Very short term locums work for young PCP and NP wife.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaggybill

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just looking at future possibilities here, but upon graduating from residency, would a young PCP and his Family Nurse Practitioner wife who have no children yet and like to travel (private pilot as well) have enough opportunities doing 1-2 week long locums work to keep them busy? Not too picky about whether this is hospitalist/EM/UC/office work. I'm guessing 95% of locums jobs out there are pretty rural, and that's fine. Not looking for drama and excitement, just something to keep us busy, lets us fly, and pays the bills for a small plane and a modest house.

Members don't see this ad.

Just looking at future possibilities here, but upon graduating from residency, would a young PCP and his Family Nurse Practitioner wife who have no children yet and like to travel (private pilot as well) have enough opportunities doing 1-2 week long locums work to keep them busy? Not too picky about whether this is hospitalist/EM/UC/office work. I'm guessing 95% of locums jobs out there are pretty rural, and that's fine. Not looking for drama and excitement, just something to keep us busy, lets us fly, and pays the bills for a small plane and a modest house.
Most locums jobs are a 3-6 month commitment. Some are week on/week off. Some are vacation coverage. There are tons of locums companies out there and tons of jobs to take. With that said, no hospital is going to do 6 months of credentialing (Oregon is horrendous for this) if you only plan to work for 2 weeks.

Call some of the major players: Delta, Comphealth, locumtenens.com, medstar, etc. Just google locums and talk to a placement agent. Just remember that if you are not working on an Indian reservation you will need to be licensed in that state, and each different state you go to.

Look at my locums how to guide thread. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/the-locums-how-to-guide.1047570/

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user