Very low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SBTF2008

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a pretty tough situation. In my first few years of college I didn't do so well, and as a result, when I apply for medical school this summer I will have about a 3.3. cGPA and a 3.0 sGPA. I'm plan to go the DO route (which I had been planning on before I even entered college).
Part of the reason I did so poorly was because I am involved in many things outside of my academics... I am a volunteer EMT, I sit on my school's student advisory council, I am the president of two campus clubs, and I volunteer at my town's local crisis shelter. This is in addition to all of the other pre-med stuff; hospital volunteering, doctor shadowing, etc. The thing that occupies most of my time, however, is my involvement in several political organizations that aim to help pass legislation that thwarts terrorism (using sanctions, divestment, etc.). I feel that this is an extremely important contribution to both of my countries (I am an American citizen now but I am naturalized). However, medical school has always been my dream, and I'm afraid that I am no longer in the position to obtain it.
I am seeking advise regarding my chances. Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
p.s..I feel like this might be necessary to your assessment. I have retaken several (I think 7) classes for better grades, and I have two semesters of complete withdrawals, because my government required that I appear before them for military and family reasons.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in a pretty tough situation. In my first few years of college I didn't do so well, and as a result, when I apply for medical school this summer I will have about a 3.3. cGPA and a 3.0 sGPA. I'm plan to go the DO route (which I had been planning on before I even entered college).
Part of the reason I did so poorly was because I am involved in many things outside of my academics... I am a volunteer EMT, I sit on my school's student advisory council, I am the president of two campus clubs, and I volunteer at my town's local crisis shelter. This is in addition to all of the other pre-med stuff; hospital volunteering, doctor shadowing, etc. The thing that occupies most of my time, however, is my involvement in several political organizations that aim to help pass legislation that thwarts terrorism (using sanctions, divestment, etc.). I feel that this is an extremely important contribution to both of my countries (I am an American citizen now but I am naturalized). However, medical school has always been my dream, and I'm afraid that I am no longer in the position to obtain it.
I am seeking advise regarding my chances. Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
p.s..I feel like this might be necessary to your assessment. I have retaken several (I think 7) classes for better grades, and I have two semesters of complete withdrawals, because my government required that I appear before them for military and family reasons.
28+ MCAT and apply early and broadly should give you a decent. In your case, I really think DO is within reach.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is 3.3 your AACOMAS GPA, or your GPA with all courses included? You know about the DO grade replacement policy, right?

Your ECs are terrific. Your Personal Statement should be compelling and you write well. You have a good explanation for the Ws and Fs. Your cGPA is below the 3.45 median for those accepted to DO schools, but not too far below, and your MCAT score can compensate for that, as demayette said. Hopefully, you have some supportive letters of recommendation, one from a DO physician.

Don't lose heart now. You're almost there. I think your dream is within your grasp if you can conquer the beast (MCAT).

Thank you all for your encouragement. I have yet to take the MCAT, but I begin a practice course this coming January. I am aware of the grade replacement policy, so the 3.3 and 3.0 are with replaced grades from my retakes.

Also, I will be providing letters of recommendation from a DO that I will have shadowed for about nine months at the time of application and a nutritional biochemistry professor that I currently research with. I believe I need three references- does anybody know if both of the faculty letters need to be from science professors? If yes that is fine, however my strongest relationships (aside from the two mentioned already) are with non-science faculty.

Just was curious...i think it's very cool that you are getting involved in political organizations, etc and i'm sure the admissions committee would think so as well!