Vet School: What's YOUR Living situation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've lived with my husband for the past 6 years and that won't be that changing when I go to vet school. I can't imagine having a roommate in addition to the hubs and cats but I really like my privacy and my space. Right now we've been in the same enormous-by-NYC-standards 1 bedroom for the past 5 years so it's going to suck to move. We're looking for at least a 2 bedroom because I can't wait to have guests stay over without someone being relegated to the couch. We've been looking for pet-friendly apartments and have even entertained the idea of buying but we'll see. It is non-negotiable that our cats come with (all five of them...:oops: ) but I'd really rather not pay an extra deposit and monthly fee to have them.

Members don't see this ad.

It is non-negotiable that our cats come with (all five of them...:oops: ) but I'd really rather not pay an extra deposit and monthly fee to have them.

Yay I'm not the only crazy cat lady :p I also have 5 kitties, but only 4 when I started vet school. Now I get to move from CA to PA with 5 cats... it's going to suck. A friend of my husband's actually asked why we don't just give them up for adoption before we leave, as it will make the move so much easier. :eek: I don't care what it takes (lots of acepromazine and patience), but they're coming with us!

Yay I'm not the only crazy cat lady :p I also have 5 kitties, but only 4 when I started vet school. Now I get to move from CA to PA with 5 cats... it's going to suck. A friend of my husband's actually asked why we don't just give them up for adoption before we leave, as it will make the move so much easier. :eek: I don't care what it takes (lots of acepromazine and patience), but they're coming with us!
I drove with 2 Iggies and 1 kitty from Los Angeles to Phila.
Kitty was fine until we got to Western PA. Then she had ENOUGH! The last 8 hours were very NOISY... It took us 4 days I believe.

I must say though that our kitty didn't let us sleep much in the motels as she constantly wanted us to make up for keeping her cooped up in a car all day. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Though I am terrified of roommates from my freshman year, I think I would be really really lonely if I was living alone. It's just going to be me and one other vet student (same year) in probably a 3bed/2bath, so there should be plenty of room for us to keep to ourselves. Logically I know I probably should have looked for someone not my year but I'm hoping we'll get along really well (and suspect that will be the case). For now it's just going to be the two humans and my one menace of a kitten. He likes other cats and I think would be fine with dogs (he's only been around one tiny puppy) so if we accumulate more it should be ok. I'm pretty sure I'll get another cat to keep him company so he doesn't tear apart the house when we're gone all day.

Glad I'm not the only crazy one! When people's eyes bug out when I tell them I have 5 cats I say well, three are mine and two are my husbands. Sort of technically true? But I do not envy you having to take them on a 3,000 mile trip! Good luck! An old friend moved from Portland to Brooklyn with a dog and a cat and they drove. They set up a litterbox at night in every motel room but kitty was so angry she didn't poop for the entire trip. :eek: Thankfully, we only have a 4ish hour drive to Ithaca but I know the logistics of it all are going to be tricky.

Glad I'm not the only crazy one! When people's eyes bug out when I tell them I have 5 cats I say well, three are mine and two are my husbands. Sort of technically true? But I do not envy you having to take them on a 3,000 mile trip! Good luck! An old friend moved from Portland to Brooklyn with a dog and a cat and they drove. They set up a litterbox at night in every motel room but kitty was so angry she didn't poop for the entire trip. :eek: Thankfully, we only have a 4ish hour drive to Ithaca but I know the logistics of it all are going to be tricky.

portland, OR not ME, I assume?

I'm a little worried about driving my dog from DC to MO, especially because she is the kind of idiot who tries to stand up the whole time and won't sit down/settle down. I'm hoping she gets the idea at some point. We've been working on getting her in the car as much as possible and she's at least learned to stay in the backseat on her own now (started out with a divider, but she would try to jump that) and not try to climb into the driver's lap, so that's progress. Still makes me nervous just because she's on the older side.

I'm a little worried about driving my dog from DC to MO, especially because she is the kind of idiot who tries to stand up the whole time and won't sit down/settle down. I'm hoping she gets the idea at some point. We've been working on getting her in the car as much as possible and she's at least learned to stay in the backseat on her own now (started out with a divider, but she would try to jump that) and not try to climb into the driver's lap, so that's progress. Still makes me nervous just because she's on the older side.

Seatbelt harness.
Only thing that keeps one of my monsters in the back seat. I had to try a few before I found one she couldn't get wiggle out of, but it works super well. I harness both of mine, harnesses tied to opposite sides of the car (usu headrests instead of seatbelts) so they cant get tangled up in each other or bicker.

