Very low undergrad GPA (2.84) , high SMP GPA (3.91), decent DAT (22) WAMC and school list help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefuldent7

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
WAMC

Date of submission: upcoming cycle (2022-2023 cycle)
Overall Undergrad GPA: 2.84
Undergrad Science GPA: 2.67
SMP GPA: 3.91
DAT score (include AA and all sections): (AA, BIO, GC, OC, PAT, QR, RC, TS) (22,21,22,22,22,20,26,22)
State of Residence: Washington

Undergrad Attended: University of Washington
Major: Biochemistry BA
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 70 General dentist, 30 orthodontist, more to come
Volunteering Experience: 50 Green Seattle Partnership, 50 Dental Free Clinic
Employment: Host/Cashier at restaurants not really relevant. CNA at a nursing home, 300 hours
Research: Undergraduate research in Bioengineering/Chemical engineering. 300 hours
Other Extracurriculars: University Wind Ensemble 2 years
LOR type and strength: Masters program director (Strong), Biochemistry (Strong), Dentist (Average)
School list:
University of Washington
OHSU (I live on the border of WA and OR)
Western U (California)
UOP
LSU (I'm in a masters program in New Orleans and have been in contact with the associate dean of LSU dental)
USC
Tufts
Rutgers
NYU
Midwestern (Both IL and AZ)
University of Alabama
Nova
LECOM
Touro
Temple

I'm mainly just worried about my undergraduate GPA since it was truly terrible, but after my first semester of grad school complete now I feel like I have shown that I will be able to handle med-school level curriculum. During my gap year I will be looking for a full time job in research related to microbiology since that is what my masters is. Hoping to get any advice on my school list and any tips to improve my application for this coming cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn’t apply to NYU or MWU if you are planning to pay with loans.

Other than that, app looks pretty well rounded could increase volunteer hours as you plan to.

Reactions: 1 user
I would lean on track record with your SMP. Was there someone who successfully got in with a similar undergrad GPA with your SMP performance? Only your program director knows that answer (or should). Otherwise you will need to find out by networking with the schools on your list. I certainly think you have a shot with the schools closest to you but one doesn't always know...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would lean on track record with your SMP. Was there someone who successfully got in with a similar undergrad GPA with your SMP performance? Only your program director knows that answer (or should). Otherwise you will need to find out by networking with the schools on your list. I certainly think you have a shot with the schools closest to you but one doesn't always know...
Accepted last month, thank you for your replies!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users