Very short Experience Descriptions... A bad thing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dtepper

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My experience descriptions (5 of them total) were 2 or 3 listed items for 4 of them... The volunteering at the hospital was 10 lines.. Is 2 to 3 lines too short and to the point? Also, my ECs weren't that great anyway, except for the HUP volunteering, so maybe that is partly why they were short. I'm starting to worry about the way I approached my ECs... eek! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

My experience descriptions (5 of them total) were 2 or 3 listed items for 4 of them... The volunteering at the hospital was 10 lines.. Is 2 to 3 lines too short and to the point? Also, my ECs weren't that great anyway, except for the HUP volunteering, so maybe that is partly why they were short. I'm starting to worry about the way I approached my ECs... eek! Thanks.

Don't worry about -- especially since you've already submitted.

Succinct is alright. Be prepared for questions about them at the interview, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
The longer they are the harder the Adcoms drill you.

mine were also really short. i did bullet points and had about 2 mayyybeee 3 for each with each about a sentence.

******* question.....but, are bullet points better than sentences? :confused:

I have all of my activities listed in sentence form.

******* question.....but, are bullet points better than sentences? :confused:

I have all of my activities listed in sentence form.

I don't think one is better than the other -- just two different approaches.

Also, it seems like the preference between different adcoms will vary.

I've always been under the impression that the descriptions allowed 1325 characters so that people with very involved, technical research experience(s) could adequately describe what they did. My descriptions were roughly a short (~5 sentence) paragraph in length. As long as you communicate the key points of the activity, you're fine.

Well, if it makes you feel better, mine were super long and I regret it now. :p I feel like it's better to keep them short so whoever reads your app is rather happy (and you'll have more to say at interviews)...

Well, if it makes you feel better, mine were super long and I regret it now. :p I feel like it's better to keep them short so whoever reads your app is rather happy (and you'll have more to say at interviews)...

To add to this, a lot of secondaries will ask you to expand on your ECs. Hard to do that when you've poured your heart into writing them in on AMCAS as I have.:laugh:

No, it's baseless speculation. Don't worry yourself and overthink it, just write what you feel is comfortable.

I know, I know....there was a hint of sarcasm in my question to that rather funny response metal dude gave:laugh:

I disagree that many secondaries ask you to elaborate on your ECs. The most I have seen or heard of is to talk about 1 or 2 at most that had an impact on you. I think if you only do bullet points and many of the secondaries don´t give you an opportunity for further elaboration, something that was really significant to you will not be seen as such. Just my opinion...

I did about 5 sentences for all of mine and don't regret that one at all :)

okay cool... Thanks everyone. I was a little apprehensive about it at first, but now it seems ok. I guess if I could edit it, I might add a sentence each about what I got out of it, but o well, hopefully, I'll explain that at interviews! :love:

OP, from looking at your MDapps, your EC's look fine. It looks like you did a little bit of everything and that you probably have a good idea of what it takes to be a doctor. Your MCAT and GPA are pretty good too. I give you points for not playing the game and doing a bunch of junk just to pad your resume.

If any of your ECs are through some selective program, definitely put that info down too. For instance, the number of applicants applied and got in.