VERY LOW STATS (504 MCAT, 3.5 GPA), strong ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctordoctor2750

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm wondering if I could have some help making a list as DO Explore and MSAR are confusing me a little. Let me know if you have any thoughts, I'm so excited to finish the medical school applications!
  • Upward trend
  • sGPA: 3.1 (took extremely tough microbiology courses! ah!)
  • cGPA: 3.51
  • MCAT: 504 - Definitely way lower than I had planned, I think the stress of COVID impacted me and unfortunately tapered off my studies the final weeks. No excuses, I know it's low!
  • Strong ECs: I won a prestigious international fellowship, and have co-founded a successful global health non-profit.
  • Clinical exposure: lots of exposure in field I want to work in (pediatrics), shadowing pretty prominent doctor names
  • Really strong PS
  • LOR from doctors/advisors, very strong
  • ORM from the northeast
I really want to be a primary care pediatrician and I have had a lot of hours in pediatrics, so DO schools seem like a good fit.

Where should I add to my list for DO schools? Should I even attempt with MD schools? So far I have:

DO List so far:
  • PCOM (i would LOVE to go here, strong ties to Philly)
  • CCOM (another top choice)
  • Des Moines
  • Edward Via - carolinas
  • KUCOM
  • NYITCOM (also one of my tops)
  • Pacific Northwest
  • Rowan
  • Touro - NY
  • Touro - CA
  • Western U

MD List so far (I know these are huge reaches):
  • Wayne State
  • New York Medical College

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Where is your state of residence ? You could add these DO schools:
MU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
UNECOM
AZCOM
ACOM
LECOM (all schools)

Hello!

I'm wondering if I could have some help making a list as DO Explore and MSAR are confusing me a little. Let me know if you have any thoughts, I'm so excited to finish the medical school applications!
  • Upward trend
  • sGPA: 3.1 (took extremely tough microbiology courses! ah!)
  • cGPA: 3.51
  • MCAT: 504 - Definitely way lower than I had planned, I think the stress of COVID impacted me and unfortunately tapered off my studies the final weeks. No excuses, I know it's low!
  • Strong ECs: I won a prestigious international fellowship, and have co-founded a successful global health non-profit.
  • Clinical exposure: lots of exposure in field I want to work in (pediatrics), shadowing pretty prominent doctor names
  • Really strong PS
  • LOR from doctors/advisors, very strong
  • ORM from the northeast
I really want to be a primary care pediatrician and I have had a lot of hours in pediatrics, so DO schools seem like a good fit.

Where should I add to my list for DO schools? Should I even attempt with MD schools? So far I have:

DO List so far:
  • PCOM (i would LOVE to go here, strong ties to Philly)
  • CCOM (another top choice)
  • Des Moines
  • Edward Via - carolinas
  • KUCOM
  • NYITCOM (also one of my tops)
  • Pacific Northwest
  • Rowan
  • Touro - NY
  • Touro - CA
  • Western U

MD List so far (I know these are huge reaches):
  • Wayne State
  • New York Medical College
I just really think you're underplaying yourself. A 504 isn't a 520 but it's also doable for many schools. Go look at school ranges. Sure your stats aren't spectacular, but your ECs look extraordinary and very interesting. People with those types of ECs are usually the ones with the lower stats who end up at great schools. I say apply everywhere you're interested. You're going to make it past most stat screens, and then you can shine in your PS and with your ECs.

Reactions: 1 users