Very Unbalanced MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thisisansley

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know this topic has been discussed several times but I would really value the feedback. I just got my MCAT scores yesterday and I got a 32 :))) but my break down was PS 8, VR 13, BS 11 :)(). On my pratice tests I was cosistently scoring at least 10-12-10. I don't know what happened on that PS section...

I had a good cry over it yesterday and now I'm ready to look at my options. I have a 3.89 cGPA majoring in Bio and minoring in Chem and Social Justice. I have clinical experience assisting births as a doula and I volunteer a lot, my most significant experience being at a pregnancy support center counseling women.

I'm not a snob and will go anywhere that would take me (although staying in the NYC area would be ideal). I'm a Florida resident (my parents live there) so I'm planning on appying to state schools. I'm also 100% open to the DO route.

Do I go ahead and apply early with this score? My application is done and I reallllly don't want to retake unless I have to. Can you put my mind at ease? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

You should be fine with your stats if you apply broadly.

Getting a 13 on VR is damn hard though. It is a lot easier to raise the score of your other sections. With that, if you are willing to put in a lot more time and retake, I could see you getting a 35+..and that will guarantee you a seat somewhere and potentially open the doors to top tiers.

But if you are cool with DO, then definitely apply to touro-ny. You should be fine there.

Hey guys,

I know this topic has been discussed several times but I would really value the feedback. I just got my MCAT scores yesterday and I got a 32 :))) but my break down was PS 8, VR 13, BS 11 :)(). On my pratice tests I was cosistently scoring at least 10-12-10. I don't know what happened on that PS section...

I had a good cry over it yesterday and now I'm ready to look at my options. I have a 3.89 cGPA majoring in Bio and minoring in Chem and Social Justice. I have clinical experience assisting births as a doula and I volunteer a lot, my most significant experience being at a pregnancy support center counseling women.

I'm not a snob and will go anywhere that would take me (although staying in the NYC area would be ideal). I'm a Florida resident (my parents live there) so I'm planning on appying to state schools. I'm also 100% open to the DO route.

Do I go ahead and apply early with this score? My application is done and I reallllly don't want to retake unless I have to. Can you put my mind at ease? :confused:

You will be fine :) I think the red flags of unbalanced MCAT scores are seeing sub-10's on the VS or BS. It's not uncommon to see a low PS (which will probably happen to me).

Apply and best of luck!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, guys. I was having some major panic yesterday. This really helps.

I'm in the same boat with a 9/13/11. I am hoping that the 13 in VR will stand out. (It's 99th percentile, so it should help us!) I know for a lot of schools our scores mean we are in the 10th percentile for PS and 90th for VR. I'm not sure what that will mean.

I'm a couple years out of school and was working full time (and parenting) while studying, so I kind of knew the PS would be funky.

Your activities sound awesome. Doulas rock. Good luck with your cycle!

Why are you crying over something like that? Your score and stats are fantastic. To be nervous, panicked, upset over a 32 MCAT is ridiculous. Sometimes SDN is way too nerdy with this kind of stuff.

original.jpeg

Only on SDN....

13 on verbal is amazing. I would definitely not retake at the risk of your other scores going down. An 8 on PS is not bad. I would tell you to retake if it was 7 or below. I think you have a great shot at both MD and DO. Don't stress too much.

You'll be fine. I don't know of any schools that screen people out for having an 8 in any of the sections.
Also it's PS (aka, the least relevant skill set for medicine), and you're a resident of Florida which has plenty of state schools as well as some newly opened ones.

Maybe the Ivies, but you're fine anywhere else.

You'll be fine. I don't know of any schools that screen people out for having an 8 in any of the sections.
Also it's PS (aka, the least relevant skill set for medicine), and you're a resident of Florida which has plenty of state schools as well as some newly opened ones.