Vet school vs Vet Tech School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JL050606

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all:
I'm new to SDN so bear with me. I live in NH where the closest accredited Vet School is 2-3hrs away (no Vet School in NH nor VT). I am interested in applying to Vet School but b/c of distance I thought of pursuing Vet Tech through an accredited online Vet Tech School program like Purdue Univ until my husband and I can move to a state where I can apply and be close to a Vet School. Any comments from anyone on how I should proceed from this?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The only reason to go to Vet Tech School is if you want to be a vet tech. If you want to be a veterinarian, I would enroll in a school and take courses that satisfy the prerequisites of the veterinary school you want to attend.

Thanks, Bill.
I do have all the pre-reqs of the schools I want to apply to, including biochem and calculus. I did my undergrad in Biology and Chemistry. I was thinking of doing Vet Tech while I wait to move to the state with Vet school. In addition to my basic science research, I am planning to volunteer at my local humane society and at a local farm or rescue league in New Hampshire. If you think doing Vet Tech will be a waste of time, please let me know. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just so you know it is against the rules to post the same thing in more than one forum. Most people on the vet board also check the prevet board. Someone will probably close this thread soon.

I don't think vet tech school is necessarily a waste of time, but as above, the reason to go to vet tech school is if you want to be a vet tech. If you want to be a veterinarian the 2 years would probably be better spent strengthening your vet. school application. Examples would be getting veterinary experience by working at a hospital, vet. research, and so on.

The small advantage a vet. tech degree would provide for vet. school application is going to be less than some other things you could do during those 2 years.

angelo84 - i'm new to sdn but from what i gather from the sdn rules is that you cannot post similar thread 'within' the same forum (hence - they ask you to search for your topic before posting), for obvious reason - redundancy - within the same forum. but, posting similar thread in different forum, which i think jl050606 did, is acceptable (hence, his/her thread has not been shut down as you might think should happen), again for obvious reason - each forum caters to different readers - technically. let me know if i'm wrong. but i read the 4-5 rules right before i got started with sdn. besides, isn't this a moderator's job? is your pre-vet/vet courses not keeping you busy enough? (j/k) ;)

angelo84 - i'm new to sdn but from what i gather from the sdn rules is that you cannot post similar thread 'within' the same forum (hence - they ask you to search for your topic before posting), for obvious reason - redundancy - within the same forum. but, posting similar thread in different forum, which i think jl050606 did, is acceptable (hence, his/her thread has not been shut down as you might think should happen), again for obvious reason - each forum caters to different readers - technically. let me know if i'm wrong. but i read the 4-5 rules right before i got started with sdn. besides, isn't this a moderator's job? is your pre-vet/vet courses not keeping you busy enough? (j/k) ;)

You may well be correct but I know in the past if someone posts the same thread in the prevet and vet forums one of the threads has been closed. It is not my job to control the boards which is why I didn't report the posting I just wanted to warn the OP that the thread may be closed. I realize that in theory you are reaching a different audience but almost all of the people on the vet boards also post on the prevet so I do not believe that you are accomplishing that goal. As far as vet courses keeping me busy I am enjoying my last summer before I head into the 8 to 5 hell of third year! No offense taken ;)