DO Very low GPA, Decent MCAT, what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zabooni

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm applying to Osteopathic Schools with the following stats as a Biology Major:

cGPA of 3.06.
sGPA of 2.79.
32 MCAT.

In terms of EC, I have a decent amount of volunteering, a lot of leadership experience in student run organizations, working on my shadowing/DO recommendation at the moment. Two of my LORs from school should be very strong, and the 3rd probably just very solid.

What are my chances, and anyone have some good schools to target as a WA state resident? I'm planning on retaking some classes which should get my sGPA up to 3, but that'll be by the next cycle. So if I do that how much will my chances be improved?

Members don't see this ad.

I think if you are able to raise your cGPA up a little and your sGPA to at least a 3 you would be in good shape. Many schools have a GPA cutoff and below 3.0 will get you an auto-rejection. Raising your GPA is easier said than done but luckly DO schools take grade replacement, so retake what you can.

Hey guys,

I'm applying to Osteopathic Schools with the following stats as a Biology Major:

cGPA of 3.06.
sGPA of 2.79.
32 MCAT.

In terms of EC, I have a decent amount of volunteering, a lot of leadership experience in student run organizations, working on my shadowing/DO recommendation at the moment. Two of my LORs from school should be very strong, and the 3rd probably just very solid.

What are my chances, and anyone have some good schools to target as a WA state resident? I'm planning on retaking some classes which should get my sGPA up to 3, but that'll be by the next cycle. So if I do that how much will my chances be improved?

We're somewhat similar stats wise. I have an identical composite MCAT and a slightly higher sGPA and cGPA. In terms of GPA, we're both underdogs. As for chances, I would strongly recommend you retake some science classes to boost the sGPA above 3.0 in order to have a decent shot and not get screened at some schools. Being a WA resident, the only school that you might have a slightly easier time getting into is PNWU. Their average MCATs are relatively low at ~25, but their average GPAs are around 3.3 or 3.4

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies guys! Yeah I agree I need to raise the sGPA and I should be able to get that up to 3.0 after two quarters I believe, so it would be just in time for next cycle.

I do have a real passion for medicine, and so I do feel like I would be able to do well in interviews, I just need someone to give me an opportunity to show it.

But feel free to be harsh, just strictly in terms of this cycle do you guys think I have a legit chance or am I dreaming?

This cycle? Make a list of at least 10 schools. Send an email to the admissions office of every school in your list and explain your situation and your desire to apply this cycle. Some schools may tell you right off the bat that there is nothing that can be done unless you raise your GPA. However some schools may consider your MCAT more and tell you to apply to them. You should then apply to them this cycle.

It doesn't hurt to write an email. In fact, you can even copy and paste the main body of the email and save a lot of time. Email as many schools as you can, even all the DO schools (except for state DO schools like MSUCOM, TCOM, OU-HCOM, Rowan etc.)

We're somewhat similar stats wise. I have an identical composite MCAT and a slightly higher sGPA and cGPA. In terms of GPA, we're both underdogs. As for chances, I would strongly recommend you retake some science classes to boost the sGPA above 3.0 in order to have a decent shot and not get screened at some schools. Being a WA resident, the only school that you might have a slightly easier time getting into is PNWU. Their average MCATs are relatively low at ~25, but their average GPAs are around 3.3 or 3.4

Thanks man and best of luck to you! Both of us are gonna make it, I'm sure! Yeah PNWU is my top choice, I'd love to have the opportunity to go there, and being a WA resident is going to be a nice plus for that I hope.