very low gpa, very high mcat. help please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor7790

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I need some advice regarding the best course of action for me to get into medical school from here. I have a 2.7 cgpa and 2.5 sgpa. During college, I was working a lot to help pay for textbooks and living expenses (nearly full time) and saw my academic record dwindle. My first year in college I averaged a 3.5gpa but as I moved into harder courses, the gpa got worse and worse. Long story short, after graduating I started to volunteer at a hospital and realized my love for medicine. I have considered a multitude of careers over the years from biomedical research to health law to financial planning. However, nothing makes me feel as fulfilled and happy as a career in medicine. After I realized this, I buckled down, studied for the mcat during every free second I had over the course of several months and was able to somehow score a 40 on it. I am now extremely dedicated and would be willing to do anything necessary to become a doctor.

In terms of EC's, I do not have anything outstanding. 1.5 years of molecular biology research, 1.5 years of hospital volunteering.

My question is, would I be able to get into any osteopathic medical school with these statistics? If yes, which schools would be more forgiving of my sub 3.0 gpa?
If no, should I apply carribbean?
what would be the best course of action from here? I do not have much financial freedom and am still paying back tuition for undergrad so paying for a bunch of post bacc classes would be very difficult.

Thank you in advance for any advice you may provide.

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the time, a low gpa is because of that dreadful freshman year. In your case, it's just the opposite: where you state, (I paraphrase) "the higher the level, the worse my grades became." Imagine how they'd feel over in the admissions trying to decide your fate if they heard that. They'd shake their heads, worrying you couldn't handle the higher levels that are required for med school. Your best course of action and done successfully by many is to take a post-bac.

Since that doesn't sound like a feasible option, consider applying to osteopathic schools. May not be the type of education you yearned for, but that's a whole lot better than going to the Carribean. In terms of which schools don't care about the gpa: you're out of luck. Most use a computer to screen out the applications that fall below their desired profile, so you probably don't have a chance.

You are rolling the dice on whether your application is kicked out for a 2.7, but you should apply somewhere at least to show that your 40 shows you have potential.

Not all post-bac courses are super expensive....I've heard some extension programs charge even less - as little as $500 a course.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you think you'd do better in medical school?

As of ritght now, GPA is too low for DO programs. You're still breathing, and so you're qualified for any Carib diploma mill (provided you can write an up-front tuition check). Don't expect a residency if you finish.

Suggest waiting a few years, pay off the debt, save for a SMP, and then prove you can handle medical school.

Hello,

I need some advice regarding the best course of action for me to get into medical school from here. I have a 2.7 cgpa and 2.5 sgpa. During college, I was working a lot to help pay for textbooks and living expenses (nearly full time) and saw my academic record dwindle. My first year in college I averaged a 3.5gpa but as I moved into harder courses, the gpa got worse and worse. Long story short, after graduating I started to volunteer at a hospital and realized my love for medicine. I have considered a multitude of careers over the years from biomedical research to health law to financial planning. However, nothing makes me feel as fulfilled and happy as a career in medicine. After I realized this, I buckled down, studied for the mcat during every free second I had over the course of several months and was able to somehow score a 40 on it. I am now extremely dedicated and would be willing to do anything necessary to become a doctor.

In terms of EC's, I do not have anything outstanding. 1.5 years of molecular biology research, 1.5 years of hospital volunteering.

My question is, would I be able to get into any osteopathic medical school with these statistics? If yes, which schools would be more forgiving of my sub 3.0 gpa?
If no, should I apply carribbean?
what would be the best course of action from here? I do not have much financial freedom and am still paying back tuition for undergrad so paying for a bunch of post bacc classes would be very difficult.

Thank you in advance for any advice you may provide.

such a shame your GPA is so low, with an MCAT like that, even an average premed GPA wouldve taken you places