Haha, yes Portland, OR. Sorry I didn't clarify!

I think taking her out in the car as much as possible beforehand is a great idea. My parents used to have to seriously drug their black lab before long car rides so that's always an option... of course you know your dog better than anyone else! Good luck!

My golden will not settle down in the car, either. He paces and pants. I had a seatbelt harness for him but he would get all tangled in it. I ended up getting a soft 36" crate for him. He fits well in it and since I only have a small hatchback car that is what fits in there. He rides pretty well in that since he was crate trained. I only live about an hour and half west of DC (in Winchester) so we might be making basically the same trek together! Feel free to pm me!

Seatbelt harness.
Only thing that keeps one of my monsters in the back seat. I had to try a few before I found one she couldn't get wiggle out of, but it works super well. I harness both of mine, harnesses tied to opposite sides of the car (usu headrests instead of seatbelts) so they cant get tangled up in each other or bicker.

no headrests in the back. :( i really wanted one of those things that covers the entire backseat from headrests in back to headrests in front to help with dirty paws and hair, but can't figure out a good way to get one to stay without those rear headrests.
do the harnesses allow you to attach such that she would be forced to stay over on one side of the seat? need to look into how they work, I think, but it's something I've considered just to keep her from moving around in the back (also, safety, etc.), though she will stay on the backseat on her own now.

This is the best harness system that I love!
http://usak9outfitters.com/CCSS.htm

I have one of those draped things in the backseat, but yes, you do need the headrests.

Also, with my boy, I made almost like a zip-line system for him at one point. He could move about the entire back seat but was still secure in some way.

no headrests in the back. :( i really wanted one of those things that covers the entire backseat from headrests in back to headrests in front to help with dirty paws and hair, but can't figure out a good way to get one to stay without those rear headrests.
do the harnesses allow you to attach such that she would be forced to stay over on one side of the seat? need to look into how they work, I think, but it's something I've considered just to keep her from moving around in the back (also, safety, etc.), though she will stay on the backseat on her own now.

Really the best and safest option is to crate them. If the dog is crate trained, the crate is a place for them to feel safe. And a dog moving around a car is just not really safe for the dog or you.

Harnesses are ok, although I am still skeptical of them. It is not like they have crash test dog dummies that they have been tested on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really the best and safest option is to crate them. If the dog is crate trained, the crate is a place for them to feel safe. And a dog moving around a car is just not really safe for the dog or you.

Harnesses are ok, although I am still skeptical of them. It is not like they have crash test dog dummies that they have been tested on.

I know, I know. I'm going to harness her into one side of the backseat, just need to find a good harness (thanks for the suggestion, rainheart).
And dog is not crate trained, so there's that.

Also, I have a back dachshund, so other people's dogs around her, unsupervised, scares me. And she is not crate trained. Ugh. It wasn't an issue when I got her...

I plan on living alone for vet school if I go to my instate. Most likely purchasing a decent condo. Hopefully 2 bedrooms one for an office and one for relaxation. My parents live about 30 mins from the college town and we can rent it out in the future. Plus I have a bunch of cousins and a brother reaching college age soon so it'll get many years of use after me hopefully.

I shoved my b**chy but loves car-rides cat in a larger crate with my boyfriend's nice but car anxious cat last time we needed to make a 3 hr trip, and it worked quite well. Every time bf's cat started screaming, my cat gave him a whack in the head with a grumble/hiss. Stopped that real quick. Both fell asleep not that much later. In his own crate, bf's cat is the most obnoxious thing in the world.

My cat had a history of mothering (licking, grooming) another car anxious cat in the same crate, so that's what I was going for... but this worked too I guess :rolleyes:

This sounds like my worst nightmare and a situation where I would surely not be able to keep my New Year's resolution of not being incarcerated during this year.

Believe me, I understand! :laugh:

I moved from PA to the west coast with my cat (thankfully I only had 1). He didn't pee for the first two days of the trip. :eek: And it was the middle of summer, so every time we stopped to eat, we had to eat in the car with the engine running so the cat didn't overheat. It got old really quickly. I also took him home once by a trip that involved taking a ferry boat then driving several hours then taking two long connecting flights. When we were on the ferry I let him run around the car so he could use the litterbox or drink/eat if he wanted to. He spent the entire time hiding under the pedals. He did however sleep quite soundly on the airplane.

So what's your current living situation? Why did you choose it?
I'm in the same situation I was first year- I live in a little house alone but that is directly next to two other little houses (all owned by the same landlord).

