very small chance do and no chance md! im screwed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oxytiger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks..here are my low stats...

degree: biochem

aamc stats... cgpa: 3.27 cbpm: 3.12

aoa stats...cpga: 3.27 cbpm:3.20

mcat: low 20's (going to retake and know i have to get up to 30+...this is basically the test that will determine my life :()

my gpa is pretty low i know...calc 2 and pchem killed my gpa...got C-'s in both courses...

extracurriculars: 400+ hours free tutoring for underrepresented kids, 100hrs hospital volunteer, 200+ hrs shadowing DO, 1.5 years working as a lab tech assistant in clinical blood bank lab at a prestigious hospital (it will be 10 months working here when interview period comes around).

what are my stinking chances for DO schools? ...i know i have a better chance wining the lotto than getting into MD schools at this point but is MD completely out of the pic (so much so that i should be crazy to think of applying to one or two schools)?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey folks..here are my low stats...

aamc stats... cgpa: 3.27 cbpm: 3.12

aoa stats...cpga: 3.27 cbpm:3.20

mcat: low 20's (going to retake and know i have to get up to 30+...this is basically the test that will determine my life :()

extracurriculars: 400+ hours free tutoring for underrepresented kids, 100hrs hospital volunteer, 200+ hrs shadowing DO, 1.5 years working as a tech assistant in clinical blood bank lab at a prestigious hospital (it will be 10 months working when interview period comes around).

what are my stinking chances for DO schools? ...i know i have a better chance wining the lotto than getting into MD schools at this point but is MD completely out of the pic?

With a low 20 MCAT yes MD is 100 % out of the question. You're going to have to enroll in a SMP or post-bacc program and score >32 on the MCAT if you want any chance for MD. For DO all you need is a retake and MCAT > 28.

With a low 20 MCAT yes MD is 100 % out of the question. You're going to have to enroll in a SMP or post-bacc program and score >32 on the MCAT if you want any chance for MD. For DO all you need is a retake and MCAT > 28.

yea i dont even know why i put down md....

hmmm my gpa seems too low...if im able to get 28+ what would the chances to get into western, ccom, dmu, pcom?

Members don't see this ad :)
yea i dont even know why i put down md....

hmmm my gpa seems too low...if im able to get 28+ what would the chances to get into western, ccom, dmu, pcom?

DMU has an average GPA of 3.6 I believe with MCAT score of 28 I think. So I would assume you would have to score a 30 to get in there. I can't talk about individual DO schools since I'm only aware of the MD route sorry. I can tell you that with a 28 you should get into A DO SCHOOL :thumbup:

You'd be below average on both GPA's and just average on the MCAT, so I'd say not looking good. I suggest you do a few retakes before applying and get at least 1 GPA to the average. I think the Touro campuses and LECOM would be good to target.

Any other circumstances we should know about? URM, Extensive research/volunteer, economic disadvantage, etc?

yikes....whats urm?

i did do undergrad research (microbio project) for 1 yr.

yikes....whats urm?

i did do undergrad research (microbio project) for 1 yr.
Under-represented minority.

How are the rest of your EC. I think the research is good for DO. Did you publish or do a poster presentation?

Under-represented minority.

How are the rest of your EC. I think the research is good for DO. Did you publish or do a poster presentation?

o definitely not...im actually an asian male :/

i did a poster...but im not quite sure if my lab partner published or not...bc he didn't graduate and had a chance to go further into the project.

research + whatever i said in my initial post. i did do a nuero outreach program to high schoolers. i also volunteered at churches but that probably doesn't count. yep im screwed :(

to asnwer your last post...i took out math out of the equation...its just pchem thats killing me. i have an increasing gpa trend especially my last 3 semesters (could have been for 3 years except pchem happened!).

I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO NOTE:
during my aamc practice tests i was averaging 33s (but then again this was "practice" and i did them on paper...not on the computer) . so this low mcat score really surprised me. i even scored 40 on one of the aamc practice tests and my lowest was a 26 (one of my beginning tests). so yea i have no words to explain my low mcat score. you guys must be thinking im making this up...the disparity between the scores is really unbelievable...and believe me when i first saw my score i really couldn't swallow the fact that it was that low compared to my practice tests. ii know i can do much much better than my low score (which might imply im not cut out to be a doctor). so im really projecting to get high 20's to low 30's..but then again the real mcat might make me nervous etc.....and i might screw up again. the reality is i got a score in the stinkin low 20's and just need to overcome it!

Last edited:

i did a poster...but im not quite sure if my lab partner published or not...bc he didn't graduate and had a chance to go further into the project.

research + whatever i said in my initial post. i did do a nuero outreach program to high schoolers. i also volunteered at churches but that probably doesn't count. yep im screwed :(

to asnwer your last post...i took out math out of the equation...its just pchem thats killing me. i have an increasing gpa trend especially my last 3 semesters (could have been for 3 years except pchem happened!).

during my aamc practice tests i was averaging 33s (but then again this was "practice" and i did them on paper...not on the computer) . so this low mcat score really surprised me. i even scored 40 on one of the aamc practice tests and my lowest was a 26 (one of my beginning tests). so yea i have no words to explain my low mcat score. you guys must be thinking im making this up...the disparity between the scores is really unbelievable...and believe me when i first saw my score i really couldn't swallow the fact that it was that low compared to my practice tests. ii know i can do much much better than my low score (which might imply im not cut out to be a doctor). so im really projecting to get high 20's to low 30's..but then again the real mcat might make me nervous etc.....and i might screw up again. the reality is i got a score in the stinkin low 20's and just need to overcome it!
I wouldn't go forward with the MCAT unless you have confidence that you'll score at least a 30. In your circumstances you need something to boost your credentials and make you more desirable to ADCOMs. Have you considered re-takes?

I wouldn't go forward with the MCAT unless you have confidence that you'll score at least a 30. In your circumstances you need something to boost your credentials and make you more desirable to ADCOMs. Have you considered re-takes?

im pretty sure i can hit 30's if i dont choke! suppose i get a 28-30...what are my chances then to get into DO schools? what else can i improve on besides my gpa to boost my chances?

and admissions don't give a hoot if you went to so unknown school, vs a state, vs a prestigious school right?

which classes should i retake? calc2 and pchem? i probably won't have time to retake them since im working full time.

im pretty sure i can hit 30's if i dont choke! suppose i get a 28-30...what are my chances then to get into DO schools? what else can i improve on besides my gpa to boost my chances?

and admissions don't give a hoot if you went to so unknown school, vs a state, vs a prestigious school right?

which classes should i retake? calc2 and pchem? i probably won't have time to retake them since im working full time.

If you get over a 30, I think you'll be OK for a DO school, even with your low ball GPA. Your EC's are actually typical of DO applicants, if not a little lacking. If you get under a 30, you're stretching it. I've seen applicants with a 3.3 get accepted to MSUCOM, it's just that their MCAT was 32+.

If you messed up on the MCAT, and are sure you can hit over 30, go for it. I don't see why I wouldn't. I was getting 31's consistently, and when I took the real thing I got a 26! Sometimes you just choke, or have a bad day. It's cool.

If you're going to retake (which will only help you for the DO route) for the love of God, do NOT retake a math course like Calc2. It's pointless, DO schools don't care about it. I'd retake a sociology class before a math class. Yes, retake Pchem or analytical if they aren't up to standard.:thumbup:

I find this very hard to believe.

27+ MCAT should get you a lot of interviews. After that its up to you.

You should be OK with 27+ mcat...I see in the underdog thread at the DO forum that many get acceptances with 3.10 c/sGPA and 27+ mcat. This give me some hope as well with my subpar GPAs.