Very Low SGPA Advice Needed ASAP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eddie777

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non traditional premed student who is a minority, disabled, and 40 years old. I am doing my post bacc andbecause of a very bad semester, due to personal family problems, I got a very low sgpa of 2.060 and I am currently trying to bring it up by recomping these courses again. I still need to take orgo 1, orgo 2, and recomp physics 2 lecture before I can apply to medical school and take the MCAT. I am just taking the minimum science requirements to get into medical school. I feel because of my unique background I still might have a chance of getting into medical school. Should I continure down this road or should I consider another career in the medical field like dentistry, DO, PA, nursing, or etc. ? Should I just drop this all together and focus on a non medical career path? I really want to become a doctor. What would you guys advice me to do?

Members don't see this ad.

Op I don't think anyone but yourself is really qualified to tell you if you should pursue medicine or not. You must deeply examine why you chose this journey and assess if you have the will to continue despite setbacks because life won't get any easier once you're a med student. Nonetheless IMO I think if you ABSOLUTELY want to be a doctor than DO is probably the best move for your situation. If you can show improvement in your GPA and post a decent MCAT you should have a decent shot. Good Luck :)