Very low MCAT, solid ECs and avg GPA...thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bearcats1189

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone - My MCAT scores are an eyesore: 20N (Sep 2010), 21Q (Aug 2011), 23 (received two days ago; May 2013). MD is definitely out, but I am still hopeful for DO. My other stats:

3.5 MS in Biology GPA
3.62 cGPA for undergrad
...3.4 sGPA
Solid LORs (One from a DO, too)

Lots of clinical exposure and experience - I worked in a Level 1 ER as a clinical researcher for 15 months (20-25 hrs/week). I have lab research experience (1 year total), teaching experience (1 year tutoring and 10 months as an Adjunct Prof), and lots of volunteering (ER, teaching assistant, Habitat for Humanity). I have other work experience/"real world" exposure too, as I have taken a few years off prior to applying to medical school.

Bottom line - I know my scores are crummy, but I have seen a lot of posts indicative that I am not entirely out of luck yet. Any thoughts?

I appreciate your honesty and realistic views on my situation. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You would not get an interview at my school, but your best chances will be at the newest DO programs. Suggest also that you don't do any more MCAT re-takes. It looks like you've hit your plateau, unless you're an ESL and VR is weighing you down.

Hey everyone - My MCAT scores are an eyesore: 20N (Sep 2010), 21Q (Aug 2011), 23 (received two days ago; May 2013). MD is definitely out, but I am still hopeful for DO. My other stats:

3.5 MS in Biology GPA
3.62 cGPA for undergrad
...3.4 sGPA

Lots of clinical exposure and experience - I worked in a Level 1 ER as a clinical researcher for 15 months (20-25 hrs/week). I have lab research experience (1 year total), teaching experience (1 year tutoring and 10 months as an Adjunct Prof), and lots of volunteering (ER, teaching assistant, Habitat for Humanity). I have other work experience/"real world" exposure too, as I have taken a few years off prior to applying to medical school.

Bottom line - I know my scores are crummy, but I have seen a lot of posts indicative that I am not entirely out of luck yet. Any thoughts?

Hi Goro - thanks for the prompt reply. This test has been a thorn in my side for too long, but I may take another year and retake later (making my first score become expired). Would you advise against this as well?

VR absolutely rocked me, despite performing fairly well on my practice exams. My other scores were solid and where they need to be, however. Any word on schools that take the "best section scores" between multiple tests? I have come across this info in a few older threads, but have been unable to find anything relatively new and relevant to now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't know all the permutations as to which school takes what...you can probably find it out in this forum.

Suggest that if you're going to re-take MCAT, try a prep course (if you haven't done so). People here seem to do well with ExamKrackers.

I'd also try submitting this year and see how the cycle goes. You can definitely ask for feedback from Admissions Deans as to whether you'd competetive at their schools.

Hi Goro - thanks for the prompt reply. This test has been a thorn in my side for too long, but I may take another year and retake later (making my first score become expired). Would you advise against this as well?

VR absolutely rocked me, despite performing fairly well on my practice exams. My other scores were solid and where they need to be, however. Any word on schools that take the "best section scores" between multiple tests? I have come across this info in a few older threads, but have been unable to find anything relatively new and relevant to now.

Taking the test 4X looks pretty bad. But realistically, I may not have much of a choice. Like I said, the first score will expire if I do end up waiting and taking it again next year. Would adcoms still look at it and take it into account in my apps?

Taking the test 4X looks pretty bad. But realistically, I may not have much of a choice. Like I said, the first score will expire if I do end up waiting and taking it again next year. Would adcoms still look at it and take it into account in my apps?
Your scores do not vaporize. They are part of your permanent record and will always appear on your AMCAS application. I still see MCAT scores from decades ago.

3.6/3.4/23 is good enough to get in somewhere. apply broadly and be optomistic

3.5 MS in Biology GPA
3.62 cGPA for undergrad
...3.4 sGPA

you have a chance, apply to the DOs see what happens. Otherwise to be perfectly honest with those MCAT scores, try to think of another career path if you do not get accepted once you apply.

I would definitely avoid taking the MCAT again. One of the new schools or LMU will take you without hesitation due to the high GPA.

This is news to me, too. My GPAs are on par with a lot of schools, from what I've seen, but since my tests scores are so low I would think that would also be taken into consideration...