1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Very Worried

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by jjheremance, Dec 17, 2008.

1. jjheremance

Pre-Medical
    I am a sophmore at Illinois Wesleyan University. Freshman year was ok...in terms of GPA. I got B- , C, C+, C- first semester and A, A-, B+, B, A- second semester...giving me a overall GPA of 2.93. This semester fall 08, i got A in organic chemistry, B in Psychology, B+ in French, and B in Biology, giving me a 3.08 overall GPA. I am currently doing research and am about to publish with another student and faculty on organic synthesis. I start volunteering in Jan at a local hospital 2hrs/week. I plan to volunteer, work on research and take some classes in the summer. I took a practice MCAT exam our school offered and got a 29. I am confident, i will do really well on the MCAT. What should my GPA be to get into a MD medical school in the United States?

What else should i do to become a competitive applicant?

-Jason

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. flip26

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Start making As...you need to get that cum GPA north of 3.5...you have 5 semesters to do it...

4. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    The research and hospital volunteerism will be important extracurriculars to list on an application, but if you don't get your GPA up, no one will read the rest of the application. For those accepted to med school, the mean GPA is 3.65. The mean MCAT is close to 31. If your GPA is a bit low, you'll need a better MCAT to compensate. So you need to start getting straight As to make up for all the Cs you've gotten. Any B you get will not help to raise your GPA.

Besides the ECs you've mentioned, try to get a leadership experience too, but not at the expense of your grades.