Vet School with Unnatural Hair

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Currently wearing a vet school tank and undergrad sweats. Lol
I think probably 1/3 of my wardrobe is undergrad stuff. I have absolutely no self control. Especially when it comes to full-zip sweatshirts. :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think probably 1/3 of my wardrobe is undergrad stuff. I have absolutely no self control. Especially when it comes to full-zip sweatshirts. :oops:

I'm moving in a few weeks and I'm looking forward to getting the total count on current undergrad hoard (have thrown some things out) and the growing vet school hoard. It'll probably be an embarrassing number.

Reactions: 1 users
This will be me whenever I am finally accepted. I have toooooooons from my undergrad because my parents went there too (so I've been surrounded in it since birth)

Also, I'm currently wearing a shirt from mine :laugh:
I'm currently wearing a shirt from my brother's fraternity at a completely different university than mine. Because that totally makes sense. It's just really comfy

Members don't see this ad :)
OH! Maybe since my undergrad is the same school as my vet school, I won't be as tempted to buy things (she lies)

Reactions: 4 users
I don't think I even own things from undergrad aside from my keychain, which I still use even though it's my vet school university's rival haha

I have a sweatshirt from vet school, so I'm already doing better!

OH! Maybe since my undergrad is the same school as my vet school, I won't be as tempted to buy things (she lies)

You'll be worse

I don't think I even own things from undergrad aside from my keychain, which I still use even though it's my vet school university's rival haha

I have a sweatshirt from vet school, so I'm already doing better!

We're all enablers here. We'd have no problem helping you join the fold!

I got a bunch of free undergrad swag, think I maybe bought a couple things but still have a lot (either free from the school or gifts). Have so many vet school t-shirts now. Two really excellent long sleeves as well, and pretty much the most comfortable sweatshirt in the world. Might have wanted to wear it every day, was very sad when it got too hot.

Definitely don't mind it myself. It sets you up to acting/looking a certain way. It's nice when visitors come around and they are surprised with how "professional" the students look.

Not only that, I think at this point in your life you should be able to handle wearing dress clothes without it being the end of the world. I absolutely hate ties but I've gotten over it. On the other hand, I did 4 years in the Army so I'm use to having to adhere to a certain "standard".

As others are saying, Mississippi isn't the only school with a more strict dress code. As far as learning goes, tomorrow is our first exam. Considering no other school has even started, I think we're getting plenty of learning in. Definitely didn't want this turning into a thread bashing the school....I just wanted to make the point that some schools aren't okay with unnatural hair color. It's not even the vet school either, the entire university is pretty strict with dress code for professional/graduate students.

I wasn't trying to say that schools shouldn't have dress codes at all. I just think that it says something about the culture and priorities of a school if they are going to scrutinize the appearance of their students that closely and for the dean to take time out of his/her day to speak to students about it. I would think the dean should have some more important matters to deal with. From my outsider perspective, this sounds like an environment I'd rather not be involved with. It has nothing to do with being able to "handle wearing dress clothes without it being the end of the world." Just my opinion.

I wear dress clothes every single day I work (when I'm not in scrubs for surgery). It doesn't kill me. I'm perfectly fine and professional. But hell yeah I wore workout clothes or sweats to class basically every day I attended. Strict dress codes strike me as idiotic. Select individuals who are intelligent and adapted enough to know what the appropriate attire is for different situations and don't make people wear less comfortable clothes for freaking lectures.

Reactions: 11 users
Every time my department tries to order shirts/hoodies with our logo (which I'd love to buy) we don't get enough orders and it's cancelled. We've had two attempts this year and I'm so bummed.

Slightly off from the current conversation in this thread, but does anyone attend a school where the students are held to a stricter dress code than say, techs or tech students? I've heard fourth years mention they had to take out facial piercings/hide tattoos while we have techs that display theirs. We have techs with lip piercings and full/partial sleeves. We also can't (or at least we aren't supposed to...) wear patterned scrub tops as students and techs do all the time. I don't really care either way as none of these would apply to me, but I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this. I'm not sure if it's just something along the lines of 'doctors being held to a higher standard of appearance' or whatever.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think officially my current work place has a different standard for vets vs techs vs receptionists. I think according to our handbook doctors are supposed to be business casual with lab coats, and techs are supposed to be clean/neat (well as clean as you ever get in a vet hospital) scrubs. In practice, it's not enforced. I wear scrubs and so do the other two docs.

I have crazy colored hair, multiple piercings and lots of tattoos. Professors and guest speakers have had nothing but nice things to say about my appearance. The dean of our school loves my hair and wants to dye her hair the same way. There are plenty of doctors here that are heavily tattooed or have strange hair color. There is one woman who works here that has extensive tattoos including her neck and hands; everyone loves her.

Before I started, I heard penn had a business casual dress code, but it's been long since forgotten. I wear shorts, tank tops, whatever I want. They are only strict about dress code during labs and when we are at out large animal facility. I'm glad they don't care how we dress while sitting in a lecture hall.

Reactions: 2 users
Depends on the school. I always tried to dress nicely at NCSU (even for lecture) because it made me feel happier. But for some people sweats makes them feel happier, and NCSU didn't care much except in clinics (and even then not that much).

In my mind, it's professional school and you never know who you'll meet that day. Might as well feel polished, dress code or no.

In my mind, it's professional school and you never know who you'll meet that day. Might as well feel polished, dress code or no.
Sure I knew who I'd meet that day. The same profs and classmates I met every day. Occasionally a local politician or research big-wig would drop by, but they'd never interact with the students. So yeah, if I was in class, then hells yeah, jeans, hoodie, sneakers and a geeky t-shirt. I dressed professionally while on rotations, but count me as another who didn't see a point to pre-clinical dress codes. It seems immature on the school's part to assume that it's students are mature enough to handle a high pressure, emotionally taxing career with multiple health concerns, do surgery and other complicated procedures, etc but too immature to not know how to dress unless they're told to. (Holy run-on sentence, Batman...)

Of course you know who you're meeting... and anyone "important" didn't address the students much, if at all.

Besides, I feel most polished and put together able to talk in my pj's. I feel completely uncomfortable and out of my element in "fancy dress clothes". Wear what is appropriate for what you are attending/doing....that should be the message. Lecture + labs = jeans and t-shirts are fine. Clinics= business casual or scrubs depending on the rotation. Dress clothes are unnecessary for lecture.

I can promise you that the client whose dog's life I saved couldn't tell you what I was wearing that day nor does he likely care. I can also tell you that another client's cat I saved from active heart failure/resp distress....a few weeks later the client honestly told me he was so focused on his cat that he couldn't recall who he even saw.

So dress professional for your interviews, beyond impressing your possible future bosses, only a few uppity clients will give any ****s about the clothes on your back.

Reactions: 3 users
Sure I knew who I'd meet that day. The same profs and classmates I met every day. Occasionally a local politician or research big-wig would drop by, but they'd never interact with the students. So yeah, if I was in class, then hells yeah, jeans, hoodie, sneakers and a geeky t-shirt. I dressed professionally while on rotations, but count me as another who didn't see a point to pre-clinical dress codes. It seems immature on the school's part to assume that it's students are mature enough to handle a high pressure, emotionally taxing career with multiple health concerns, do surgery and other complicated procedures, etc but too immature to not know how to dress unless they're told to. (Holy run-on sentence, Batman...)
You do you. I would add, though, that I know plenty of vet students who don't know how to dress even when they ARE told what to wear. You would not believe what I saw people wearing on clinics. NOT professional whatsoever.

I'm not here to deny anyone the right to wear sweats. Wear sweats all day, my friend. But as for me, I'd rather accidentally overdress than be put in a situation where I feel extremely underdressed.

It's also good for my emotional wellbeing. By taking the time to dress and groom nicely, I am performing self-care (which I think we can all agree takes a hit while you're in vet school). But it's not the same for everybody; I get that.

(It seems that every time I say that I personally value dressing more professionally even in lecture, I get like 20 vet students jumping on me and passionately defending their right to roll out of bed and into a lecture seat. Dude, I don't care. But I would suggest, for those that are on the fence or wondering, that it's not a bad plan to dress more professionally.)

And yeah, if that makes you happy, agreed, you do you. I personally didn't have the time/energy/motivation to dress well, because that was probably 20 minutes less sleep I was getting and I straight up find dressy clothes to be uncomfortable as sin no matter how well they're made.

For the record, I was fine with this:
Depends on the school. I always tried to dress nicely at NCSU (even for lecture) because it made me feel happier. But for some people sweats makes them feel happier, and NCSU didn't care much except in clinics (and even then not that much).

It was this part I took issue with:

I think it gives a sense of urgency or importance that just doesn't exist IME. For 99.9% of your days in pre-clinical, there aren't going to be any industry big wigs around. (And frankly, I don't want to work for the kind of person that thinks I need to be in business wear to sit in a dark lecture hall for 8 hours.)

(It seems that every time I say that I personally value dressing more professionally even in lecture, I get like 20 vet students jumping on me and passionately defending their right to roll out of bed and into a lecture seat. Dude, I don't care. But I would suggest, for those that are on the fence or wondering, that it's not a bad plan to dress more professionally.)

The people I recall responding are veterinarians, not students.

Reactions: 2 users
At no point have I wished that I had dressed nicer during class.

I do regret cutting the pink sections out of my hair for clinics, because in hindsight that seemed completely unnecessary.

And now I wear scrubs every day and have pink hair again. Le shrug.

The people I recall responding are veterinarians, not students.
Yeah, literally all graduated vets haha.

You always looked great in lectures, Hyge. I wish getting dressed up was a form of self care and enjoyable for me... I'd look much more put together and pretty day to day I'm sure. That's not me. I don't enjoy putting my fat ass in dress pants. I tolerate it because I need to for my workplace, but just like I said before, if I have the chance to be in comfy clothing instead... I'm gonna take it. And i think requiring people to dress up for lectures is idiotic and again, recommend the school just pick people who have demonstrated an ability to present themselves professionally instead of forcing it on everyone for no good reason.

I definitely had classmates that looked dressy and classy and trendy and effortless and that's just not me. I envied those (mostly) women who just looked adult and flawless every day. I put on pants that aren't denim or scrubs and I legitimately do not feel like myself. Button downs? Nope. Sweaters that aren't hoodies? Awkward af on me. My first job I got away with dressy tops and dark neat jeans (I don't think my boss liked that I wore jeans but we didn't have a handbook outlining any sort of dress code and she really needed me on staff so she never said anything about it). I wear scrubs to work now and it's glorious. Outside of work I cycle between geeky and slightly trashy. Nerdy t-shirts and jeans one day, pretty top and a miniskirt or shorts if my sort-of-SO is around and/or I want to be pretty. But the category of "business casual" just kills me.

Reactions: 3 users
I have no regrets about any comfy outfit I wore during the first 3 years of vet school. Maybe only regrets about uncomfortable dressy clothes that distracted me from learning. Dressing up has never made me feel good about myself. I feel self-conscious and am much happier in yoga pants, sneakers/flip flops, and a soft t shirt or v-neck and not once did I ever run into someone and wish I had worn nicer clothes. I now wear khaki pants, boots, and a polo or plaid button up to work everyday and feel plenty professional. The thought of business causal just makes me so uncomfortable and requiring it for 3 years of lectures seems pointless and insulting. I do not care if other people want to look nice for themselves but do not tell me what to wear while sitting in a classroom all day long.

Yeah, literally all graduated vets haha.

You always looked great in lectures, Hyge. I wish getting dressed up was a form of self care and enjoyable for me... I'd look much more put together and pretty day to day I'm sure. That's not me. I don't enjoy putting my fat ass in dress pants. I tolerate it because I need to for my workplace, but just like I said before, if I have the chance to be in comfy clothing instead... I'm gonna take it. And i think requiring people to dress up for lectures is idiotic and again, recommend the school just pick people who have demonstrated an ability to present themselves professionally instead of forcing it on everyone for no good reason.
Well thanks :p It served my needs. I agree; mandating a dress code for lecture is not strictly necessary. (I do understand why some schools do it, but it seems a little draconian.)

I wish getting dressed up was a form of self care and enjoyable for me... I'd look much more put together and pretty day to day I'm sure. That's not me. I don't enjoy putting my fat ass in dress pants. I tolerate it because I need to for my workplace, but just like I said before, if I have the chance to be in comfy clothing instead... I'm gonna take it. And i think requiring people to dress up for lectures is idiotic and again, recommend the school just pick people who have demonstrated an ability to present themselves professionally instead of forcing it on everyone for no good reason.

Exactly this. It's not a form of self-care or enjoyable for everyone to dress up. I don't feel comfortable or like myself at all in dress pants/skirts/blouses/etc. I'll do it, if I have to. But in lecture? I would have resented that so hard.

It's also good for my emotional wellbeing. By taking the time to dress and groom nicely, I am performing self-care (which I think we can all agree takes a hit while you're in vet school). But it's not the same for everybody; I get that.

Dressing comfortably is my self care! :D I can respect that you feel differently, but I also feel it's silly for schools to require professional dress during lecture.

I've never heard of a school that has students on LA rotations wear professional dress, here I'm pretty sure it's khakis and a polo or coveralls, depending on the rotation/what you're doing. SA rotations have a more strict dress code, but I usually see the students in slacks, a nice blouse and flats, not a skirt and heels. And I expect LA/mixed vets would still dress professionally if they were attending a conference, CE lecture, etc.

I wish we didn't have a dress code for lectures, but it kind of makes sense if we have a speaker in class or you just want to go up and ask a professor a question after class, it's nice to make a good impression. You never know who you might end up needing a letter of recommendation from or wanting to work with down the line. Also like someone else said, we sometimes have donors or alumni touring the facilities, so it looks a lot better to them to see students dressed nicely. If we're on campus after 5pm, nobody cares what you wear. Our dress code for lectures isn't super strict, the main things not allowed are T-shirts, sweatpants, yoga pants, leggings, short shorts and tennis shoes (jeans are allowed). It's also enforced more by our class officers than the faculty, I would be extremely surprised if anyone got formally disciplined just for dress code.

Maybe I'm already forgetting, but I feel like jeans and a t-shirt with a hoodie was my staple lecture outfit lol. Girls definitely wore flip flops. There were definitely a couple people who would wear sweatpants. I feel like everyone wore tennis shoes...I don't remember any faculty or staff ever saying anything - except for the one time that guy was wearing bunny ears on his head in class. No one really got that one. But as long as you don't look like totally homeless or aren't half naked, whatever, who cares.

One of our profs who was a dept head told us in class that when the AVMA accreditation board visited last year they commented on us looking "unprofessional" because so many people were wearing sweats (but they also visited in the midst of hell week)... and they minimally hinted at a dress code starting this year, but I haven't heard anything since and so I'm assuming nothing happened and I will continue to wear leggings all next winter. I think by the time we are in professional school if they are trusting us one day to take care of sick/dying patients they should trust us to be able to pick out an appropriate outfit for the day. I'm not one for sweats really, but leggings or jeans all day every day. I found it kind of strange though that of all the things they could possibly complain about for accreditation they picked on our outfits.

Maybe I'm already forgetting, but I feel like jeans and a t-shirt with a hoodie was my staple lecture outfit lol. Girls definitely wore flip flops. There were definitely a couple people who would wear sweatpants. I feel like everyone wore tennis shoes...I don't remember any faculty or staff ever saying anything - except for the one time that guy was wearing bunny ears on his head in class. No one really got that one. But as long as you don't look like totally homeless or aren't half naked, whatever, who cares.
Haha maybe they've cracked down a bit the past year or two. Like I said it's mostly enforced by our class officers, but we definitely were told in our admissions packets and at orientation that professional dress was expected. Some people bend the rules, but if we get too lazy our president will send out a reminder email. No one seems to care about jackets or hoodies thankfully since the lecture halls are always freezing!

One of our profs who was a dept head told us in class that when the AVMA accreditation board visited last year they commented on us looking "unprofessional" because so many people were wearing sweats (but they also visited in the midst of hell week)... and they minimally hinted at a dress code starting this year, but I haven't heard anything since and so I'm assuming nothing happened and I will continue to wear leggings all next winter. I think by the time we are in professional school if they are trusting us one day to take care of sick/dying patients they should trust us to be able to pick out an appropriate outfit for the day. I'm not one for sweats really, but leggings or jeans all day every day. I found it kind of strange though that of all the things they could possibly complain about for accreditation they picked on our outfits.

Interesting. I didn't hear anything about our students looking unprofessional during our AVMA accreditation days, and most of us look like lazy bums on the regular. Or maybe our school doesn't care enough to bother us with any dress code criticisms.

Interesting. I didn't hear anything about our students looking unprofessional during our AVMA accreditation days, and most of us look like lazy bums on the regular. Or maybe our school doesn't care enough to bother us with any dress code criticisms.
Same here. I'm pretty sure the AVMA has no official stance on student appearance.

They sell these vet med sweatpants... they are so comfortable... and they have POCKETS... I still love those things. Watch for that sign-up sheet when it comes around.
I received my first pair of OSU vet med sweatpants today and honestly these sweatpants just gave me that little bit of motivation to do amazingly on my renal phys exam tomorrow (technically today).

THEY HAVE POCKETS.

I received my first pair of OSU vet med sweatpants today and honestly these sweatpants just gave me that little bit of motivation to do amazingly on my renal phys exam tomorrow (technically today).

THEY HAVE POCKETS.

Buy a pair every year. They might be the only thing you keep wearing for years even after you graduate.

And enjoy the lovely softness of them when they are new. If someone could develop sweatpant/hoodie material that din't get scratchy with age when washed, they'd be rich...