• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Very Worried

jjheremance

10+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2008
  1. Pre-Medical
I am a sophmore at Illinois Wesleyan University. Freshman year was ok...in terms of GPA. I got B- , C, C+, C- first semester and A, A-, B+, B, A- second semester...giving me a overall GPA of 2.93. This semester fall 08, i got A in organic chemistry, B in Psychology, B+ in French, and B in Biology, giving me a 3.08 overall GPA. I am currently doing research and am about to publish with another student and faculty on organic synthesis. I start volunteering in Jan at a local hospital 2hrs/week. I plan to volunteer, work on research and take some classes in the summer. I took a practice MCAT exam our school offered and got a 29. I am confident, i will do really well on the MCAT. What should my GPA be to get into a MD medical school in the United States?

What else should i do to become a competitive applicant?

-Jason

flip26

10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2007
  1. Medical Student
I am a sophmore at Illinois Wesleyan University. Freshman year was ok...in terms of GPA. I got B- , C, C+, C- first semester and A, A-, B+, B, A- second semester...giving me a overall GPA of 2.93. This semester fall 08, i got A in organic chemistry, B in Psychology, B+ in French, and B in Biology, giving me a 3.08 overall GPA. I am currently doing research and am about to publish with another student and faculty on organic synthesis. I start volunteering in Jan at a local hospital 2hrs/week. I plan to volunteer, work on research and take some classes in the summer. I took a practice MCAT exam our school offered and got a 29. I am confident, i will do really well on the MCAT. What should my GPA be to get into a MD medical school in the United States?

What else should i do to become a competitive applicant?

-Jason

Start making As...you need to get that cum GPA north of 3.5...you have 5 semesters to do it...

Mobius1985

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2007
The research and hospital volunteerism will be important extracurriculars to list on an application, but if you don't get your GPA up, no one will read the rest of the application. For those accepted to med school, the mean GPA is 3.65. The mean MCAT is close to 31. If your GPA is a bit low, you'll need a better MCAT to compensate. So you need to start getting straight As to make up for all the Cs you've gotten. Any B you get will not help to raise your GPA.

Besides the ECs you've mentioned, try to get a leadership experience too, but not at the expense of your grades.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.