Very Non-traditional student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

positivetwo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am 41 year old "extremely" non-traditional pre-med student. I am so glad to find this resourceful forum.
I am planning to apply for University of Colorado School of Medicine AND Rocky Vista Osteopathic School of Medicine in 2018. I prefer to stay in Colorado while I will be in medical school since my extended family lives here. My cGPA is 3.63 and sGPA is 3.72. I have not yet taken the MCAT. I am planning to retake most of my science classes since they were taken for more than 10 years ago. I have a Bachelor's and Master's degree in Nursing. My graduate school GPA is 3.92 (probably not a factor for the medical school). I have over 10 years of RN experience, and 1 year of Nurse Practitioner experience. I have realized that my clinical knowledge as an NP is somehow limited, and I would love to learn more about medicine to help my patients. Most of my clinical background has been on the military as an active duty officer and VA medical systems. I hope my clinical experience could be a positive factor when applying for the medical schools. My primary and only interest is working at a military facility after graduation. Therefore, I am interested in the HPSP program, and internal medicine residency at a military medical facility.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Do you have a question, or were you just wanting to introduce yourself? FWIW, welcome to SDN, and no, you're not particularly unusual as a nontrad story. You'll hardly be the first nurse, the first person in their 40s, or the first nurse in their 40s, to apply to med school. Depending on which service you want to enter, however, you may need to rethink your HPSP plans, as they have age limits.

Reactions: 1 users
For the Navy, at least, you must be no older than 42 upon completion of medical school. I imagine the other services are the same. The Navy offers age waivers, but their availability is dependent on manning. Not sure how easy they are to get right now. You'd have to ask a recruiter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many thanks for your service to our country!

Suggest adding TUNCOM, U AZ, SOMA, AZCOM, RVU-UT and DMU to your list. You can't guarantee being accepted into only two schools. What if you hate them both after interviews? Or get rejected from both???

Hello. I am 41 year old "extremely" non-traditional pre-med student. I am so glad to find this resourceful forum.
I am planning to apply for University of Colorado School of Medicine AND Rocky Vista Osteopathic School of Medicine in 2018. I prefer to stay in Colorado while I will be in medical school since my extended family lives here. My cGPA is 3.63 and sGPA is 3.72. I have not yet taken the MCAT. I am planning to retake most of my science classes since they were taken for more than 10 years ago. I have a Bachelor's and Master's degree in Nursing. My graduate school GPA is 3.92 (probably not a factor for the medical school). I have over 10 years of RN experience, and 1 year of Nurse Practitioner experience. I have realized that my clinical knowledge as an NP is somehow limited, and I would love to learn more about medicine to help my patients. Most of my clinical background has been on the military as an active duty officer and VA medical systems. I hope my clinical experience could be a positive factor when applying for the medical schools. My primary and only interest is working at a military facility after graduation. Therefore, I am interested in the HPSP program, and internal medicine residency at a military medical facility.

Thanks.

Reactions: 1 users
Therefore, I am interested in the HPSP program, and internal medicine residency at a military medical facility.

To apply HPSP, you will need to go through an application process as if you were a brand new military recruit. This will include DODMERB. If you have ever had a profile or documentation of any negative permanent health concern, even osteoarthritis, you will be denied. If this happens, the national guard also has a program that might help you. You would have to go through the same DODMERB process, but the unit can request a waiver. This is not something I've found active duty will (can?) do.

Another option would be the VA. They have a medical school loan repayment program also.

Hello. I was told that the HPSP age limit waiver could be applied to prior active duty applicants. I have 10 years of prior active duty Army service and 5 years of active reserves service. I will be open to any branches of unifromed services, including the USPHS if they offer the HPSP.
I am aware of the rank reduction if i get accepted the HPSP program. It will be from O4 to O1 for me during the medical school attendance. Then appointed to O3 right after graduation.

For the Navy, at least, you must be no older than 42 upon completion of medical school. I imagine the other services are the same. The Navy offers age waivers, but their availability is dependent on manning. Not sure how easy they are to get right now. You'd have to ask a recruiter.

Last edited:
Hello. I was told that the HPSP age limit waver could be applied to prior active duty applicants. I have 10 years of prior active duty Army service and 5 years of active reserves service. I will be open to any branches of unifromed services, including the USPHS if they offer the HPSP.

Yes, they tend to give waivers to prior service. Just gotta submit one.

Many thanks for your service to our country!

Suggest adding TUNCOM, U AZ, SOMA, AZCOM, RVU-UT and DMU to your list. You can't guarantee being accepted into only two schools. What if you hate them both after interviews? Or get rejected from both???
Agreed. It would be a mistake to apply to only 2 (or even less than 10-12) schools. Broaden your net; if you want medical school you had best prepare for the possibility of one geographic relocation (and possibly more depending on your med school performance and your goals for residency)

I speak with experience; I was a re-applicant who learned this lesson the hard way

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
You can work in an MTF or VA without the hassle of going through HSPC. My career plan is to work in the VA or MTF as well. If it's a $$ issue, I'm pretty sure the VA has a program where they will offset your student loans for X years of service. But yeah, last time I checked you wouldn't make it back to 04 until you completed your residency.

I'm what I call a SUPER nontrad premed too, so you're in great company!:)

As for military age waivers and based on my active duty military connections, they can offer them with NO age limit depending on how physically fit you are and the military's needs. This is actually something I'm seriously considering myself even though I've already been told that I could never pull a military retirement.;)