Very Worried , Junior just ended 1st semester, Pre-Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureCardiolo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wrong Post-Changed Question

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What do you mean you know you will ace your interviews? You mean your medical school interviews? No offense, but until you go through them, don't plan anything. It's entirely subjective. Also don't make any predictions about your GPA but just take it a quarter at a time with the intention to apply to medical school. I mean no matter what you eventually decide to do you will need good grades to do it.

2 C's will not ruin your chances as long as you continue to do well from here on out. Your GPA is below what most people would like to have if they were applying to medical school but is not so low as to be a major disadvantage. You do seem to have excellent EC's but there are many factors to consider...

Honors Program doesn't really matter since you won't even get a sticker on your diploma until you graduate. You also won't know your chances realistically until you take your MCAT. A good MCAT score could entirely make up for your GPA like 35+.

Basically as of now my...

cGPA is about 3.45
sGPA is about 3.45

Have been shadowing a internal med doctor and cardiologist doctor for 2+years.
Volunteered in hospitals and local clinics.
Currently in the colleges Honor program.
Mcat yet to be taken but already started studying for it.
Planning out of country medical trip to Guana to help the sick.
Doing a biochemistry research at my college ( in the lab )

Basically these are my overall grades in a nutshell.

science classes grades B-A's (Anatomy I, Gen Chem I, Gen BIO I and II, Micro, Patho, Orgo ( got an A), Physics (Got an A)

only mistakes were (my only C's) Gen Chem II and Anatomy II were C+'s.
I also took various classes like Renassaince and Culture and diversity classes.

My life is becoming a doctor (Cardio-Surgeon)

Could those 2 C's ruin it for me?

I plan to ace my interview..... and get my GPA up to around a 3.6-3.7 before graduation.

Im depressed because of this . And I dont know what to do. Like Im extremely depressed, what If i dont get accepted ?
:(

Honestly, it doesn't look great.
Neither your GPA nor your ECs are above the typical (unsuccessful) applicant. You're not sitting in the "hopeless" spot many do but you seem, to be honest, pretty unremarkable as an applicant. You have far more shadowing than you need (2 years?!) but shadowing becomes pretty meaningless beyond a couple weeks of it (around 60-100 hrs).

I, as well, am a bit curious how you can "plan to ace your interviews." I think we all plan to do well but you can't plan someone else's perception of you. You have only so much control over that.

What have you done in hospitals and local clinics? How many hours? How have you interacted w/ pts? Do you have any leadership experience? (What kind?) Has your research produced anything (i.e., pubs, presentations, etc.)? Do you have any interests, hobbies, etc. that would set you apart? You say you want to be cardiac surgeon but what exposure do you have to surgery in general or to cardiac surgery in particular? (Cardiology is a fine start but "declaring" your specialty now should mean you have an awful lot of exposure to that specialty as well as a variety of others.)

Overall, you're an iffy candidate. You might do okay as you appear to at least have checked most of your boxes but are by no means a shoe-in anywhere. Of course, this may also be the way you are presenting your app here on SDN and I may be misreading it. It simply sounds very "typical" to me w/o anything really to set it apart save the poor GPA (which would only hurt you).

Members don't see this ad :)
jealous troll...

traveling out of country to help people with viral diseases doesnt stand out?

Neither your GPA nor your ECs are above the typical (unsuccessful) applicant. You're not sitting in the "hopeless" spot many do but you seem, to be honest, pretty unremarkable as an applicant. You have far more shadowing than you need (2 years?!) but shadowing becomes pretty meaningless beyond a couple weeks of it (around 60-100 hrs).

I, as well, am a bit curious how you can "plan to ace your interviews." I think we all plan to do well but you can't plan someone else's perception of you. You have only so much control over that.

What have you done in hospitals and local clinics? How many hours? How have you interacted w/ pts? Do you have any leadership experience? (What kind?) Has your research produced anything (i.e., pubs, presentations, etc.)? Do you have any interests, hobbies, etc. that would set you apart? You say you want to be cardiac surgeon but what exposure do you have to surgery in general or to cardiac surgery in particular? (Cardiology is a fine start but "declaring" your specialty now should mean you have an awful lot of exposure to that specialty as well as a variety of others.)

Overall, you're an iffy candidate. You might do okay as you appear to at least have checked most of your boxes but are by no means a shoe-in anywhere. Of course, this may also be the way you are presenting your app here on SDN and I may be misreading it. It simply sounds very "typical" to me w/o anything really to set it apart save the poor GPA (which would only hurt you).
jealous troll...

jealous troll...

really? going out of country to help people with smallpox doesnt count as being out of the ordinary EC?

F U troll, go get a life

Interesting... you post in a forum to get critiqued and you're offended by some honest criticism? You should probably have a little respect first before posting next time.

Also, I have plenty of friends who go out of the country on medical missions. It's not an ordinary EC, but i wouldn't bank my whole medical school admission on that one EC.

I think extraordinary ECs include a ton of leadership since medical schools want to accept future leaders in medicine.

I think volunteer abroad helps you the most when you're writing your personal statements.

really? going out of country to help people with smallpox doesnt count as being out of the ordinary EC?

F U troll, go get a life
OP, apumic is a long-time, well-respected member of SDN who gave you an honest critique. I'm sorry it was painful for you to hear, but I suggest you pay attention anyway.

BTW, smallpox was eradicated from the planet in 1980 as a clinical disease and survives only in the deep freeze of research institutions.

jealous troll...

No, it does not stand out. i would say btw 50-75% of premeds went out of the country to do some good deeds.

I think i stood out more by not doing any community service, lol

also, nothing about apumic's response warrants him being called a troll. and i doubt he's jealous of your 3.45

I think volunteer abroad helps you the most when you're writing your personal statements.

also these kinds of personal statements get old fast. i would do my best to focus it on something other than your medical service mission, and mention it as an impact on your decision to apply.