This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.


Full Member
May 1, 2016
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
My GPA is a 2.5 and I'm a senior. I've had trouble focusing on school (finally diagnosed with ADHD 5 months ago and have been making all A's for the past two semester after diagnosis/medication). I am certain that I have the ability to do well in my classes if given the opportunity to redo, now that I am able to focus. Since I am a senior, my year of A's isn't bringing my GPA up very high.

I'm looking at post-bacc programs and most of them require atleast a 3.0. Would it be possible for me to take the MCAT, do well, and have my MCAT score count in place of my GPA? Or will I automatically be screened out if I have a low GPA?

I am certain that I can do the coursework; my low grades are mainly in my chemistry classes. I also know that I now can do well because I have found the root problem of my low grades: my inability to focus, and have found a solution.

Dr. Jan Itor

The Janitor
5+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2014
Reaction score
I'd take a year or two to retake the classes that you did poorly in and apply to DO schools since they offer grade replacement.


Full Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2014
Reaction score
You do not need to go to a formal post-bac program. You can do what is called an "informal" post-bac program by signing up for courses as a post-bac / second degree student. As the poster above mentioned, look into osteopathic medical schools and learn about their grade replacement program. Retake all F/D/C- grades to increase your cGPA / sGPA.
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user