LooKing4Ward

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2005
Status
With a 2.5 cum/2.2 science undergrad GPA, even doing perfect in post-bac it will average to 3.0 or less (much too low to be competitive). 2006 AMCAS Grade Conversion Guide says you can "include your undergraduate post-baccalaurate courses in your cumulative undergraduate GPA. Do not include graduate courses in your cumulative GPA – calculate separately". If they use a computer to filter out by GPA, I don't see how a low gpa'er can even get an interview. You can have a perfect post-bac, Masters, MCAT, and EC but if you can't get an interview, so what.

playthatfunky

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2005
Status
LooKing4Ward said:
With a 2.5 cum/2.2 science undergrad GPA, even doing perfect in post-bac it will average to 3.0 or less (much too low to be competitive). 2006 AMCAS Grade Conversion Guide says you can "include your undergraduate post-baccalaurate courses in your cumulative undergraduate GPA. Do not include graduate courses in your cumulative GPA – calculate separately". If they use a computer to filter out by GPA, I don't see how a low gpa'er can even get an interview. You can have a perfect post-bac, Masters, MCAT, and EC but if you can't get an interview, so what.
my very best friend in the whole world had a 2.4 gpa and got into a top 10 medical school. she had a 2.0 undergrad, got a perfect 4.0 on the sciences at a community college, got a 41R on the MCAT I believe (not positive), got only 3 interviews and got into her #1 "dream" school that she thought she had no chance at. they asked her in her interview why her undergrad GPA was low and she told them she was heavily into drugs and didn't care about school so perhaps they appreciated her honesty.

moral of the story: ace your mcat and someone will give you an interview

OP
L

LooKing4Ward

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2005
Status
I wonder how much knowing somebody who knows somebody plays a part in you getting an interview and accepted. You do very well in post-bac and/or smp and the advisors/faculties you work with just happens to be very close friends with ad comms and they refer/recommend you so your app goes to the top of the pile.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
Wild west of Mistytown
Status
LooKing4Ward said:
Yeah that is something that concerns me as well as with already 190 credits (including graduate work) it will take a miracle to break 3.0. I calculated with an additional 50 credits I'll have a 2.8. But honestly, post-bacc work is separately calculated and it does matter. If schools are going by GPA cutoffs I don't want to go there anyway because they aren't looking at the person, they want numbers to improve their score. :cool:

OP
L

LooKing4Ward

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2005
Status
yeah, it's also giving me hard time of moving forward, going for a post-bac and/or smp. i think what's the point. i just need to look at plan b more (OD, master/research) before i move forward.

stookie

Slick Nasty
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2005
Status
Medical Student
Should I take post bacc classes to raise my GPA or should I go for a SMP? My GPA is 2.86 and almost all of my pre med classes are complete. After I graduate in May I will take physics 1 and 2 and english during the summer to finish my requirements. Should I continue taking classes or get and SMP?

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
Wild west of Mistytown
Status
I would suggest a post-bacc program or more classes. There are no post-baccs near me so I'm just doing extra classes and will be goign for a 2nd degree in Biochem (1st degree is Economics). My plan with my advisor is to boost my science GPA high enough (I also have an MBA) then apply.

maishaldan

80's *****
15+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2004
Cali, baby
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
LooKing4Ward said:
yeah, it's also giving me hard time of moving forward, going for a post-bac and/or smp. i think what's the point. i just need to look at plan b more (OD, master/research) before i move forward.

Have you considered Osteopathic schools? They seem to take the "whole applicant" into consideration, experiences, grade improvement, etc; as opposed to GPA and MCAT. Now for my experience, my undergrad sci GPA was 2.55; cumulative: 2.81. So I went post-bacc where there was an in-house medschool http://www.lecom.edu/lecom/application/post-bac.asp Classes taught by the medschool faculty, same notes, test questions, etc., just less material in the same time. At the end of the year, I got a 4.0, and could've gone to LECOM if I'd applied. The professors were familiar with my work, after all. I'm currently applying to west coast schools now 'cause I got family out here that I don't wanna leave for 2 years of pre-clinical.

Bottom Line: Just don't think: "What's the point?", it CAN be done, do well in classes now and you ought to get interviews. JUST DON'T GIVE UP I won't suggest the route, 'cause I'm biased towards post-bacc programs w/in-house medschools. Hey, it was highly successful w/my class and will be w/myself.

If you or anyone foolish enough to read this has any questions, don't hesitate to shoot me a PM. I'll respond as soon as I can, but unfortunately, I now join the ranks of the employed :thumbdown:

-Bert