1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

VERY LOW MCAT SCORE - PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by medical22, Jun 17, 2002.

1. medical22

medical22 Senior Member

I took the MCAT for the second time this year (in April). I took it for the first time last August and did very very poorly. I got my scores today and am very disappointed again. Although my score went up a total of 4 points all together, it is still very low. I have a high GPA (3.8), and volunteer expriences, some research experience and lots of other work experience so I feel that the MCAT is the only obstacle. What is the lowest score that any admission committee will accept?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PreMedAdAG

PreMedAdAG I am so smart. S-M-R-T :)

Resident [Any Field]
    well unfortunately there is no SET score of what admissions commiitees whill accept. You need to gauge your own scores and EC's. If you think you can't improve on the MCAT, you shouldn't take it again, rather spend time improving other aspects of your application and maybe more importantly , have a DAMN good reason as to why you struggled with the MCAT. What exactly did you get?

4. bruinkid

bruinkid Senior Member

medical22-
    how bad is bad? just so you know, i can sympathize with you because i also had a 3.8 gpa and a quite low mcat, but i pulled it up to a decent score after 3 tries.

5. Big_Poppa DDS

Big_Poppa DDS Senior Member

i bet he got a 22

6. medical22

medical22 Senior Member

Actually it's a 21 O. Do I stand a chance anywhere?

7. RT

RT Rt

It would be good if you prepare for it again and only take it once you've obtained your desired scores.

If you want it bad enough, work for it hard enough, and have faith strong enough, you will be able to achieve it.

RT

8. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by medical22:
    <strong>Actually it's a 21 O. Do I stand a chance anywhere?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not really... the only M.D. schools in the continental US I can think of that might accept MCAT scores that low are Howard (average MCAT: 7.9V 8.1B 7.6), Meharry (average MCAT: 7.7V 7.2P 7.8B)... you could also try schools in Puerto Rico and the Carribean, and maybe some of the lesser D.O. schools. Even at these schools you'd have to try pretty hard. If you really couldn't be happy doing anything else with your life... you should probably retake again. :(

Good luck

9. medical22

medical22 Senior Member

I will retake it next April if I have to. But I think I should try a few schools this time around. I told you about my story last year. My GPA is high, I have extracurriculars, research experience, good LORs. What do you think?

10. medical22

medical22 Senior Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by medical22:
    <strong>I will retake it next April if I have to. But I think I should try a few schools this time around. My GPA is high, I have extracurriculars, research experience, good LORs. What do you think?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

11. bruinkid

bruinkid Senior Member

medical22-
    with a 21o, you basically have no chance unless you are a minority. You must retake the mcat! If I were you, I would not waste money turning in amcas.