Very UNBALANCED MCAT score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaribbeanBlue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a huge dilemma here.

My cGPA is a 3.6 and my sGPA is a 3.75.

I am not a URM and English is my first and only language.

My MCAT history: Voided first exam in sept 2011 because i was not seeing the verbal score I wanted. I read and tried again in Jan 2012: got a 27N (10/6/11). Decided to read and fulfill all Verbal practice I could find. I completed the EK 101 TWICE, TPRH verbal workbook, kaplan verbal workbook, all AAMC's and TPR FL's, and every practice passage online. I could only range between 6-8. A miracle 9 would appear here and there. No trends. Total Passages practiced: 300+ and over a year of studying.

Sept 2012 Exam: 31Q (14/6/11)... Just could not improve that verbal. I have no idea what to do at this point.

I won't bother putting EC's because they are probably just your typical ones. I have a lot of leadership, a year of research, good LORs, shadowing, traveled to developing countries to do clinics, etc etc etc.

Note: I am seriously considering the possibility of me having some sort of disorder. Never been suspected of having ADD, but I feel like when I read something, I almost need to ALWAYS read it 2-3 times to get more info out of it. With verbal passages, the best I could do in the allotted time was to get the main idea down and a couple of details but not much more. I feel like I need to reread questions over and over again.

I am seriously against retaking the exam, but if I have no other choice, I will do it next spring but I am pretty worried I may tank the sciences from their good scores (14 and 11). There is also the possibility I won't be able to raise the VR still.

What are my chances with just going ahead and applying with what I have? I am aware most MDs will screen me out, but will any DO's overlook a bad VR? I want to just add that I would gladly go to a DO school in the US.

Thank You.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

My MCAT history: Voided first exam in sept 2011 because i was not seeing the verbal score I wanted. I read and tried again in Jan 2012: got a 27N (10/6/11). Decided to read and fulfill all Verbal practice I could find. I completed the EK 101 TWICE, TPRH verbal workbook, kaplan verbal workbook, all AAMC's and TPR FL's, and every practice passage online. I could only range between 6-8. A miracle 9 would appear here and there. No trends. Total Passages practiced: 300+ and over a year of studying.

Sept 2012 Exam: 31Q (14/6/11)... Just could not improve that verbal. I have no idea what to do at this point.

I won't bother putting EC's because they are probably just your typical ones. I have a lot of leadership, a year of research, good LORs, shadowing, traveled to developing countries to do clinics, etc etc etc.

Note: I am seriously considering the possibility of me having some sort of disorder. Never been suspected of having ADD, but I feel like when I read something, I almost need to ALWAYS read it 2-3 times to get more info out of it. With verbal passages, the best I could do in the allotted time was to get the main idea down and a couple of details but not much more. I feel like I need to reread questions over and over again.

I am seriously against retaking the exam, but if I have no other choice, I will do it next spring but I am pretty worried I may tank the sciences from their good scores (14 and 11). There is also the possibility I won't be able to raise the VR still.

What are my chances with just going ahead and applying with what I have? I am aware most MDs will screen me out, but will any DO's overlook a bad VR?

Thank You.

DO schools have a very holistic approach towards applicants. Based on your strong GPA and the sciences they will most likely look past the 6 on the VR. With that being said I would say apply to MD state schools but don't expect much, you might get lucky. Retaking is not a bad idea if you can some how bring the VR to an 8 even if your sciences tank to 11 each you'll still hit the 30 magic mark and have a good shot at MD schools. Good luck!

DO schools have a very holistic approach towards applicants. Based on your strong GPA and the sciences they will most likely look past the 6 on the VR. With that being said I would say apply to MD state schools but don't expect much, you might get lucky. Retaking is not a bad idea if you can some how bring the VR to an 8 even if your sciences tank to 11 each you'll still hit the 30 magic mark and have a good shot at MD schools. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply! I really hope schools can look past that 6 and see my overall MCAT score and the rest of my application. I tried for a year to get that verbal up, but I am afraid I won't get it past a 6 again if I try again. I'm currently doing tons of research for schools that tell me they consider the overall score more than individual subsection scores.

I would gladly do DO schools like I said above, as I don't plan on doing neurosurgery, etc.

