Very short medical leave of absence.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

urbanclassic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I took a medical leave of absence before the beginning of my third year of medical school for an elective surgery. I had the LOA at the the same time as my elective period, so it has not affected my graduation timeline at all and I'll actually be done with all my required courses a few months before graduation. Do I need to document that in my ERAS as having my medical education interrupted/extended?

Also, do you think programs will look at this negatively?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think so. They really only care if your training has been extended.

I would agree with the caveat that if your transcript is going to note a leave of absence, then your ERAS application should as well for the sake of consistency. It wouldn't need to be any more detailed than what you mentioned above (recovery from surgery after MS2--did not affect graduation).

I would agree with the caveat that if your transcript is going to note a leave of absence, then your ERAS application should as well for the sake of consistency. It wouldn't need to be any more detailed than what you mentioned above (recovery from surgery after MS2--did not affect graduation).
Yes my MSPE says I took a LOA. So I'll just report it as an interruption. Thanks everyone!