Very Very Low MCAT and Gap Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lazybum2014

Imma Star
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
It took a LOT of consideration before posting this because it pains me everytime...

I took the MCAT in June and I was scoring about 29-30. I thought the test went pretty well and scored it. Wrong. I got 19.

Anyway, I know that I need to take a gap year or two. But I don't know what to do with my gap year. My GPA and SGPA stands at 3.7 both. My ECs are mediocre. Nothing too special.

I know I need to take the MCAT again but after that should I apply to master's programs or SMPs? Or should I use these two years to improve my chances with ECs? should I take two years off or would I be better with one year?

If it matters, Im from NY, and I go to a state university.

Please help me! My pre-health advisor says as long as I retake, it doesn't matter but with my mcat of 19 I'm scared that my GPA isn't as good as it was before...

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
It took a LOT of consideration before posting this because it pains me everytime...

I took the MCAT in June and I was scoring about 29-30. I thought the test went pretty well and scored it. Wrong. I got 19.

Anyway, I know that I need to take a gap year or two. But I don't know what to do with my gap year. My GPA and SGPA stands at 3.7 both. My ECs are mediocre. Nothing too special.

I know I need to take the MCAT again but after that should I apply to master's programs or SMPs? Or should I use these two years to improve my chances with ECs? should I take two years off or would I be better with one year?

Please help me! My pre-health advisor says as long as I retake, it doesn't matter but with my mcat of 19 I'm scared that my GPA isn't as good as it was before...

I wouldn't waste my time with a masters or SMP. Your GPA is fine. Anything above a 3.6 is competitive for MD. Just improve your MCAT, and do some volunteering/shadowing while you do.

Hello,

Your GPA is excellent. No need to take two gap years. 1 gap year is a ton of time to build your ECs and retake the MCAT. If you were scoring 29-30 on practice tests (I am guessing these were AAMC exams) then with the right study material, you should be able to get a score in this range on the real deal. I did terribly on my first attempt at the MCAT as well and it completely shattered my confidence and ruined my plans to apply when I had intended to. Taking a gap year to make my application strong was one of the best things I did. Your practice tests scores tell me you have good grasp on the content and just need additional practice material. I would recommend that you shouldn't let too much time go by to start studying for your retake because if you still remember a good chunk of the content from studying the first time around, you can have more time to spend on taking Full length exams when you are studying for your retake. The key to do well on the MCAT is all about practice, practice, and more practice. Best of Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

Damn, I'm sorry that happened to you. I also don't think you need a masters with that GPA. I think you need to focus on MCAT and get consistent research or clinical experience. Clinical would probably be better.

Additionally, what material were you using to prep for your first MCAT? And what practice tests did you get those scores on? Do you think it was a matter of test anxiety that caused your performance to be so different?

A little bit of both for sure. And a little test anxiety. I went to the bathroom IN BETWEEN a section thinking it would log out from the security people. Anxiety caught up I guess in the next section.

But thank you so much!!