I chose it because I've experienced the range: lived in the same tiny room as someone freshman year of undergrad, lived with housemates and lived alone. Living alone, for me at least, is far, FAR preferable. I had some unpleasant experiences living with housemates- not awful horror stories, but I'm out over $1000 because I picked up people's financial slack. Living alone, I don't have to worry about conflict on any level. If I want to leave my dishes in the sink, I don't worry what my housemate will think. If I feel crappy and want to go to bed at 8:30, I don't have to worry about someone watching TV. And because I study at home, I can have the exact study conditions that I need. I don't really get lonely because I hang out with friends outside of school and get my social time but still have my own space to come back to at the end of the day, which is important to me. Also, you will get really, really tired of seeing the same people every day. If you feel the need to have roommates, get them in another year or not even at the vet school!

Did you have any pets, and did you bring them along with you? Whether yes or no, why did you make the decision to either bring them or leave them at home?
I have one small dog, and I brought her with me. I decided to bring her because I'm just her person in life- she's a one person kind of dog. I believe pretty strongly that dogs can adapt to most situations you put them but it's been just the two of us for years and she isn't happy when I leave her with my parents (like when I'm out of town, for example). She's also got some health problems that I wouldn't want to burden my parents with, especially since they haven't chosen to get another dog after they lost their last one a few years ago. In many cases I think leaving a pet with willing family or friends can be better for the pet but not always.

Last edited:
When I was moving my pets and the last of my stuff from Texas to Louisiana, my truck broke down in the middle of nowhere, TX. In late summer. Luckily it was a relatively cool day (85F or so), but five cats and two rats crammed into my truck cabin with no AC? And the roadside assistance person telling me it was going to take 45 minutes minimum for anyone to get to me?

:scared:

Not my favorite day.

But apparently if you express very clearly with just the right tinge of panic in your voice the urgent nature of your needing roadside assistance, they will shave 25 minutes off the "minimum" estimate. :thumbup: I nearly hugged the tow truck driver.

I'm still in undergrad, but I'm sharing a 1 bedroom with my SO. It's not bad at all except that it's far from school. But we had to because this was the only NICE apartment that would allow our pit bull. We rescued her last summer literally off a busy street. She's great with dogs and people, so I wish the entire city wouldn't label her "aggressive" and keep me out. I'm worried about moving to vet school because I don't know if I could find a similar arrangement!

I'm still in undergrad, but I'm sharing a 1 bedroom with my SO. It's not bad at all except that it's far from school. But we had to because this was the only NICE apartment that would allow our pit bull. We rescued her last summer literally off a busy street. She's great with dogs and people, so I wish the entire city wouldn't label her "aggressive" and keep me out. I'm worried about moving to vet school because I don't know if I could find a similar arrangement!

Tell them she's a Staffordshire! :D Or we one have a client that calls his an American bulldog (though knowledgeable people can tell them apart) and one even says a mastiff/lab mix.

Tell them she's a Staffordshire! :D Or we one have a client that calls his an American bulldog (though knowledgeable people can tell them apart) and one even says a mastiff/lab mix.

Unfortunately, everywhere I looked was too savvy for that! At least here, most apartments have a full standard list of restrictions that includes Bulldogs, Staffordshires, Pit Bulls, Presa Canarios, Rottweilers, Dobermans, Mastiffs, Akitas, and a few more. Trust me, I tried everything! Hopefully wherever I go to vet school, which of course depends upon me getting in, they won't know what a Staffordshire is. Or if I end up doing long-distance with my SO (VMRCVM is my first choice, but my SO does NOT want to live in Blacksburg...), maybe I'll relinquish our dog for a few years :eek:

I say this as a pit bull owner...
It's really not cool to be dishonest about a dog's breed. Chances are the landlord will see the dog and realize, or they will get their insurance dropped because many insurances have breed restrictions.

If you come to Penn, you will have no problem finding a pit bull friendly place.

I say this as a pit bull owner...
It's really not cool to be dishonest about a dog's breed. Chances are the landlord will see the dog and realize, or they will get their insurance dropped because many insurances have breed restrictions.

If you come to Penn, you will have no problem finding a pit bull friendly place.

I really wouldn't have any qualms about calling her a Staffordshire, or even a bulldog mix, because I really don't know what she is. I honestly can't tell a huge difference between each of those breeds...I just know she's a brindle piggy with a huge head :laugh: But I agree, I wouldn't lie, especially with how frequently people come up to me and ask about her being a pit bull. I was very lucky to find a place with no restrictions.

I'm glad to hear that other areas are more accepting! I've never looked into Penn. I'm not sure I'd be a good fit for the North!