Very Low Verbal Score - Philly Area?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hazlenut

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I was just wondering if anyone received an extremely low verbal score (under 5), and took the MCAT in Philadelphia (particularly the center city location)? Some friends of mine took their test there on April 16th and on their practice exams they were all scoring pretty well in the verbal section and somehow all of them received scores under 5.....which I think is really weird.

Anyway, they've already contacted AAMC but I just wanted to know if anyone else is in the same boat.

Thanks,

Hazlenut

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm I scored an 8 and never scored below a 9, was hitting 10s regularly. I took April 16 in Allentown. Probably me, not them, but its odd.

i live in delaware and took the april 12 exam. i got a 6...i always scored 9-11. what 'series' test did you have (its on mcat thx). i had series 35. anyway please tell me they made a mistake...
i have already written an email to aamc about it.

I had series 35 also...I scored 10-11 on 8 different practice tests and received an 8 on the April 12th mcat.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think we should all complain. who knows it couldve been a glitch? 5 and below when normally scoring 9-11s is certainly fishy. email aamc on the thx website.

I just wrote

Has anyone else that has taken series 35 in the Delaware/philadelphia region report an abnormally low verbal score? My verbal score is significantly lower than my practice tests and I am just making sure there was not anything wrong with the grading/scaling/ or computer glitch?

Maybe we can call too

i'm from the philly area and took it in harrisburg. some jerk kept coughing his lungs out behind me making it impossible to concentrate. I thought i did well in the sciences, but thought i bombed the verbal. My consistent was around 8-9, more towards the 9s. I felt so terrible after the 4/12 exam, but ended out with an 11 which is a high for me. I had series 35. I'd def say that the 4/12 verbal was the hardest i've ever seen, but assumed the curve was pretty generous considering everyone felt the same.

I was consistently scoring 9-10 on practice verbal tests and ended up with a 7. I had series 35. What should we do? For those that contacted the AAMC what do you say? :confused:

Everyone had 35 on 4/12, and 36 on 4/16... the series number goes in order like that, so it means nothing :thumbup:

I am in the same boat although I am in Austin. The lowest I ever got was a 9 on verbal and I got a 7. It was not a big deal when taking it so this totally came out of nowhere. I am going absolutely nuts and plan to fight, this makes no sense at all. This is my strongest section and I bomb it? Time to get ready to complain!

Members don't see this ad :)
i live in delaware and took the april 12 exam. i got a 6...i always scored 9-11. what 'series' test did you have (its on mcat thx). i had series 35. anyway please tell me they made a mistake...
i have already written an email to aamc about it.

that's weird.... I had series 35 for april 12, and i got a 6 as well.... AND i usually score 8-10. But then again, i might have bombed it straight up.

p.s. I took it in Ca.

Hmm I normally get 8-10 (usually 9) and scored a 6. I took it on April 16th...

i doubt it is anything but us screwing up.

I need everyone here to be serious for a moment, do you think the mess ups were merely due to a mistake on your part while taking the exam or is this actually a mistake by aamc.

Be realistic please because I need other people in my shoes if it is so we can bring this up to them.

Why would we be anything but serious? I almost always got a 9 on all 8 aamc practice tests...the real test I got a 6.

I need everyone here to be serious for a moment, do you think the mess ups were merely due to a mistake on your part while taking the exam or is this actually a mistake by aamc.

Be realistic please because I need other people in my shoes if it is so we can bring this up to them.

If you check out the previous post-MCAT threads, you'll see that this comes up every time. I only remember one time when it was an AAMC error, but that one was pretty obvious because the questions didn't match the passage. I don't think that your verbal score is an AAMC mistake, but you can always ask for a rescore. I think it's mostly just the nature of the beast. Verbal is very tricky and most of the test-prep materials out there don't really simulate it accurately. If you retake the MCAT in a month, you can still apply during this cycle and your VR score can only go up.

I also took the April 16 exam and scored very low on the verbal...got a 6 when i usually scored 9-11 on the practice tests. If I ask for a regrade...is there an additional fee..and could it hurt me in anyway???

sometimes, i think, if your MCAT series is easier than the other series, they actually curve you down. some people do get screwed that way but oh well

I also took the April 16 exam and scored very low on the verbal...got a 6 when i usually scored 9-11 on the practice tests. If I ask for a regrade...is there an additional fee..and could it hurt me in anyway???

with the written i can understand misbubbled and whatnot, but with the cbt, what you put down should translate to what you got.

Hey guys...

For those of you who had a tough experience with verbal and are planning to retake the MCAT how about we get together to fight this beast. In other words lets study together. :D

We might do well to help each other through... let me know so we can plan it.

- Irina :)

Yeah i think what Irina suggested is a good idea. We should all study the verbal together and conquer it together. We can all do this. I am so scared of verbal it almost makes me procrastinate when studying. we need each other to motivate one another. thanks. slyloxy