Very Nervous on my chances.. =[

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheKingofClay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted =X

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
take a breath...relax...your stats are good and I dont see you having difficulty being accepted at USC or miami...you should be fine

Members don't see this ad :)
Stats-wise your chances would have been pretty good, but your ECs, other than the superb research, are on the thin side. It would be a good idea to aggresively beef them up through the application cycle, letting schools know about pertinent activities and degree of involvement via update letters to help sway them toward a positive decision on your file.

How many interview offers have you received so far?

Wasn't it possible to get LORs from two of your past science profs and one nonscience?

Stats-wise your chances would have been pretty good, but your ECs, other than the superb research, are on the thin side. It would be a good idea to aggresively beef them up through the application cycle, letting schools know about pertinent activities and degree of involvement via update letters to help sway them toward a positive decision on your file.

How many interview offers have you received so far?

Wasn't it possible to get LORs from two of your past science profs and one nonscience?

I was able to get Reproduction (a physiology course) professor and my astronomy professor to write me LORs (both professors were from classes I took 2 years ago so therefore im slightly concerned of how well they remember me, as I don't come into their office that often once I was finished with class -- kept in touch at times with an email. I was pretty close with them during the 10 weeks I was taught under them, but obviously, afterward it much harder to maintain the same relationship.

But for non-science I really did not have a solid option and was recommended by others to not have a prof write a LOR if you arent confident at all that it will be above average. So I used my 2 science research professors and my work employer as my last LORs.

I am not sure how these LORs work and I'm slightly nervous.

I have received interviews at NYMC and Tulane thus far. I am volunteering in a hospital throughout this year as well, so hopefully that can bolster my previous experiences working in the ER department while at UCSB and also working at the Red Cross and a general manager/player of a basketball team in a local league (wonder if I should include that?)

How do I approach writing the adcomm updates of what I am doing?

PS sorry for late reply, been busy with working volunteering and secondaries received in late Aug.

I was able to get Reproduction (a physiology course) professor and my astronomy professor to write me LORs (both professors were from classes I took 2 years ago so therefore im slightly concerned of how well they remember me, as I don't come into their office that often once I was finished with class -- kept in touch at times with an email. I was pretty close with them during the 10 weeks I was taught under them, but obviously, afterward it much harder to maintain the same relationship.

But for non-science I really did not have a solid option and was recommended by others to not have a prof write a LOR if you arent confident at all that it will be above average. So I used my 2 science research professors and my work employer as my last LORs.

I am not sure how these LORs work and I'm slightly nervous.

I have received interviews at NYMC and Tulane thus far. I am volunteering in a hospital throughout this year as well, so hopefully that can bolster my previous experiences working in the ER department while at UCSB and also working at the Red Cross and a general manager/player of a basketball team in a local league (wonder if I should include that?)

How do I approach writing the adcomm updates of what I am doing?

PS sorry for late reply, been busy with working volunteering and secondaries received in late Aug.

Since you submitted more than three months ago, I'd plan on an update letter now, and again after the international medical trip. Address this to the Admissions Committee and send it by snail-mail or email. Start with thank you for any reconsideration of your file (if not yet offfered an interview), say you'd like them to know about recent pertinent activities that may effect your application. Give details of added hours in your ECs, anything new and important, and certainly include your leadership of the B-Ball team as I'm sure that activity takes a bit of your time. Close with how you hope to hear from them soon (if not yet offered an interview). If you did get an interview, don't say that. The whole letter should not exceed one page.

Last edited:
catalysitic... just wanted to say thats great advice... thanks from an onlooker!