Very Very Important for me to find the answer to this...

WhyNOT111

USC Dentistry 2013
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2008
Los Angeles
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Kinda curious but more I really want to know for someone else.

Is it possible for someone, anyone for that matter, school counselor, a friend, anyone anyone, to contact the dental school that you already have an interview at, and kind of screw around with your character. "defamation of character" that is what i'm trying to say.

For example, if they say, oh yea the person cheated on this class, blah blah. and how the person is NOT trustworthy and blah blah.

is this possible?

whlee84

10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
yea of course, anything is possible...if the person really wanted to screw you over, contacting the school about you is very simple...whether or not the school actually listen to the person is another story, unless the person provides convincing evidence of his claims

Dentista08

looking for a practice!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2008
Boston, MA
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
  2. Dentist
Kinda curious but more I really want to know for someone else.

Is it possible for someone, anyone for that matter, school counselor, a friend, anyone anyone, to contact the dental school that you already have an interview at, and kind of screw around with your character. "defamation of character" that is what i'm trying to say.

For example, if they say, oh yea the person cheated on this class, blah blah. and how the person is NOT trustworthy and blah blah.

is this possible?
Haha i so feel you! I have a "cazy" ex who I was scared might do that to me, but then I thought about it: why would dental schools believe a phone call? They are sooo busy with other stuff like reading our apps and LORs etc that they dont have time to listen to someone who is obviously hates you and trying to screw you over because of personal issues.
However, if you think a teacher would do that because a student might have cheated on the test, why wouldn't that teacher report that student to their college's dean and get him in trouble that way? The university would usually put you on "probation" or something like that on your record and you would have to disclose that info to the dental school.
So tell your friend not to worry.

About the Ads

WhyNOT111

USC Dentistry 2013
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2008
Los Angeles
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
yea of course, anything is possible...if the person really wanted to screw you over, contacting the school about you is very simple...whether or not the school actually listen to the person is another story, unless the person provides convincing evidence of his claims

well, yes. I realize it's only a phone call away but I guess my question was more about the evidence and if they schools actually believe that person.

Stephie3

10+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
i have thought about the exact same thing!! i have a family member that really doesn't want me to be a dentist (she probably doesn't want me to make more money than her..i dont know..but its weird) and i was scared she'd like call up the schools and try to tell them that i just can't handle dentistry or that i suck or something just to mess me up.

Stephie3

10+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
i am glad i never told her about three/fifths of the schools i got interviews at

DuffMan01

10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I wont really worry about it! They have too much on their hands to actually hear other peoples opinion on an individual. But like someone said...Anything is possible

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.