Any more responses would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply! I really hope schools can look past that 6 and see my overall MCAT score and the rest of my application. I tried for a year to get that verbal up, but I am afraid I won't get it past a 6 again if I try again. I'm currently doing tons of research for schools that tell me they consider the overall score more than individual subsection scores.

I would gladly do DO schools like I said above, as I don't plan on doing neurosurgery, etc.

Any more responses would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Even if you want to do Neurosurgery, DO schools have residencies for their graduates only in Neurosurgery.

You will have nearly zero difficulty making it into any Osteopathic program. I feel confident they will overlook that 6. The worst I've seen overlooked is a 5 in a science. Overlooking a 6 in verbal should be no problem

If I were you, I'd call MD schools about their cut off. I think even an MD school might take a chance with you if you meet their cutoff.

Even if you want to do Neurosurgery, DO schools have residencies for their graduates only in Neurosurgery.

You will have nearly zero difficulty making it into any Osteopathic program. I feel confident they will overlook that 6. The worst I've seen overlooked is a 5 in a science. Overlooking a 6 in verbal should be no problem

If I were you, I'd call MD schools about their cut off. I think even an MD school might take a chance with you if you meet their cutoff.

No US MD school will take a 6.

After looking through the MSAR book, I realize my chances at any MD are pretty much shot because of the 6 in VR.

I was very disappointed to see that DO schools were not included in the MSAR... Is there any source like the MSAR for DO schools so that I could compare?

After looking through the MSAR book, I realize my chances at any MD are pretty much shot because of the 6 in VR.

I was very disappointed to see that DO schools were not included in the MSAR... Is there any source like the MSAR for DO schools so that I could compare?
Not precisely what you would imagine. The College Information Book (CIB) doesn't compile statistics on individual school averages and what not, but it contains useful information. Because of this, I created this post: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=12487361&postcount=1 I researched all the averages and included them only if they were from a reputable source (i.e. the school's website or pamphlets by the school). You can find a link to the CIB in that post too.

^It's pretty rare.
And you got a 6 twice. That'll hurt your chances more because adcoms might think that the 6 wasn't just a fluke.

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Here are my numbers.
GPA: 3.72
SGPA: 3.65

MCAT 1: 26Q (PS 10, VR 6, BS 10)
MCAT 2: 28Q (PS 12, VR 6, BS 10)

This very week I was accepted to an allopathic medical school. SUNY Buffalo. (in state resident)

Do not let anyone tell you that you have no chance at being accepted to an MD school. Many state schools will look past your numbers and assess you as a whole person, especially if you have great extra curriculars. Getting a six twice is MUCH better than getting a lower score the second time. Also, the fact that you took the test twice and improved so much in other sections illustrates your commitment and determination, regardless of the verbal score.

My recommendation, apply to state schools and schools you know that will look past your MCAT score. Also, if you really don't want to take the test again, like me, consider taking a year off to further show your commitment in other areas. I am taking a year off serving with AmeriCorps at a health center for the uninsured, which is basically all I talked about at my interviews.

So good luck and don't lose faith.

Most DO schools will give you a pass on the poor VR, but you'd certainly should be prepared to discuss it at interviews. I do see plenty of interviewees like you, and while I always write something like "Low VR score a concern" it doesn't seem to bother my Dean. Our newly reorganized AdCom has yet to say that a low VR is a killer.

What are my chances with just going ahead and applying with what I have? I am aware most MDs will screen me out, but will any DO's overlook a bad VR? I want to just add that I would gladly go to a DO school in the US.

Thank You.

Here are my numbers.

This very week I was accepted to an allopathic medical school. SUNY Buffalo. (in state resident)

Do not let anyone tell you that you have no chance at being accepted to an MD school. Many state schools will look past your numbers and assess you as a whole person, especially if you have great extra curriculars. Getting a six twice is MUCH better than getting a lower score the second time. Also, the fact that you took the test twice and improved so much in other sections illustrates your commitment and determination, regardless of the verbal score.

My recommendation, apply to state schools and schools you know that will look past your MCAT score. Also, if you really don't want to take the test again, like me, consider taking a year off to further show your commitment in other areas. I am taking a year off serving with AmeriCorps at a health center for the uninsured, which is basically all I talked about at my interviews.

