Aug 18, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
I have a very low gpa 2.37 because i was lazy and wasn't motivated, lacked discipline. I was originally a pharm major then switched to a bunch of other science majors and because i never took it seriously my grades remained low. I thought maybe science wasnt for me so i switched my major to psychology and this time i got myself together and ive been doing better ever since ,however, theyre just psych courses. Do you think i still have a chance if im willing to do what it takes to repair my grades?

Bio- C- , ,retook but resigned
Orgo- resigned
Chem- C- ,retook resigned
Microbio and anatomy- F
Physio-D
(I had to resign because of financial reasons)
My plan was to stay in undergrad to retake all of the courses above as well as take other higher lvl science courses to bring my gpa up. I know this may take 2/3 years but im willing do put the work in. Do you think that i should follow this path? I want someone to tell me that its possible but I know that im in a really really deep hole. Please help me , any advice on what i should do is appreciated

htorres89

5+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2014
Honestly, you will most likely have to do a masters program because even if you retake all your courses, I believe from what I heard is that dental schools just take the average of your first and second grades for that class. A friend of mine had your gpa in undergrad. He had no choice but to do a masters program and murder it. He got like a 3.7 gpa in there I believe. Now he is in dental school.

Reactions: xkc9126x
OP
H
Aug 18, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Honestly, you will most likely have to do a masters program because even if you retake all your courses, I believe from what I heard is that dental schools just take the average of your first and second grades for that class. A friend of mine had your gpa in undergrad. He had no choice but to do a masters program and murder it. He got like a 3.7 gpa in there I believe. Now he is in dental school.
Ok thank you for your reply, do you know if your friend also had to retake a lot of his science courses?

Nov 22, 2014
Status
Non-Student
Ok thank you for your reply, do you know if your friend also had to retake a lot of his science courses?
You will have to retake all of those science classes because dental schools won't accept grades less than a C in any pre-req's.

OP
H
Aug 18, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
You will have to retake all of those science classes because dental schools won't accept grades less than a C in any pre-req's.
Ok so what happens if i took gen chem I got c- and retook it and resigned, retake it and get an A. Someone told me they only avg the first two grades so in my case if i resigned the second time, what would happen? Do i still have a chance?

OP
H
Aug 18, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Ok so what happens if i took gen chem I got c- and retook it and resigned, retake it and get an A. Someone told me they only avg the first two grades so in my case if i resigned the second time, what would happen?
Would i still have a shot?

DetermineDent

2+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
They average all of your grades

But if your withdrew/resigned. It'll show a W on your transcript and that isn't worth anything in GPA, it just doesn't look good

May 6, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
They use every single letter grade you received regardless of retakes or not. Now if you resigned (if withdaw pass), they will not be counted for your gpa but will show up on your transcript. It would look horrible if you withdraw from Gen chem 2 times.

Nov 22, 2014
Status
Non-Student
Ok so what happens if i took gen chem I got c- and retook it and resigned, retake it and get an A. Someone told me they only avg the first two grades so in my case if i resigned the second time, what would happen? Do i still have a chance?
The reality is, you have dug yourself a deep, deep hole with the low grades then the withdrawals. Both of those are very big black marks. You need to prove to dental schools that you will stick with the program and do well enough to pass your classes. Right now, I would say you have no chance at all getting into dental school. If you want to improve your chances, you need to take a 2 masters program and get all A's. You then need to get a 23 or better on the DAT. If you are not willing to do either of these, you won't get into dental school.

OP
H
Aug 18, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
The reality is, you have dug yourself a deep, deep hole with the low grades then the withdrawals. Both of those are very big black marks. You need to prove to dental schools that you will stick with the program and do well enough to pass your classes. Right now, I would say you have no chance at all getting into dental school. If you want to improve your chances, you need to take a 2 masters program and get all A's. You then need to get a 23 or better on the DAT. If you are not willing to do either of these, you won't get into dental school.
Ok thanks for the advice

May 6, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Your best option would be taking a Master's program, but you need a higher gpa to take these programs. I think you should retake all your pre-req classes that you got C- or lower and then take additional biology course to raise your gpa for a year. These classes will prepare you for the DAT as well. Apply for a SMP and do extremely well on it along with an awesome DAT score will get you good results!

OP
H
Aug 18, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Your best option would be taking a Master's program, but you need a higher gpa to take these programs. I think you should retake all your pre-req classes that you got C- or lower and then take additional biology course to raise your gpa for a year. These classes will prepare you for the DAT as well. Apply for a SMP and do extremely well on it along with an awesome DAT score will get you good results!
Thank you. I really appreciate all these advice