAT and low GPA. They both said that was indicative of a student that obviously has the intelligence to succeed but maybe not the drive and study habits. Their suggestion was to take more upper level science courses to show I can handle the curriculum, and that's just what I was planning to start this summer. The NEOMED interview was fantastic. We actually ran over time because we were just having a nice conversation. The school was great and I love the area, but I was concerned I'd have the same issue as Auburn and Samford. Well last Tuesday I was accepted to NEOMED!! Just received my acceptance packet yesterday. I was actually worried the email was a mistake when I first got it haha. I was having dreams about them calling me to apologize for the error. I'm still waiting to hear from Mercer. That interview went the same way, also ran over time and had a great conversation. If I get in there it'll be a tough decision, but that's a problem I'm happy to have!!

So don't give up hope!! Just keep working and be persistent.

I've been in the same position for a while, and searched this topic many times wondering the same thing. Well, I have some more words of encouragement. I screwed around back in the day and really didn't have a career path in mind. I had thought about pharmacy, but I wasn't focused and I didn't see the classes I was taking as a step to my future... they were just more school.

This is so encouraging. Thanks for sharing! Best of luck :)

Ohio has seven schools of pharmacy. Do you plan on working in Ohio? Or do you plan on working in California? It seems like 99% of the pharmacy students on this forum are trying to get into California.

Do well on the remaining classes, have a conversation with the pharmacy dean and pharmacy advisors. Definitely do well on the PCAT.

Ohio has seven schools of pharmacy. Do you plan on working in Ohio? Or do you plan on working in California? It seems like 99% of the pharmacy students on this forum are trying to get into California.

Of the seven four of those are 0+6 which really only take a couple seats a year to replace dropouts.

This is great detail and encouragement. Is PACT helped you for admission or school calculate their GPA and ignore Pharmcas GPA.

Did you apply or went with master route? If you can share experience would be great.

Honestly, for everyone with these similar concerns, unless you have below a 2.0 and 50 on your PCAT (if your school asks for it) apply to the schools you wish. Most schools now except the rare crazy cases and you never know. BUT apply ONLY if pharmacy is your passion and you can show it through your essay and interview. If you're looking for a cash cow - stop what you're doing and find your passion because you're going to hate the process every step of the way and if you get into school, you'll probably hate yourself and the process there too.