Except my state schools are UC Davis and UC Irvine hahahahaha. Both of which screen out verbal scores below an 8 I believe.

Goro, what would you recommend as more reasonable explanations as to why my Physical is a 14 versus Verbal being a 6 when interviewing at DO? In all honesty, it's because I can get away with skimming PS passages and not so much with VR. Would they just think I blow off VR every time? I spent the most time on that section which may be incredibly hard to believe.

What would my chances be at some of the TOP DO schools? My GPA's and overall MCAT score are higher than all of their averages.

Here are my numbers.

Yea, but it's next to impossible to get a 5 or lower. Also I think OP is from California where the state school advantage doesn't exist. Also, are you a URM?

Except my state schools are UC Davis and UC Irvine hahahahaha. Both of which screen out verbal scores below an 8 I believe.

Goro, what would you recommend as more reasonable explanations as to why my Physical is a 14 versus Verbal being a 6 when interviewing at DO? In all honesty, it's because I can get away with skimming PS passages and not so much with VR. Would they just think I blow off VR every time? I spent the most time on that section which may be incredibly hard to believe.

What would my chances be at some of the TOP DO schools? My GPA's and overall MCAT score are higher than all of their averages.

Chances at top DO schools are probably pretty good although they will likely ask you about the VR. They'll likely also want you to show them that you are actually interested in DO and not just another failed MD applicant.

Have no idea; you tell me, as you're the one who took the exam.

I think you'll get plenty of interviews. If all of them end up in wait-list, you'll know why, at least. At that point, it will be time to fix the problem.

Hey all,

I wanted to bump my chances thread because I realized something terrible.

So i decided due to my VR I would apply to some DO schools as well, however I noticed that these DO schools are harsh against C-'s.

My small hiccup on my transcript is with a C-. I went to a quarter system school so I took 12 quarter units worth of an English class and received B-/C-/A-.

What do you think I should do about this case? Only some of them strictly say the "C" rule on their admissions requirements, but say 8 semester hours with a "C" or better. Would I be able to slide because it was just a quarter class?

Hey all,

So i decided due to my VR I would apply to some DO schools as well, however I noticed that these DO schools are harsh against C-'s.

My small hiccup on my transcript is with a C-. I went to a quarter system school so I took 12 quarter units worth of an English class and received B-/C-/A-.

What do you think I should do about this case? Only some of them strictly say the "C" rule on their admissions requirements, but say 8 semester hours with a "C" or better. Would I be able to slide because it was just a quarter class?

Call the schools and explain your situation. I'm sure they will understand especially since you do have some great qualities as an applicant.

Hey all,

I've been seeing your posts around the forums and my best advice for you is to seriously CHILL! You're stressing far too much about every little thing on your application. I want to address two things...1) in regards to your verbal MCAT score, accept it and move on! Is a 6 bad? Yes it is, but considering your excellent science scores and hopefully an excellent application (considering u submit early), I have no reason to believe that a md school will pass up on an intelligent and passionate student. Plus your overall score is very good! 2) You received a C-, so what?! Your overall gpa is respectable! Many students would love to be in your position. Just realize that no application will be perfect and you are not an exception.

With that being said, I have (for whatever reason) alot of confidence that you will get into a md school. Stop with the negative mentality because it'll show in your apps when you do apply. as a word of advice, do add a few DO schools. there is no harm in that. apply broadly to 25-30 md schools lower/middle tier mostly with a handful of reaches. you'll be surprised with the results.

One thing i must address is all the negative ppl that give out advice. some of these ppl had gpas below 3.2cgpa w/ <31 MCAT and have gotten acceptances to md schools yet they want to kill your hope! come on people...more importantly, carribean realize that some ppl have nothing better to do but just give out negative advice. tho there is a consensus that 6 verbal is not good, i think we all could agree that an application that is very well put together will not get rejected otherwise

btw carrib...according to pg 29 of the 2010-11 MSAR book, the percent of ppl getting accepted with your gpa and mcat combination is 77%. now it may be a little lower (ie in the low 70s). keep ur head up; im rooting for u!:)