MD Very non-traditional student.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschoolforme

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
INTRO:
I want to practice medicine and work on it from a public health perspective. I don't care about the money--I just have a passion for practicing (very interested in either internal or primary), and epidemiological research. I know this because after working for 3 years at CDC as a policy and comms employee, I want to be the one doing the things I research and compile every day. I've got a strong portfolio for getting into at least a few top med schools. But the logistics look to be complicated.

BACKGROUND:
BA from respected but not elite private school, went on full tuition scholarship, PPE (politics philosophy economics), 3.7 GPA. I took CHM I and BIO I as part of my liberal arts requirements and got 3s. I didn't really try at them, but I do have a passion for science that I really discovered in grad school.

GRE: 95th percentile reasoning, 80th math. Probably need to take it again if post-baccs want it b/c of the 5 year limit

MPH from Columbia, went on full tuition scholarship, 3.8 GPA, great academic letters of rec. from 3 professors, two of them celebrities in the medical world

3 years work experience at CDC in different areas of health (ID, chronic, policy) with glowing letters from 3 very high level supervisors (directors of large divisions and offices).

QUESTIONS:
1. I need pre-req classes. I really don't want to quit my job while I do them. My wife is starting her PhD in the Fall and her income is dropping from 60k to 30-40 or less. I currently make about 80k. What do I do?

2. I can get around the traditional undergrad letter writing thing with my references, right? I'm assuming I'll get a few references in post-bacc if I need to, but my background should make it obvious I have a passion for the field and I can handle workloads.

3. What matters more, putting off school for a few years and saving in the meantime for tuition, or starting now (I'm 27) so I can keep up with the young folk?

4. What kind of additional experience will I need? I probably need to help out in clinical settings I'm assuming, which I can get hooked up with at work. But anything else?

Thanks everyone! Sorry for the long post.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
if you don't have kids, it would be wise to take the prereqs in as short of a time as possible. Your wife may make 30-40k but that is ample for someone to sustain living (not including petty cost from extravagant living). You have good stats so far but seeing that the list of prereqs for MCAT (not just medical school) is extensive and you want to do well, you can't afford to be working full time. You make 80k/year and I would gather you have saved a bit on the side. If you want to end up in medical school before you hit 30, that would be good. If you want to wait for your wife to finish the phd and then apply to medical school so you two don't have to maintain long-term relationship, you are looking at 4-5 years of waiting which is a good amt of time for you to be able to take all prereqs 1 at a time while working full time.
Priority:
1. Prereqs
1,2. Clinical volunteering (seek a hospital nearby; academic ones are more prone to allowing volunteers)
3. Take the MCAT the fall or early spring before the summer you apply to medical school so you don't have to rush.

Answers to Qs:
1. Consider the last sentence in my first paragraph
2. Your LORs will be unique and really good to have if you don't quit your job. Try taking some of your prereqs from the same professor to have continuity. For example, if Proffessor A teaches Chem I and II, take him for both classes if you end up doing well in Chem I. Go to office hours or meet after class with professor if you can to maintain relationship. Some schools require science faculty to be the one who taught you and so if that professor can speak for a candidate they know for 2 semesters, that would probably be great.
3. That is up to you. Personally, I have ignored future job offers because they want me to extend my obligations to 2-3 years which I see as atleast 1 year of doctor salary and experience gone to waste. I know it won't make that big of a difference but lately my age is getting to me and I really want to put in the best of my academic years into use at a medical school rather than job training. Your situation is unique because you are married but none too different since the two of you do not have kids (right?) yet. However, I think as nontrad, it is really important to move forward when the storm is in the low-down. What I mean is, we have life happening all around us. We are no longer students but have real obligations to our significant others (or would-be). So if you and your partner want to begin your medical school chapter after the wife gets done with PhD and you would probably be the happiest then, then do that. You don't have a crappy job...heck I probably would wait for my significant other too while I enjoy my 20s doing a respectable job. Don't bolt out of a great opportunity that you could talk about at interview. If you leave your employment, you may come across more problems after a semester realizing it hard to obtain another job because you're pushing the pipeline dream to medical school.
4. Just follow my priority list. You should start volunteering as soon as you can because even if you do 2 hours per week, over time, that can come out to be of decent value. Shadowing is tough as a full time employee (I know cause it conflicts with schedule) but I suggest volunteering at a hospital first, get to know the physicians there, and then find a time where you can tell them you want to shadow. It is easier (but still difficult) if you do it at a hospital because physicians work in shifts which can accommodate your schedule, whether that is in the afternoon, night, or morning, or weekday/weekend.

Last edited: