Vet school‘s that don’t look at science gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nova11Athena

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do y’all know what schools don’t consider overall science gpa. What schools just look at their required course for science grades? My science gpa overall is horrendous. Also, what schools are leaning more towards experience than gpa?

Members don't see this ad.

As someone who applied with a very weak GPA...consider the fact that the majority of vet school classes are science based and a lot faster paced than undergrad prerequisites. Depending on where you are GPA wise, have you considered retaking anything to boost either science or cumulative GPAs? Then you could apply to schools that look a lot at last 45.

Reactions: 4 users
As someone who applied with a very weak GPA...consider the fact that the majority of vet school classes are science based and a lot faster paced than undergrad prerequisites. Depending on where you are GPA wise, have you considered retaking anything to boost either science or cumulative GPAs? Then you could apply to schools that look a lot at last 45.
Yes I am retaking some classes but the schools that look at science typically average the grades which doesn’t seem to help much. What schools look at last 45??

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I am retaking some classes but the schools that look at science typically average the grades which doesn’t seem to help much. What schools look at last 45??
As far as I know all schools evaluate science, last 45 and cum to some extent. You can look on specific schools websites you're interested in to get a better representation of how they may evaluate each of those.

Reactions: 1 users
It took me a bit of time to go through all the schools I was considering and find ones that didn't look at cumulative GPA, that my prerequisites matched, and that didn't have overtly high grade standards. Honestly it's worth the time to look for yourself mostly since every school can change their admissions requirements each year, but also you get to learn more about each school and whether each would actually be an option for you for other reasons.
I used the AAVMC's tuition map to see what schools were where and how much they cost, then went to each cvm's website for info. Then made a list of possible schools to apply to and a list of the ones that wouldn't work for me.

Reactions: 2 users
Unfortunately, since it's not even the new cycle yet, this would be best answered by the schools since admissions criteria have been changing the last couple of years. My cumulative GPA wasn't fantastic, but my 45 and others were, so I made a school list of the places where I had the prerequisites, which narrowed it down to 13 schools. Then I emailed them to ask specific questions (are retaken classes averaged or replaced; do you factor in the analytical section of the GRE; which GPAs do you consider; etc) in a bulletted list. The majority of the school just copied and pasted the list and answered the questions in a differently colored font.

Reactions: 1 users